Nytro powderlites turbo

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled is a 08 ....it has the boost it fuel system on it .....just wondering for you guys that have done your powderlites turbo installs...is there any quirks with the kit that give a guy headaches down the rd? I have totally dismantled the sled, reinforced the front clip, doing a tunnel dump, and cleaning/re powder coating a bunch of parts.

It looks to have the head shim....what's do guys run for boost on pump? 12, 15psi? (At '4500-10000')

08nytro

Reaction score
If it doesn't have braided lines coming from turbo to under the seat I would look at getting those. Lots of rubbing places. Check bov and if you have the ability to move it from the bottom of the inter cooler I suggest that. Check to make sure your not running the stock fuel pump and high flow too.

Sent from my iPad using

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a different turbo but with the headshim and upgraded fuel pump etc. and I run 10-12psi on 91 at 2000-6000ft above 6000 I would run 14psi

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coolant and oil return are hoses. Oil feed is braided. I'm installing heat tubes to protect the lines. 2680rs turbo. Bov is a mits on the bottom of intercooler ....after I run It and see might add another.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 444

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the charge tube for any leaks, especially where it leaves the tunnel or where it rubs. Check the waste gate and blow off valve for proper operation.

08Nytro, why should you move the blow off valve?

08nytro

Reaction score
Check the charge tube for any leaks, especially where it leaves the tunnel or where it rubs. Check the waste gate and blow off valve for proper operation.

08Nytro, why should you move the blow off valve?

Because when your scavenger pump doesn't return the oil fast enough the oil and any extra fuel or moisture will all collect on your bov. Will rust the spring and will stick. Besides it couldn't be in a worse spot when your trying to trouble shoot problems down the road.

Sent from my iPad using

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't argue that it is in an a$$hole of a spot for service. I hadn't thought about the oil and such, I will take a look. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many psi of boost you guys running on pump....this motor has a head shim in....I was told 15 psi is ok with the boost it controller at elevation. Should be similar to mcx270 kit I would think.....

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually run 12 psi, which is claimed 280hp with the stage 3 kit, I have run up to 16 on occasion. After seeing the hole in my charge tube (see a couple of posts before) I can't be sure of how much air actually reached the intercooler though. It is fixed now and my buddies don't know anything about it, I can't wait......

DooTraxx

Reaction score
12 psi is not 280hp. 16 psi at sea level is 270hp. I run shell 91 for 5000km now and see about 17-18 psi at altitude.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 psi is not 280hp. 16 psi at sea level is 270hp. I run shell 91 for 5000km now and see about 17-18 psi at altitude.

That makes more sense to me. No way 12 psi is 270. All my buddies run 17 ish at elevation on pump with the mcx's

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That makes more sense to me. No way 12 psi is 270. All my buddies run 17 ish at elevation on pump with the mcx's

General rule of thumb depending on a couple of factors 1psi = 7hp. So correct 12psi cannot produce 270hp. But you need to run 18-19psi for 270hp with good fuel. Plus it requires a system designed for that type of power (stag 3) large turbo and innercooler with bigger or extra injectors with minor engine modifications like head shim.
12psi will be about 220hp, a stage 2 setup. While a basic stage 1 (factory turbos) will not run more then 8psi, max output of about 190hp.

BTW i run 16-17psi with 25% c12, 91oct mix, have been since 2010, no issues. 245-250hp. I first started with a 50/50 mix as a safe.

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
General rule of thumb depending on a couple of factors 1psi = 7hp. So correct 12psi cannot produce 270hp. But you need to run 18-19psi for 270hp with good fuel. Plus it requires a system designed for that type of power (stag 3) large turbo and innercooler with bigger or extra injectors with minor engine modifications like head shim.
12psi will be about 220hp, a stage 2 setup. While a basic stage 1 (factory turbos) will not run more then 8psi, max output of about 190hp.

BTW i run 16-17psi with 25% c12, 91oct mix, have been since 2010, no issues. 245-250hp. I first started with a 50/50 mix as a safe.

