Newby needs help with stuttering take off

07summit

Reaction score
So guys here is the deal, I'm fairly mechanical but I have absolutely zero experience working on sleds other than changing some jets. We bought a couple of cheap sleds last year and the wife and I really enjoyed having them so I picked myself up an 800 but I need to get her 1998 ZR500 (bone stock) up and running before the snow hits. During the last trip out last year it began to stutter on take off. The engine is all good but it seems like it hooks up then lags then hooks up again a few times on take off. Once I'm moving its fine. Like I said I have very little experience with sleds but I'm game to tear into the thing with a little bit of guidance on where to look. So far I've looked at the chain case (seems to have no excess play in it - but I'm not entirely sure on how I should be checking these things) and at the track which seems to be at correct tension (1-1/2" flex in the middle) and going straight. I haven't really looked at the clutch at all because I really have no idea what I'm looking at or for. Any suggestions on where I should be looking. The Artic Cat guys here say they can't even look at it for 4-6 weeks, apparently they are too busy having coffee and bugging the sales chicks. I figure it can't be too hard to fix or at least eliminate some possibilities of whats wrong.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can find out how to inspect most parts of sleds on youtube.

Things i would check:

Check the belt could just be a thin spot in it. basicly make sure the wear is even.
With the clutches you’re looking for flat spots or grooves in the surface of the sheaves.
also have a look at your drivers maybe you have a tooth missing?

I am sure others will chime in on their ideas as to the problem.

Good luck and welcome.

FYI, if you tell us were in Alberta you are maybe a local S&M member may even come over to help you out. If you in the Grande Prairie I am in town most days by 730pm and would have a look.

07summit

Reaction score
Oh sure, you want me to tell you where I'm from now that I've hacked on the guys from the local shop. They may be lazy but they still have access to all the parts and pieces you know! Thanks for the quick reponse, I will take a look tonight at the clutches and belt. Also thank you very much for the offer to look at the sled but I am in Southern Alberta so its a little out of your way. We will call it close to Medicine Hat but not Medicine Hat to save face for the boys at the local shop and myself!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a belt. Change it and also inspect for broken springs. Shudders or multiple jerks when taking of is usually the belt

07summit

Reaction score
So I pulled the belt off this morning and I am just about certain that is what it was. It has one spot that is worn more than the rest and the entire belt appears to be worn a fair bit compared to the new one. Now I just need snow to make sure! Thanks for the help! That saved me a ton of time and money, greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom