New welder

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned Hypertherm is the only option when it comes to plasma cutters, not to say the others don't work, but ours are step one in the fabrication process, they need to work all the time and when they don't I need access to parts and service, Hypertherm has had excellent service for us and all our suppliers carry hypertherm parts and consumables. We have a Powermax 45 and 85 for hand-operated work, and we have an XPR 300 (that power supply alone is the size of a typical kitchen stove) that powers our combination pipe cutter and plasma table.

It really depends on what you need it for though, if its just used occasionally on thinner material a small 30amp unit might get you by, if its for production type work on thicker material you're going to want much more amperage.

Gotta agree with you hypertherm makes nice machines. But I personally don’t like cutting steel with a plasma. I will use a good clean torch any day. The smoke off them turns me green. But there is times and materials where you needs them!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with you hypertherm makes nice machines. But I personally don’t like cutting steel with a plasma. I will use a good clean torch any day. The smoke off them turns me green. But there is times and materials where you needs them!

I agree the smoke is absolutely gross, but unfortunately the economics of it dictate that plasma is the way to go. On our machine I can turn a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plate into a pile of clips and stiffeners (including bolt holes) in under an hour, on the pipe side I can bevel both ends of a pup and cut the olet holes in less time than it takes to pre-heat the first cut with an oxy-acetylene torch. I was cutting 16" sch80 with it a couple weeks ago, at 300 amps it takes about 40 seconds per bevel, and the cut looks like glass when its done.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the smoke is absolutely gross, but unfortunately the economics of it dictate that plasma is the way to go. On our machine I can turn a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plate into a pile of clips and stiffeners (including bolt holes) in under an hour, on the pipe side I can bevel both ends of a pup and cut the olet holes in less time than it takes to pre-heat the first cut with an oxy-acetylene torch. I was cutting 16" sch80 with it a couple weeks ago, at 300 amps it takes about 40 seconds per bevel, and the cut looks like glass when its done.

Yah the speed is hard to beat that’s for sure! I have never beveled pipe with one. Never had the barrel end for it, only old school torch beveler

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah the speed is hard to beat that’s for sure! I have never beveled pipe with one. Never had the barrel end for it, only old school torch beveler

It’s slick. On the bigger stuff use a drill on the handle.
IMG_2858.png

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We had a barrel touch for our powermax 85, they work pretty good and way faster than oxyacetylene, but 1" wall thickness is max for that setup, 105 would go thicker though. We have since acquired one of these, powered by an XPR 300, this is cutting a 6" on 6" dummy leg, I wish I would have snapped some pictures of those 16" cuts, it puts every other process I've ever seen to shame:

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back everyone.
WOW, A bit extravagant for what I was looking for. lol Pretty cool stuff though.
I guess I should have mentioned I was looking for a hand held version for smaller projects.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back everyone.
WOW, A bit extravagant for what I was looking for. lol Pretty cool stuff though.
I guess I should have mentioned I was looking for a hand held version for smaller projects.

Lol, yeah that machine is the better part of a million $, not really a hobby/small shop machine.

The one thing I'd recommend is see what your supplier carries for machines and consumables, it's probably best to buy what they sell most of because they should be stocking parts for that machine. Granted Amazon is starting to carry these consumables as well and can eliminate the local supplier all together.

Like I already said I'm partial to HyperTherm, and a powermax 35 is pretty price competitive with the other brands and should suit your needs. It also comes in the 35 air that has an onboard compressor if you need portability.

Top Bottom