No Spark on 2001 Mountain Cat 800 (Carb)

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a 2001 Mountain Cat 800 Carb sled. Recently, he had the engine redone (new crank due to bearing play, new piston kit and bore due to a hole in one of the pistons and scuffs on cylinder wall). When we took the sled out to McBride for the first trip this year, he hit a rock and bent his handlebars forward. The sled ran fine for another hour or so, but on the way down the trail to the truck, it died. The engine quit like he hit the kill switch or turned the key off. As of right now, there is no spark on either plug. Here is the list of things that we have checked:
1. Continuity check of kill switch - functions properly
2. Continuity check of key switch - functions properly
3. Lights will come on while pulling the cord (don't know if that means anything or not)
4. Continuity of ground wires on engine - good
5. Stator removed from engine and 3 electricians/mechanics say that it looks good
Someone told him that it may be the ignition coil. I will be checking the resistance on it later today. Does anyone know if there is anything that we may be overlooking? Is there a shop with decent labor rates that may be able to diagnose this quickly?

Sled Specs:
2001 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 800 Carb
Rebuilt Engine
Vari-Flow
CPI Single Pipe & Exhaust
Air Intake Pods w/Prefilter covers

Thanks in advance.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tested the key switch with a continuity test. The loop is closed when the key is in the off position and it is open when the key is on the run position (exactly the way it should behave). I have also performed this test with the engine kill switch.

Top Bottom