Nytro MTX or XTX???

Captainkip

Reaction score
My question is should I buy the Nytro MTX or the XTX?

Got my first ride on an 09 nytro MTX today! It was sweet and everything I imagined the sled would be. Could not carve as there was not enough snow but the sled performed great otherwise.

I live in Meadow Lake Saskatchewan and I currently have an polaris RMK 800 VE 144. We dont ride groomed, but do have sweet trails to ride if we want, I dont ditch bang too much. We are mostly off trail in the meadows rivers, ect, anywhere the snow is really deep. I do love riding mountains but only have made it once in two years and have been only four times in the last 8 years, basically I love the tains but dont make it there as much as I would like
My dealer will set up the MTX clutching for here if I buy it and he says its easy to change back for the hills. The XTX would be good here but it might have too much shock (adjustability) for my riding style. Ill never bang the ditch hard enough to use em. I like the idea of the big track on the MTX for the deep we get into here but maybe its overkill for here. But if I dont get it Im afraid I will miss it in the mountains.

So which do I get?

MotoPsycho

Reaction score
Definately the MTX if you are out in the boonies. As a matter of fact, a 162 works even better! ;)

trucking

Reaction score
I would suggest the XTX, and put a backcountry track in it 1 3/4. The XTX will handle on the flats better with the new frount end goemetry which the MTX does not get for 09. With the track up grade you sould still do good in the mountains. Plus the XTX has better shocks on it, they are adjustable for your riding style.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought two 09 xtx's and love them. I haven't had the chance at any powder yet, but first indications are wicked.

Captainkip

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. Im sure I will just get the MTX but still have some thought to give it.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should talk to andrew (powderchowder) about the nytro. They need a turbo IMO. I'm not helping you dig that pig out this year when you do come to the hills.

Captainkip

Reaction score
Turbo shmurbo.......Im not that big of a hill climber anyway. For boondokin and what I want to do it will be sweet.

And of course one day a turbo will be in the works.

Slamnek, you gotta start thinking out side of the box. The Yamahas are sweet. Four stroke power is sweet. Anyway with the way work is I prolly wont get one for a while and by then they will be 500# and 150 horse and youll be giving me ch!t for still riding a two stroke when you pull up on your ski doo four stroke monster.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We watched a nytro try to climb a small hill at frisby this year and it was pathetic. He turned around, just about rolled and stopped beside us and was trashing his own sled. Check out a post in the revelstoke section about a dude that rode the new XP, M8 and a nytro. They are nice sleds but i garuntee that you won't like it in the mountains compared to your RMK. If you do buy one, keep the RMK and modd it out.

Captainkip

Reaction score
Ya and if you or andrew took that sled you would have made it twice as far and turned out sweet. Alot of it is rider. I know I could not do half the things you guys do on your sleds and I think Im a pretty good rider.

The smoke has to go. Gotta start thinkin family and I want to put a nytro and phaser in the stable so we can turn key and ride. Gotta keep it simple to get the kids and woman out riding. Even myself, I got a good wiff the other day of two stroke and it made me nauseous for the rest of the ride. Dont have the time or desire to tinker either.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you don't need to mod the motor, just light weight everything and a longer track. That motor is strong. That sled with a single pipe, reeds, clutching, 159x2.5 camoplast track, boss seat and light weight hood. It would be a mean sled!!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are not aggresive and don't mind the extra 100# when you are stuck the Yammie is a good sled, just don't kid yourself on how environmentally friendly th 4-choke is. Get an emmissions chart and do a real comparison with a new 2-stroke. Oh and by the way what areyou going to do with the used oil every change and the old lead/acid battery every second year. The four stroke is not as green as Yammie wants the world to believe. :rant::rant:
P.S. They don't even get better milage than a new Doo 600.:twocents:

DEVER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a Boosted Nytro owner, its difficult to be objective.

the stock suspension on the Mtx is poor at best! But the track length is good and the track is soft enough for some trail riding, the tipped rail are nice too for tight turning.

I have not ridden the Xtx. I would like to try one with a longer track. The front suspension and spindle are supposed to be MUCH better than the Mtx. and the Rear suspension can only get better!!!!

enjoy and good luck

Captainkip

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

I just went out to fix my sled. I had to reinstall the connector (for my ATTAC) into the top of my carb. It kept popping out so lock tight was not doing the trick so thought I would cold weld it in. Well I dropped it and it fell in the bottom of the sled. AAARRGGHHH!!! trying to find it at -28 sucks. I cant find it anywhere. I also broke a wire from the cdi when moving the airbox. Now I cant ride until I get it in somewhere warm to let it thaw and find the little nipple for the Attac and fix it and the wire. Man I hate not having a garage.

So now I stink like oil and gas from digging around under the hood and wont be able to ride for at least a week before I can look at it again. Once again my sled is a dead weight ornament on my lawn. Quad wont start so I cant even move it.

Maybe Santa will bring me a new sled. Merry XMASS to all!!!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree about the mtx- it is a sled that is great here or in the hills, The shocks are very capable of handling what ever 95% of the riders throw at them,

my buddy bought one off me last year and loves it, unless your a very aggressive hard core rider chances are you wont be using the xtx suspension to its fullest most times.
on the $$ side the mtx is still cheaper if you had to upgrade the track on the xtx and as far at the true track length goes, the difference on the ground is only 4.5" and if you look at the rear 2" of a 153 track it is barely touching the ground.

thats my take,

course after an early december trip to mcbride with a stock 08 apex mtn im hooked on the 4 strokes, i have a four sleds and just sold my 2007 m1 153
which i never thought would happen!
2007 M1 153 tweeked - sold
1998 700 msrx 151- tweeked
2004 800 mc crctunnel 151x 16 tweeked
2008 apex mtn stk
2007 phazer mtn turbo 140 hp

FSR

Reaction score
I have an 08 MTX, had it to the mountains once so far. Ya its not gonna be king of the hill but It goes everywhere anyone else goes. Defenlity could use a suspension upgrades but all around an excellent sled. I ride it in the prairies as well, and am very happy with the overall performance. It takes about a half hour to clutch it for flat land riding. You just need to put alot more weight at it. Your not gonna have the top end but who really needs to go 100mph. If thats what you want then you'd be riding and short track ditch banger.

Top Bottom