Newbie to sledding, need opions

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are 4-strokes so they should be reliable. i don't have any first hand experience with any of the sleds that you listed above but I think you will have a harder time finding one in your budget than a nytro. These seem more readily available and are a little less money to begin with so resale prices so be a little lower .

The nitros do seem like nice sleds. i will keep my eye open.

dsenych

Reaction score
thinking about a phazer 4 stroke with the 144 track as i dont need a huge power machine but is that machine too small power wise. I am 6'2" 200 lbs. I like the reliability of the four stroke.

You will regret buying that machine. You might not think you need big power but if your 200 lbs I'd be surprised if you made it 10 ft the meadows. I had a friend who bought one when they first came out and he only took it on one trip before he sold it and bought an M8 … and he was only 140 lbs. If you're going to put 5000km on a year then I would look at a 4 stroke but if your going to head to the mountains 3-4 times a year with some moderate ditch banging then buy a M7 or a 08 Summit XP

Last edited:

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an apex and Phazer. I'm 6'1" 195lbs and the Phazer will handle meadows no problem. But if you screw up there is not a lot of powder in reserve, but the real problem is the track. The stock track is to soft. It's not going to go up anything with a lot of powder on it. It's a fun sled and a great beginner sled. But if you're into other motor sport already and you're an aggressive rider you will find it lacking after a year or two , depending on how much you get out.

I think the Nytro would be a better fit and a sled you should be able to run for years. Try and get a 2010+ if your budget allows.

Set from my slave driver

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys. I think i am leaning towards a nitro. I have a set of tatou 4s atv tracks for sale if anyone is interested. $3200. come with mount kits for a brute force with independant suspension.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome to sledding I'm sure you will find that most sledders will help with anything you need.
If a person runs good oil and warms up there sled, the 2 strokes are very relabel. my vote would be for a crossfire or a m8. I would recommend buying a slightly larger sled then you think you need because of your past motorsports experience. Also if you plan to hit the mountains its would be smart to take your AST1 or at least for your first time go with experienced riders and if you like it then get trained up. A good sled could get you into trouble if you don't know what to look for.

Good luck

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are your guys opions on a 2006 RMK 700 144. 2500 miles. 500 miles on rebuild. I can get this machine for $3300.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would pass on the 700. Those machines had a lot of engine vibration issues as well as strong arm steering unless you change spindles.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are your guys opions on a 2006 RMK 700 144. 2500 miles. 500 miles on rebuild. I can get this machine for $3300.

The 700 po po is like the kitty 700, not many issues, enough power, good on gas

Pretty good price as the motor is 2400

Honestly I would pass on the 700. Those machines had a lot of engine vibration issues as well as strong arm steering unless you change spindles.

What are talking about, vibration on a 700???

Think u mean the 755, being the same as the 900, if it's the 755 think they where p.o.s motor

sent while I should be drinking tea's

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here it is. photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still leaning towards the nitro but this one is a pretty good price.

camarogreg

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Switchback with a 144, similar to the RMK but likely a bit heavier machine with less track lug (1.25 deep). It has the 600 and has been a great sled, replaced the clutch spring and rejetted for higher altitude. The reverse is a must for all my future sleds. The opinions vary on the 700, I would have bought it if it was offered. The 600 is 120 hp, shy of 35 ponies compared to the 800s, but the 700 was more reliable than the 800. My two cents.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Nytro is a bulletproof sled and there are lots out there for a great price. They do need one upgrade for sure and that is the track. The maverick track is like riding around your bike on a bald back tire. Make sure you have enough cash to buy a Camo-Extreme. And you can upgrade to a 16 wide with very little work. then spend a day on suspsension settings getting the power to the track. They are night and day different with a days work. There are turboed Nytros with 20,000km on them that run all day every day. Im sure a Stocker would run foreverer with basic maintenance. Another cheap upgrade is to take out the stock exhaust system and drop about 20lbs off the back of your sled and keep the snow and ice from building up under your tunnel adding another 20lbs.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what year did the newer style nitros start?

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on the yamaha apex or rx1. i know they are heavy but i heard that the motors are bulletproof.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
what year did the newer style nitros start?

Nytro's came out in 2008. I have a 2008 turbo nytro that is boosted at 15psi that just went over the 20000km mark. Every year I put on between 2500 - 3000 km. After hitting the mountains in 2001 I became addicted to them and don't ride much on the flatlands
A nytro is a tougher sled to ride than a skidoo, cat or a polaris. But once you set it up for yourself you can have a lot of fun. they are very reliable. After a while you may find there underpowered if you ride the mountains and you will want to spruce it up a bit. The best modification would be a turbo -180 kit or 230 kit would really do that. Recommend a MCxpress, MPI, or Boost-it turbo. When you go low boost it's not just cheaper it is easier on parts. More power you have more maintenance is required.
For a first sled my personal recommendation would be a 2008 Skidoo summit 154

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, 20000kms, thats impressive. thanks for the info.

Top Bottom