Yeah this motor has the headshim. And boost it fuel/injectors. Was told safe at 15psi. All my buddies run pump fuel in there mcx 270 kits. No issues ever

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah this motor has the headshim. And boost it fuel/injectors. Was told safe at 15psi. All my buddies run pump fuel in there mcx 270 kits. No issues ever

They might be running the stage3 270kits but it doesn't mean they are pushing 270hp. They could be dailed down and running lower psi, they still need to run nearly 18-19psi to get those numbers.
Another thing to think about is the Nytro motor will take 245-250hp with nothing more then a head shim, long term. But anything more then that requires extensive motor mods, like reinforced rods ect. The Nytro motor will not take 250+hp long term in stock form, this is why so many go to the Apex motor...it will, its much stronger built and will handle the stress of 250-300 all day.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They might be running the stage3 270kits but it doesn't mean they are pushing 270hp. They could be dailed down and running lower psi, they still need to run nearly 18-19psi to get those numbers.
Another thing to think about is the Nytro motor will take 245-250hp with nothing more then a head shim, long term. But anything more then that requires extensive motor mods, like reinforced rods ect. The Nytro motor will not take 250+hp long term in stock form, this is why so many go to the Apex motor...it will, its much stronger built and will handle the stress of 250-300 all day.

Thanks for the info.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran up to 14 lbs on premium with my PL kit had headshim over that I ran 50/50 race up to 18 lbs , the timing was cranked up abit on bottom end using rb3 so used race for extra insurance.. If you have header off I would weld up where the three pipes come together I had to beef mine up in that area casue of heat cracks etc

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have converted mine to boost-it and changed the following:

- Installed Boost-It water to air cooler system deleting PL intercooler, Kept cracking (this adds higher HP at lower boost because the temp of the air going into the engine is lower than conventional air inter-cooled units.)
- Installed Turbo smart external blow off valve
- Installed Auto boost controller
- Made new headers, custom to the turbo, original ones broke several times
- Installed a MCX oil pump on the mag side of the engine
- Removed the Shockwave and installed clutching as per Boost-IT, believe its a 47 deg helix
- Upgraded turbo cartridge to a GTX2870 turbo
- Installed Boost-it control box
- Upgraded the charge tube and hoses
- Upgraded all hoses to braided lines for the oil cooling and coolant.

Now it works properly, when I had the PL system It did not.
I run 15 lbs all the time, just surpassed 20000 km, run VP-C111 about 1.7 gallons per tank and 8.43 Gallons of 94 Octane Fuel in every tank since new.

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have converted mine to boost-it and changed the following:

- Installed Boost-It water to air cooler system deleting PL intercooler, Kept cracking (this adds higher HP at lower boost because the temp of the air going into the engine is lower than conventional air inter-cooled units.)
- Installed Turbo smart external blow off valve
- Installed Auto boost controller
- Made new headers, custom to the turbo, original ones broke several times
- Installed a MCX oil pump on the mag side of the engine
- Removed the Shockwave and installed clutching as per Boost-IT, believe its a 47 deg helix
- Upgraded turbo cartridge to a GTX2870 turbo
- Installed Boost-it control box
- Upgraded the charge tube and hoses
- Upgraded all hoses to braided lines for the oil cooling and coolant.

Now it works properly, when I had the PL system It did not.
I run 15 lbs all the time, just surpassed 20000 km, run VP-C111 about 1.7 gallons per tank and 8.43 Gallons of 94 Octane Fuel in every tank since new.

20000km. Wow. That's some serious riding.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave at Powderlites told me a stage 3 kit makes 280 hp at 12 lbs. Could the guy who sells them exagerate? It never did make sense to me that could be while everyone else needs 16 lbs to make that kind of power. The local dealer (who is well respected in the Edmonton area) set my boost to 10lbs and said that should be about 240. I don't know if I believe any of it without a dyno. I know it pulls hard at 10 psi and a ton at 12+.
20000Km Ron? Wanna trade jobs?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom