Noise By-Law

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
In their battle against excessive vehicle noise, Calgary bylaw officers have proposed becoming the first in Canada to use the device, an Edmonton-made product called the Noise Snare.

....it videos your vehicle and issues a ticket based on breaking the sound laws...it was on the news a week ago when I was in Calgary on my Harley....

Linky

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Well today I was given a minor slap on the wrist...guess I shouldn't park on the sidewalk at the mall. I was wrong and was ok with the little lecture I was given from the mall security guy. Of course my son works in the mall and heard about it from a customer...lol...

It is however too bad our city didn't recognize motorcycles like many others and have designated parking areas for bikes...reason...Friday night the wife and I are out for supper and we watched a guy nearly back over our Harley...he simply didn't see it.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why do bikes need a special parking stall?

Can I get a special stall for my truck so nobody dings it? YES, its called the far corner of the lot.

Its a sideWALK for a reason........

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm KGR, i drive a Road King, i park at the front door.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
So why do bikes need a special parking stall?

Can I get a special stall for my truck so nobody dings it? YES, its called the far corner of the lot.

Its a sideWALK for a reason........

Many cities designate special motorcycle parking because you can fit 4+ bikes in the space of a car/truck. It is good for commerce and lowers traffic congestion. In a place where most people travel 1 person 1 vehicle reducing the size of that vehicle will effectively increase the capacity of the roadway.

We are very lucky in this country to have very few toll roads and ferries; the larger your vehicle the more you pay! Most pay ferries (including BC ferries) have a separate line for motorcycles--they load first and pay less. Motorcycles are also allowed in car-pool lanes. Many cities have congestion charges (~$20/day in London, motorcycles are free) and emmisions charges (~$50/day in London for high-polluting vehicles such as SUVs, econo cars and motorcycles pay nothing) and many places have a yearly road tax (essentially registration) which is based on vehicle/engine size--larger the engine the more the road tax.

Again, we are very lucky in this country.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have it on good authority that they started this whole noise bylaw crap because of the amount of people that were complaining about (sport bikes) ripping in residential areas and since they couldnt always catch them in the act they started this as a way to get back. BUt it blew up in their face when they found that around 75% of the bikes tested and failed at the amnesty day last year were harleys, including some of the actually police issued harleys. So its being tabled till they can refine it. I ride a sportbike with aftermarket exhaust and it passed along with 98% of the others I know with sportbikes. Its the harleys with straight pipes their apparently going after now.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
once u over the db level on a sport bike u most likely are gonna get a speeding ticket first though

mine is pretty low on the sound level if i cruise arround town but open her up on the highway and its loud

comes to a harley theyre always noisy at idle or at cruising

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Installing a butterfly valve in the exhaust tip should baffle some noise, and be a lot easier to engage than pulling out a dB Killer and stuffing it in the end of the can (if you were stopped on the roadside). I may have to fool around with that...

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got some pipes I found on ebay,,1/4 price of any dealer up here,supposed to come with 2 sets of baffles,.will see,,my bike is too quiet ,,,

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
I recently read an article in the Globe and Mail that said the inventor (from Edmonton) was tired of having his daughter wake up at night because of bikes with loud exhausts...the easy solution is to buy a house that is NOT on 75th street. It's like the people who buy a house across from an elementary school then complain when their road is congested at 8AM and 3PM every weekday--what did you think would happen? Are soccer moms going to trade in their minivans and SUVs for Cessnas or Pipers and parachute their kids into the schoolyard? THINK BEFORE YOU BUY!

Top Bottom