No Outty Startie

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
Was out riding the other day, when all the sudden my outlander died. It turns over but wont start. Took the plugs out and not getting any spark. Anyone know what the problem might be. Ignition coil, bad wires?

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check ignition fuse, it might not be blown, it could be broken, happened to me a few weeks ago. Just change out the fuse, I think its a 5amp.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
Check ignition fuse, it might not be blown, it could be broken, happened to me a few weeks ago. Just change out the fuse, I think its a 5amp.

there was a 5 amp fuse blown. Was so happy thinking thats all it was. Changed it out and still nothing

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Possibly the wire to the fuse panel is broke. I just had this problem and found the wire to the fuse in the panel was broke. I had to do a continuity test on all the wires to find this. It was the wire from the coil that ran all the way to a connector and then made its way to the fuse panel. It was a bit white. When I cut it open it was separated, then I ripped the other wire out on the other side of the fuse panel, installed a fuse holder and new fuse and its all fixed.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
Possibly the wire to the fuse panel is broke. I just had this problem and found the wire to the fuse in the panel was broke. I had to do a continuity test on all the wires to find this. It was the wire from the coil that ran all the way to a connector and then made its way to the fuse panel. It was a bit white. When I cut it open it was separated, then I ripped the other wire out on the other side of the fuse panel, installed a fuse holder and new fuse and its all fixed.

will check this out tomorrow....trying to do everything i can from hauling it to the dealership! Thank you

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
A FUSE!!!!! It was a fuse! same frinkin fuse i changed the other day. Today i changed all the fuses to new ones. Checking all the old ones for cracks or whatever and nothing was wrong with any of them. After replacing them all, she fired right up :D but heres the thing, went for a quick test drive and got about 100 feet and it died again. Blew the same 5 amp fuse AGAIN. So i replaced it with a 7.5 amp fuse. Will do some chasing of wires to see if there is a short or something. Not smart enough to figure out that ohms thing (stay in school kids) Thank you everyone for your help, saved me alot of money

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Thats exactly what mine did. Did you look at my thread that I had for my renegade. I spent countless hours looking for an issue and it was a simple wire that was fatigue just outside of the fuse panel. It worked then the fuse blew, changed it, worked for a few minutes and blew again, changed it then worked for a bit, then completely died. Then I changed my coil thinking it was that, and still dead. After alot of investigation discovered it was the center wire going to the coil that gives it power. Had to install a mini fuse holder and put an independent fuse on that.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
Thats exactly what mine did. Did you look at my thread that I had for my renegade. I spent countless hours looking for an issue and it was a simple wire that was fatigue just outside of the fuse panel. It worked then the fuse blew, changed it, worked for a few minutes and blew again, changed it then worked for a bit, then completely died. Then I changed my coil thinking it was that, and still dead. After alot of investigation discovered it was the center wire going to the coil that gives it power. Had to install a mini fuse holder and put an independent fuse on that.

Yes sir, i did read ur post. One of the things i will be looking at when i get some more time for sure. I quickly looked at the wires today before doing the fuse thing, but nothing JUMPED out at me. But will definitely take a closer look. I recently did a complete frame swap, so really, who knows what it could be. Maybe a wire not were its suppost to be, something grounding, whos knows. I have about 75 kms on the new frame, which has me puzzled on what it could actually be seeing as it never acted up before. But thank you again for your research! Much Appreciated!!!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Mine failed 1 ride after I had taken my quad down to the skeleton and welded the frame then put it all back together. I went for one ride then had these problems.

The wire is a purple wire with green stripe. It goes from the fuse panel to a disconnect on the left side(if your looking at it from the front, this is a renegade however, but there is alot of similar layouts and components. It breaks at a grey connector, then goes to the coil center. On each side of that there is a wire for each spark plug that the computer sends a signal to each wire and it fires. There is also a ground wire, check that, if you have a bad ground it could cause some issues as well.
The purple wire at my fuse box was bent slightly and discolored, when I moved it around it was very loose and the wire was a bit white in this area, so I checked for continuity and there was none. So I carefully cut the wire and split it open, inside the wire was broken and corroded. There was about a 3/16" gap between the wires. As it was so close to the fuse panel I pulled the wire out, as well as the red wire that fed the other end of the fuse. Then installed a water tight, mini fuse holder and ran it beside my fuse panel. I also sealed the old holes with silicone on the fuse panel. The fuse was the very first one beside the large relay. See picture below.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a little electrical lesson for yah'all.

Votage is the force or the EMF (electron moving force)...... measured in volts and requires potential differance to measure (two seperate points). voltage is "across" swith open will read 12 volts, swith closed will read infinite volts..... good fuse will read infininte volts (each end is same point, no potential differance) bad fuse reads 12 volts.... potential differance. and is measure absolute or relative

current is measured "through" measured in amps and is what causes fuses to blow, to much current creates heat. Think of electrons as people, trying to get out of a collisium in a emergency, all bumping and grinding into each other trying to get out the exits.... heat, friction. finally to many electrons/people trying to get through a path and something fails.....and, so "pop" goes the fuse
resistance is measured in ohms. it is opposition or restricts current flow. resistors, lights, motors....all have resistance.... also to measure resistance there has to be isolation and no voltage.

4 things required in a circuit.....
source..... battery or some type of supply
control device....switch or relay.
path............wires/path
load.............. light, motor, electronics...

"Electricity is like human beings, always takes the path of least resistance"

Open circuit = Big voltage- zero current- 0 amps
Short circuit = Big Current- No voltage- infinite amps
Closed circuit = Current flow "through" and voltage "across"

Top Bottom