99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Lake itself is at N52 07.022 W116 11.662 if you have a GPS and mapsource

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Know where ram falls is?? head north past the airport about a mile take your
first left and its about 30 or 40 miles down a trail,,,finding the alpine can be tricky if you dont know where you're going...it is one of a few designated Random snowmobile areas out in the area... You can get a map from the ASRD
There is closed areas that are well marked,,,stay out of those areas:beer:

(south of nordegg)

thanks lilduke , i do know where that is . the pic of the lake is nice . makes the 40 klms seem worth while when you see that , even better if there is no one else there .:beer:

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a cabin in Nordegg. I have never heard of Onion Lake, I am going to have to ask around on how to get there... I am very interested in checking it out. I sled around there and Quad in the summer. Anymore info would be great to know Cheers..

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it gets alot higher than that,, 8000 or 9000feet id guess and there
is some Black diamond stuff back there, when there is snow, believe me,,,
that elevation is probably at the lake once you get back into the hills its probably way higher.
A kid was killed back there in a avalanche in 97 i think, and i,ve seen plenty
of avalanches back there too,,,its no joke if its gets snow.and wicked big hills...

August Onion lake (at the lake,,you go way back into the hills on a sled...)(41miles is just the trail in.....)
009-3.jpg

the area that killed david is now closed as far as i know due to all the eastern slopes rules. i grew up with david and his brother, road the bus and the whole nine yards. rip david and ride that endless pow! not to sure on those elevations? never checked. tree line is around 7000 ft. and there are lots of trees.

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a cabin in Nordegg. I have never heard of Onion Lake, I am going to have to ask around on how to get there... I am very interested in checking it out. I sled around there and Quad in the summer. Anymore info would be great to know Cheers..

onion lake is on the hummingbird creek trail....not far from ram falls.

that picture is 6400 ft above sea level highest point that you can ride a quad on the trail system is 7200 ft according to gps been there many times
might hit 8000 foot on some climbs....dont think it goes to 9000 feet
talked to local rangers,they told me not tons of snow up there (compared to mcbride or valemount) but vey ridable nontheless

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went into Ranger Creek last yr late in the season (april) we re-named it DANGER CREEK, was a little sketchy getting in as alot of snow had melted already (no snow at start of trail + lots of rocks), had to cross a running open river to get to the trail. We figured if we were their 3 weeks earlier it would have been prime. First time we had ever been back their. I beleive from where we staged it was either a left into ranger and a right into Oinion or hummingbird? Took a long time to get in but once you get to the signed area "random sledding area" follow the trail up along/through the treeline along the ridge and it gets you in some amazing area. After you get to the meadows keep going and you will find the payzone. I was surprized on the size of the pulls here is a video and some pics, *NOTE* Please tell somone exactly where you are going if you attempt to go in these areas bad ch!t can happen in a hurry and their is absolutley no cell service - also we went in April as you can see not enough snow and hard on machines, best time to go is in Feb/Mar. We went in with two sleds and snapped a crank way back in on my buddy's sled and tried to limp it out but it siezed up. I had to pull his sled with mine a good 60k back, I'll never forget that trip.

Attachments

• 789 032.jpg
    789 032.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 789 033.jpg
    789 033.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 789 035.jpg
    789 035.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 789 039.jpg
    789 039.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 83

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no sense in going there if there is only 3 to 4 inches of snow, as there are a lot of land mines and gravel to get in. on the map with elevation lines you can get to 8400 ft on peaks sledding areas will be less. we need at least 2 + ft of snow for access into alpine, as there will likely be bare areas. if we get the snow this is very good riding area,as are ranger and sugerbowl .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the area that killed david is now closed as far as i know due to all the eastern slopes rules. i grew up with david and his brother, road the bus and the whole nine yards. rip david and ride that endless pow! not to sure on those elevations? never checked. tree line is around 7000 ft. and there are lots of trees.

I was back there the day he was burried, I never new him but it hit
close to home because I was 16,, around the same age as him. Just enjoying
the hills like him, That day I relized It could have been me or any one else that was back there,but luck wasn't on his side.

Since then Ive been around for several Fatal avalanche days(in BC) and they dont
get any easier...One minute you are enjoying the mountain with your friends and family and next minute your gone...

On a positive note yeh the area is great....when it gets the snow....
I'm not sure about the eastern slope rules??pretty sure you are allowed
any where within the designated area??

Every one have a safe year:beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry boys but this area can slide. any slope with snow, you should be doing snow pits as avi info is minimal and you are on your own. should be checking snow conditions every time you go out, for your own safety.

Top Bottom