Nytro handling, what's it like?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
So I am riding a 2005 king cat, I had a 2009 assault how would the Nytro handle compared to these.

In our group we have an '03 1M and an '08 M6 sorry we don't have any Polaris except a 340 Indy Lite and I can't really compare the handling.

Our M6 has had extensive modifications to it as well to lighten it up. The 1M up until this year had none. What I can tell you the biggest difference between the 3 machines is the approach angle and the clutching in the stock form. You can creep that 1M along into just about any situation and not worry too much about getting stuck. It responds very well and quickly to rider input it. It has a linear throttle response.

Our M6 because it has been lightened so much is very very agile and quick to respond to throttle input. It doesn't creep along very well, while it does have the nice approach angle it is higher strung in terms of idling rpm's. It performs best at full throttle.

My Nytro in stock form had a terrible approach angle and the clutching was very harsh. It was either on or off. We changed up the clutching to I believe it was yellow-pink-yellow. This made a huge difference. The Nytro's also have a very high center of gravity compared to the Cat's. Then we took it down for it's big conversion.

Another aspect of the handling issues on the Nytro's comes down to a front to back balancing issue. The Nytro is designed to put the rider in a very "rider forward" position. So what you end up with is the majority of the weight ie the engine and rider centered right over the same space. Then you tuck the skis underneath this and you create a situation that you need maximum effort to create minimum change in direction of the sled IF you can effect change in direction at all without being thrown off the sled or the sled tipping over on you.

When you measure the distance between the steering post and spindle on a Polaris Pro or an M series sled it comes out to between 24 and 26 inches. When you measure the same distance on a Nytro you come out at 19 inches. What Skinz has done with their front end kit is lengthen that distance by 4 and a half inches thereby stretching out the front end. This creates a better geometry front to back. Then the sled will not dart and dive all over the place. It will not throw you off on a side hill because the center of gravity on the sled has been stretched out.

Jan

Last edited:

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post whats the Skinz front end kit worth?
Did it handle More like the M1 or M6 or nothing like ether?
is your nitro boosted.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The Skinz front end kit is $1055.00 plus gst and shipping. This is for the package without shocks.

I am going to be the only person on this forum who will tell you this and some of the guys on here give me a hard time for saying this but the fundamental issue with the Nytro's is not a lack of power it is handling. Once you address the handling issue you have a whole new machine. I have addressed the handling issue by changing out both my front suspension and rear suspension. I have a whole new machine!!! My sled is not boosted, I can get myself into enough trouble without adding boost to the mix!! If I did that my husband might not ride with me anymore!!!

Now as to which sled it handled more like....it doesn't really handle like either because I would describe our Cat's as low and light feeling. My Nytro feels higher, beefier and powerful. The changes that we have done to it have changed it from a point and shoot or trail sled into a true mountain sled. We have taken my sled last winter into places I would have never taken it previous years because we would have been in for a world of hurt.....read hours of shovelling.

Jan

Last edited:

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The kits come in both the 39in wide and 42in wide. You have to convert your shock ends to spherical ends. Nextech sells a kit to convert them. You then take this kit and your shocks to your local machine shop to be machined in or you can buy the kits with the shocks included. The kits that I order in do not have the shocks but I can get the shock packages as well.

Jan

Last edited:

Smoke Show

Reaction score
Well I finally picked it up. I hope I like it! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356059508.068001.jpg

PainfulPLeasures

Reaction score
Did you guys really think I was going to leave this thread alone?

The handling of a Nytro is 50% based on what you do with your front suspension and 50% what you do with your rear suspension. My Nytro has a Skinz 4 1/2 in forward kit on the front with the fox evolR shocks on it and a K-Mod suspension with the OFT racing 2 wheel kit and raptor shocks in the back.

The handling of my Nytro is like a dream come true. Before we made these changes I was ready to sell it. It was heavy, didn't do what I wanted, I was tired of fighting with it day after day. We made some pretty drastic changes to it and I couldn't be happier.

It's also the little things like the t-top steering post so the steering is more vertical, the freeride handle bars that are narrower than stock. Another big change was the camoplast extreme challenger track that was slipped under it.

My Nytro can hang with anything out there, the thing that holds it back is me!! The better I get at riding my sled the more my sled can dance!!

Jan

View attachment 143363
Just curious what skis did you pick to run with your front end setup??

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I am running the C&A MTX Skis on it.

An update on the Nextech kits. A few years back they used to sell a kit that you had to take the bearings into a machine ship to be inserted. Now the kit sells for $100.00 but you can do the work yourself you do not have to take it into a machine shop to do the work.

Jan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picking up a turbo nytro next week, has stock front end with exit coil shocks, will the skinz front end work with these shocks?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Most aftermarket shocks including Fox (when purchased aftermarket) come equipped with spherical bearings top and bottom, which is a must for the Skinz kit, so that would be the first thing to verify. Otherwise the Exit shocks should work fine as long as they have the correct eye to eye length of 17.5". Companies such as Yamaha have Fox manufacture shocks for their sleds to their specifications, so in the case of Yamaha one of the things they leave out are spherical bearings.

Last edited:

brutis20

Reaction score
I had an 08 XP 154 then I bought a turbo nytro with the steering relocate, timber rear and 240 MCX. I would take the nytro over that XP by far. The 08 XP was the lightest heavy handling sled I rode, that nytro even though it was heavier I thought handled just as well if not better than the XP. When clutched right it worked great. I would take the nytro over the XP.

Now I am on a pro and really like the chassis so I did go away from the nytro but was honestly surprised how good the nytro did compared to the XP. the weight doesnt go away but it handles it well and I think that front end kit would be good.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the chance to ride 5 different sleds include my own Brp Backcounrty I rode the 2012 nytro I thought it ok on the power side low end torque top end was weak had to watch your self in the powder it was a work out to get it unstuck, rode my sons 12 summit ptec did really well in the powder a little tippy on the trail I also rode 2013 etec summit great pull in the low to mid range did well side hill with it held the line seen like for ever this past weekend rode 2013 pro r Polaris did very well all round power, speed ,climb, trail ride, I found it to be equal to my Backcounrty maybe a little better in the real deep powder due to a little longer track then mine that my 2 cents on that subject

Top Bottom