Nytro Turbo or 2012 Summit?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right now i have a 2009 800 summit and its time for it to go. I cant decide between a nytro turbo or a 2012 summit 800. I know a guy with a 2008 nytro turbo with lots of goodies, and he spent around 30k on it. The turbo is a alpine turbo and he keeps it at 10lbs of boost, and uses 50/50 racefuel. It has slightly less than a 1000km on it and was only used as a spare sled. He would sell it for 15000. I cant decide between this nytro, or a 2012 summit. Any opinions?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have to ask you obviously dont have any particular riding style.

if you like to point and shoot and do some not so tight tree riding that may be the sled for you.

its also used and does not come with 3 year warranty.

how and where do you like to ride is the question

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've tossed this idea around as well, those turbo nytros look like a crazy good time, but i know from current experiences of mixing fuels and having a modded sled that i'll stick to pretty much stock in the future. some guys seem to have all the luck in the world with their modded sleds, but not me.

but all crying aside,

those 2012 summits look like a pretty sick sled, i'd go with one of those:beer:

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well not sure what riding style u like i had a turbo nytro they pull like a friggin train they are hard to throw around and they plow at slow speeds so if u like a point and shoot sled this is the sled for u and i have rode an xp they are very light sled to throw around and to boondock thru trees so not sure about your riding style but the skidoo xp would be my choice for a good all around sled

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well. i own a trubo nytro. and its not a point and shoot sled at all.. i love the trees with it more so then the hills. iam not a big climber.

i run 17lbs of boost on premimum fuel.. nothing more.. alot of guys run stright av gas but i choose not too..

i have had alot of seat time on the 2011 xp as i worked for a BRP dealer last year. and i actually find the handeling of the new xp alot like my nytro.. it was a very easy switch.... the best thing i can tell you is get some seat time on a nytro. they take a bit of getting used to. but once on a turboed sled. its a blast.

last weekend we were in waste deep snow.. there was 13 people in our group and we all had turbos except for 2 stock xp's and dont get me wrong everyone was getting stuck.. you just had a big advantage with how you rode having that extra power.

the one older guy on the xp was just shocked how well they worked. and i believe is getting one for next year..

so this here is a never ending battle with everyone.. my bigest suggestion to you is get some seat time on some.. and choose for your self. dont take oppinions from 10000 other people..

hope this helps you out a bit

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
taking a grandma tree run or shooting between two trees at the top of a chute is totally acheivable on a turbo nytro. :D

Last edited:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
taking a grandma tree run or shooting between two trees at the top of a chute is totally acheivable on a turbo nytro. :D

that is very true.. just alot more forgiving.. but going up throught trees.. you need to think 4 steps ahead of you.. just cuz of how fast you can get throught them

another thing to add. . in the wet heavy snow in revy last weekend.. climbing hills i would hold 125kmh track speed. and the two xps that were with us. one was 32, and the other was 39 miles an hr. that right there is a big advantage

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my riding style is im happy with just about anything. And this last weekend in valemount i tried out the nytro i was interested in, and holy man did that thing ever rip :eek: When i got back on my xp it felt like i was on a little 120cc kids sled. The nytro wasn't that hard to throw around though, as long as your on the throttle.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so jump on it. if youve tried it and liked it.

that nytro was probly 280hp and the xp at best was 130 on the hill that day.

just consider it will cost you 150 bucks to fill that beast with half 111 half premium

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True. But does anyone know about how many kms until the engine blows or something? Thanks! :d

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i ride all trees in the revi area> no climbs for me since my friend died in a avy. Griffin type terrain. All turbo two strokes in the group i ride with. Its sometimes easier for me in the trees cause the weight and power helps big time. The hardest part of a turbo nitro is the power makes it suck for people who think when they ride. Im the type of rider that just reacts to the terrain You arent going to roll through the trees wide open while looking around for where to go next on a turbo. It just moves so faast. Throttle control is everything with big boost. Its just one more thing to think about for the sledder. Once i got used to the nitro( trust me it toook some time)after a 1000km or so it like part of me and i love it. Never go back. Its cheaper now to build a good nitro. The suspension is good enough for every day riders. Around 20 k out the door which compared to a xp isnt alot more really. 2010 nitros will be cheap next yr. Big turbo, boost gauge, drivers, track and your off.. Two gallons a day of 111 for safety only. I have run 15 lbs lots of days just with shell 91. In big snow i turn it up to 17-18lbs and a little race gas. Also doos go boom sooner. Way sooner.

andrew

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 Nytro with 5000 km most of them boosted I ran premium fuel 14 pounds then this year ran a more aggressive timing curve and 18 pounds and ive been running 50/50 race.. Ive been towed out once due to yammis oil reservoir cracking at the bottom.. Little Jb weld back in buisness bought another new tank still havent swapped it out..

I ride with alot of XPs and etec's and a few turbos..We mainly ride trees where its tighter and deeper.. Anyone can point and shoot up faces and bowls etc ,, that gets boring fast unless your trying chutes..
The nytro can be a bear to handle but you have to use that HP to your advantage and let the sled do the work.. Takes some seat time to get used to and set-up like any other sled.. I jumped on my buddies xp then an etec last trip and i couldnt beleive how hard the xp was to side hill and get on its side etc the etec was alot easier but my nytro lays over better yet..
I still have an 06 rev fun sled but never gets used,, i but could never go back to a 2 smoke even with it turboed.. Like i tell alot of my budds get used to the weight and and have bullet proof reliability or keep rebuilding your 2 stroker or trading in every 2 years etc..
The new cat looks like a good platform boosted from factory and good skid etc.. be interesting to see how much boost that 1100 will take..

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread is hilarious. im out before i get myself in trouble. in the end get some seat time on it like everyone else said. im sure it will work for you man.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so jump on it. if youve tried it and liked it.

that nytro was probly 280hp and the xp at best was 130 on the hill that day.

just consider it will cost you 150 bucks to fill that beast with half 111 half premium

Wow $150 to fill a nytro 50/50 race??? Where do you buy your race fuel?? .. I run AFDs Trac-tek 111 oct is $2.25 per litre.. Cost me about $55 bucks to fill my nytro with 50/50 race/prem

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow $150 to fill a nytro 50/50 race??? Where do you buy your race fuel?? .. I run AFDs Trac-tek 111 oct is $2.25 per litre.. Cost me about $55 bucks to fill my nytro with 50/50 race/prem

i dont know if you buy from any VP distrubutor 20L is about 75$ those were the numbers im using. but obviously there are other options

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know if you buy from any VP distrubutor 20L is about 75$ those were the numbers im using. but obviously there are other options

Alberta Fuel Distributer AFD he carries the TRac-Tek line 109-118 octanes.. Bulk 111 is cheap it was actually $2 per litre + prov and fed taxes..My last barrel was just under $500 out the door.. 215 litres

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what ive gathered from a few buddies, they traded in their turbo projects on good solid stock sled. more time riding, less time fixing. the stock sleds now days are pretty nuts.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my advice is dont take advice from someone who doesnt know anything on the topic.

Meaning if you havent rode a nytro, how would you know.... but that being said it works both ways.

Personnaly i would not think you could bang through 36" spacing trees at crawlling speeds like a 2 storke, but i could be wrong. I have often though of this and 5+years ago your average 2S sled weighted 500lbs or more, and reality is still ride most of the same areas.

Top Bottom