Noise By-Law

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the entire thing is a load by some dumb politician that lives near a guy with a loud bike.

Someone in Edmonton should run for mayor and snowandmud could vote for them.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
18.1 A person shall not operate a motor cycle that is capable of:

1. emitting any sound exceeding 92 db(A), as measured at 50 centimetres from the exhaust outlet, while the engine is at idle; or
2. emitting any sound exceeding 96 db(A), as measured at 50 centimetres from the exhaust outlet, while the engine is at any speed greater than idle.

Really? 4 db difference? Thats efftarded.

I dont have a bike, but I imagine that the same applies for any vehicle. If so, I better take er easy anytime I go anywhere.

Last edited:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
u guys would be suprised that pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is too loud
even the one i got on the ninja is 98db at idle and a bit over 100 when opened up

the thing i never seen here anywhere are db killers that are actually law to have back in germany to keep the noise down its mostly just a little insert that bolts into the end of the muffler

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny cause u can make as much nosie as u want from 9am-11pm, we were using a disiel packer that runs engine alone, at 100db, and with the packer engaged it was rated at about 160db.... the only way u could get introuble with the law was if 3 people complained about the noise... So idk if those same rules apply in edmonton???

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1. emitting any sound exceeding 92 db(A), as measured at 50 centimetres from the exhaust outlet, while the engine is at idle; or
2. emitting any sound exceeding 96 db(A), as measured at 50 centimetres from the exhaust outlet, while the engine is at any speed greater than idle.

Really? 4 db difference? Thats efftarded.

I dont have a bike, but I imagine that the same applies for any vehicle. If so, I better take er easy anytime I go anywhere.

That’s the problem with the City's new bylaw, it just targets bike's, when there are so many other law braking vehicles....like any muscle car , any diesel pickup with full aftermarket exhaust ( maybe not at idle, but put your foot into it and it's over the allowable db) then there’s the rice rockets.....

Both of our bikes are over, we just avoid the City or when touring through just don’t go nuts on the throttle..

the bylaw's a joke and has been tested in court and failed if you like spending money to beat it you can....so now there looking at changing it to include all the noise polluting vehicles……

Big Brother is listening…….and he knows whats good for you...

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all tickets that were challenged were thrown out,, if you get one fight it.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
all tickets that were challenged were thrown out,, if you get one fight it.

Rumor has it that some local bike clubs and dealers have stepped up to the plate for select Peeps to fight if needed....Imagine how much money in aftermarket parts would be lost if the bylaw continues...

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its a stupid law that is just ment to target us like really EPS has nothing better to do then write noise bylaw tickets??

I ride a old bike and GOOD luck finding a muffler that can meet there restrictions once the original ones have rotted out. my old school straight four idles at 98 and is WAY over 100 at cracked throttle ....im never goin to find a stock muffler (nor would i want to) that would be legal.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would gladly do the time, before buying a couple sets of new boots for the force. This whole thing is fawkin' retarded. I could tolerate it if it was fair, but targeting bikes only.......BULLCHIT

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh good. Can be loud till September before getting a ticket.

Sent from my kickass HTC Desire because Apple sucks!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
did anyone ever seen that machine yet ????

i dont understand the price of that thing

the testers they use in europe cost the police arround 4500 bucks and thats just cause they get calibrated by a special company

new one

dezibel-messgeraet-tes-1352a.jpg

old one they used

642091958_2_Big.jpg

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
THE CITY OF EDMONTON

BYLAW 15442

COMMUNITY STANDARDS BYLAW AMENDMENT NO. 2

Edmonton City Council enacts:
1. Bylaw 14600, the Community Standards Bylaw, is amended by this bylaw.
2. Section 13 is amended by adding after clause (c):
(c.1) “motor cycle” has the same meaning as in the Traffic Safety Act, as amended;
3. Section 13 is amended by deleting clause (e) and inserting:
(e) “sound level meter” means a device used to measure sound pressure which meets the American National Standards Institute S1.4-1983(R 2006), or the International Electro-Technical Standard No.123, or the British Standard no. 3539 Part 1 or the U.S.A Standard S1.4-1961
4. Part III is amended by adding after section 18:
a) emitting any sound exceeding 92 db(A), as measured at 50 centimetres from the exhaust outlet, while the engine is at idle; or
b) emitting any sound exceeding 96 db(A), as measured at 50 centimetres from the exhaust outlet, while the engine is at any speed greater than idle.

On April 29, 2010 Edmonton Police Chief Mike Boyd signed off the following report presented to Edmonton’s Police Services Board:

The Edmonton Police Services will charge violators at three (3) benchmark noise levels:
1. Violators in excess of 92 db(A) at idle for all motorcycles; or
2. Violators in excess of 96 db(A) at 2000 rpm for motorcycles having less than 3 cylinders; or more than 4 cylinders; and/or
3. Violators in excess of 100 db(A) at 5000 rpm for motorcycles with 3 or 4 cylinders

Policy is being developed to govern enforcement procedures and standards.

Total cost of equipment will be approximately $24,000.00 to equip the Service with eight (8) noise meter kits.

A public awareness and education program will cost approximately $15,000.00.

The 2010 Excessive Noise Program will commence May 1, 2010 enhanced with the new bylaw as soon as it is enacted.

According to bylaw 14600:
Bylaw 14600

Community Standards Bylaw

(consolidated on February 13, 2008)

Part III – Noise Control

1) In this Part:
i) “dB(A)” means the sound pressure measured in decibels using the “A” weighted scale of a sound level meter set to fast response;

Which is good, cause I tested my triple at idle tonight and there was a 12 dB difference between "A" and "C", the lower being "A." I have yet to test at 5000RPM, as I can't hold the spl meter and operate the throttle at the same time...so now I'm going to have to decide if I should have my 9yo son hold the meter and the tape measure or operate the throttle...

Of note, the edmonton bylaw doesn't state what orientation the spl meter should be held in (just 50cm back and 45 deg), however the Massachusets (sp) state diagram that I ran across on google showed the meter held perpendicular to the 45deg line from the exhaust, as opposed to pointing at the exhaust. Not sure if this will make a difference but I'll try it later. I may have to put my dB killer back in.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
perpendicular is the right way thats how they measure in europe

looks like itll come to the db killer here as well

will be pretty costly for a lot of guys that have pretty much straight piped bikes since a db killer aint gonna help that much on those

dirtydodge

Reaction score
OK this as we all know is just a money grab for the tofu eating prius drivers sitting on town ccouncil .

I have 2 bikes that are well above the fn limit .
I have a friend who's ticket was thrown out in court this winter . But was told the law will change to help the (law) get us offenders . What ever that means . More $ for them i guess .

What about all the rice burners with the super gayyyy pipes that sound just as retarded as much as they are loud . ????????
And what about the morons who have their stereos cranked up past the legal decible level . ??????????

I am here because of my loud pipes on my bike , it was the only way the import in the rice burner with his stereo blasting could hear that i was on the road in the next lane and got his attention as he tried to run me off the road.

I honestly don't give a crap about who does what and where , I like to turn my tunes up and yes i have a jacked up diesel truck. But I do feel the bike community is getting the short end of the stick .

Cow town is going through the same thing . I have friends that won't go into that town now as well , and we plan our rides around the cities because it just is not worth the hassle . Or the price of the ticket . :realmad:

Just my 2 cents on this .

Top Bottom