Octane Booster

dragn

Reaction score
So I dont no much about them but can u use any kind of booster in a sled. I found one from nos racing that says it will raise the octabe by 6 octain levels (60 octane points) in clearly says on it that it takes 10 pints to make 1 level so it sound take regular gas from 87 to 93 if im right. But im curious what do I look for to make sure it is safe to use in my sled

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I dont no much about them but can u use any kind of booster in a sled. I found one from nos racing that says it will raise the octabe by 6 octain levels (60 octane points) in clearly says on it that it takes 10 pints to make 1 level so it sound take regular gas from 87 to 93 if im right. But im curious what do I look for to make sure it is safe to use in my sled
Just buy Shell Premium, it will maybe cost you an extra $7 to fill up a sled tank with premium over regular. That bottle of octane booster probably cost $5. I certainly trust the premium fuel over octane boosted regular. Plus there is usually ethanol in regular gas now.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That stuff wont get you from 87 to 93. It says 6 points but you have to know what 6 points means. Ususally its something like a gain of .06 of a full octane level. Save your money and just buy the proper gas you need.

dragn

Reaction score
Ya thats y I stated it said 60 points as I thought 1 point ment 0.1 and 10 points means 1.0 but I looking arou d town and the money I waste on booster are the same as the differene between regular and premium

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That stuff wont get you from 87 to 93. It says 6 points but you have to know what 6 points means. Ususally its something like a gain of .06 of a full octane level. Save your money and just buy the proper gas you need.

sorry pistonbroke800 this is the good stuff he is asking about, and more like $30 plus per bottle. and i think it will treat 40 litres of gas, not sure . but states it will raise gas a full 6octaine points. so a 87 to a 93 if mixed right.

what octane are you trying to achieve dragn? easier to start with 91 octane right off the hop. cheaper to. you may also look into ll100 av gas.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just buy Shell Premium, it will maybe cost you an extra $7 to fill up a sled tank with premium over regular. That bottle of octane booster probably cost $5. I certainly trust the premium fuel over octane boosted regular. Plus there is usually ethanol in regular gas now.

Bingo! Dont waste your money on booster. You cannot add enough to get the octane up and even if you do, it would take away the amount of volitility of the fuel itself. Buy a good premium fuel and if a higher octane is required, mix premium with av gas 60/40 at max.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres a product called hytrate

[SIZE=-1]Klotz HiTrate Racing Gas Concentrate[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Ref: KL-451
Increases horsepower and engine efficiency
Prevents damaging detonation and pre-ignition
Smoother engine torque curves for more useable power
Converts 92 octane unleaded into 105 octane leaded race gas. 100 octane aviation gasoline can be used to produce 110 plus.
Adds lubricity to dry unleaded gasoline
Allows higher compression ratios and advanced timing
1 gallon will make 9 gallons fuelAdditional handling of $2.00 applies to each gallon (reflected in price)

[/SIZE]

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Converts 92 octane unleaded into 105 octane leaded race gas. 100 octane aviation gasoline can be used to produce 110 plus.
1 gallon will make 9 gallons fuelAdditional handling of $2.00 applies to each gallon (reflected in price)

[/SIZE]
I would still worry about the ethanol in the fuel. Maybe if you are mixing it into premium fuel already.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo! Dont waste your money on booster. You cannot add enough to get the octane up and even if you do, it would take away the amount of volitility of the fuel itself. Buy a good premium fuel and if a higher octane is required, mix premium with av gas 60/40 at max.

i don't think your understanding the booster he is asking about, not the canadian tire crap, that may get you to 87.6 the stuff he is asking gets you from 87 to 93 octane .

if you use 87 regular, suggest ya add an ounce or two of seafoam also.

dragn

Reaction score
Ok well I dont plan on using it as an everyday thing but I live on a farm and have plenty of regular and died gas at my disposal so I figured it would be smart to have a booster in case I dont have time to run into town before a run around the fields with friends. And guessing seafoam is more or less a type of injector cleaner right. Where can I find seafoam is it at canadian tire or where

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes seafoam at cdn tire or just about any atuo parts supply. will clean up the effects of ethanol in reg gas.

what kind of money is the booster and how much gas will it work on? i got a bottle of it last year for emergencys, haven't used it yet. very expensive. got a few bottles of booster(torco accelerator) with dave b, worked out to a $1.00 per ounce, and 8 ounces treats 20 litres. mix at 80 to 1. boosts 91 premium to 95 octane. easy to mix,

Last edited:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run regular with nos octane booster and have on the last 3 sleds and the only engine issue I ever have was computer related not because of detonation!I always get a kick out of the guys in our small town preaching about only running premium!I usually shut them up by saying that fresh regular is a hell of a lot better than stale or old premium!!You can't tell me that the small stations are right full of FRESH premium when the snow hits!!Who knows what octane it is when you top up a underground bulk tank that has been sitting at 50% all summer and you fill it in December!Also with octane boost more is not better! Mix it to what they say and you'll be fine!And from one farmer to another if you get checked for running marked fuel just say it is high octane race gas!Usually works!LOL!!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should you ever get busted for running marked premium in a sled? From my understanding, marked premium is not allowed on vehicles that run on the road, because there are no road taxes built into the price. Therefore a sled should be fine. I don't run it in my sled, but I was just curious.

dragn

Reaction score
Well I found it at the rocky canadian tire for just over 8 bucks I cant remember the size of the bottle but it says it will do up to 70 liters it aint bad its about the same as the difference bwtween regular and premium if I buy it at the station. Being a farmer I get gas a bit cheaper on the farm. And do u no if u can run booster and that seafoam at the same time if need be.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first thing this product says, is bullchit.

Higher octane does not increase horsepower.

If you need higher octane, you can afford it, because you motor has been modded to need it and that alone costs $$, so get the real stuff, and don't look back.

[/SIZE]

Brad62

Reaction score
I got the same issues with gas.:p I got lots of marked reg and would get premium if I could. Barley farmer is right good fresh reg is a better bet than stale old premium. What I do is make sure the fuel is fresh and add some lucas octane boost to the tank. I run a 800 dragon and is real picky about its fuel so I run with the ethanol jumper plugged in and it runs a little rich, around home it doesn't matter much. When I go to the hills I run v-power premium or marked premium at Mcbride with the jumper unplugged. That being said some sleds will run well on any gas as long as it is fresh my wifes 500 indy runs like a top on anything its just a matter of knowing the machine.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I found it at the rocky canadian tire for just over 8 bucks I cant remember the size of the bottle but it says it will do up to 70 liters it aint bad its about the same as the difference bwtween regular and premium if I buy it at the station. Being a farmer I get gas a bit cheaper on the farm. And do u no if u can run booster and that seafoam at the same time if need be.

yes no problem running booster and seafoam at the same time

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you need higher octane, you can afford it, because you motor has been modded to need it and that alone costs $$, so get the real stuff, and don't look back.

i'm thinking it is a sales gimmick, and i don't think i'd be betting my money against klotz octane mixes. think they have been in the racing end of things lot loneger than u or i have been alive.

besides i'm not thinking dragn is looking for race fuel, just looking to up the octane of regular gas. besides i'd be using av 100ll long before any race gas on a stock sled.

Last edited:

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i run c12 myself. but the guys running hytrate say it works perfect. im skeptical about any snake oil additive, but if it does what they claim. works out way cheaper then c12

Top Bottom