New to the Doo!! XM 174

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skid moves towards rear = better attack angle sled stays flatter on the snow while climbing. look at what mountain magic does with there specialty climbers. they can use a 155 skid in a 162 they move it so far back. now with the t3 being 27mm higher up i think they had to move the skid back otherwise the attack angle would be a wall.

Any of you guys relying on maxwells assurances better watch his videos before drinking the doolaid. Reality is they could add 50 lbs, make it a 127 inch ( as long as its 16 lol) move the rider back or ahead a foot, paint it bright yellow, put an actual steering wheel on it, make it narrower (again) and his opinion would remain exactly the same. It's an opinion based 100% on decal and ego, not different riding styles, different user expectations, or access to reliable dealer.
And climbing, ??????, the ones we ride with climb great, but the videos he posts, not much climbingnive seen, just wheelying back and forth on treed inclines and IMO that's not what everyone wants to do all day everyday. We have quite a few in our riding group, awesome sled, but maybe not the best choice for everyone, couple other good choices now. Looking forward to seeing the 15's when they hit the snow.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys relying on maxwells assurances better watch his videos before drinking the doolaid. Reality is they could add 50 lbs, make it a 127 inch ( as long as its 16 lol) move the rider back or ahead a foot, paint it bright yellow, put an actual steering wheel on it, make it narrower (again) and his opinion would remain exactly the same. It's an opinion based 100% on decal and ego, not different riding styles, different user expectations, or access to reliable dealer.
And climbing, ??????, the ones we ride with climb great, but the videos he posts, not much climbingnive seen, just wheelying back and forth on treed inclines and IMO that's not what everyone wants to do all day everyday. We have quite a few in our riding group, awesome sled, but maybe not the best choice for everyone, couple other good choices now. Looking forward to seeing the 15's when they hit the snow.

i appoligize for my lack of large climbs. i do not enjoy death all that much so i try to limit it as much as possible. and the wheelies...100% on purpose. i can make that thing stay flat in all my videos but it actually makes it even more boring to watch. you may think the wheeyling back and forth is not what everyone wants to do but my inbox is flooded with people asking me how i made my sled do that so someone wants to do it LLOLOL. i dont know how straight up climb performance is relative on a factory machine. they all suck at it if you want to climb big hills in deep snow you should have a turbo. throwing 10 sleds at the same steep deep hill of any brand they will outdo eachother by 2ft every time until they go over the top.

wait you watched my videos? i am so honoured.:d

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i appoligize for my lack of large climbs. i do not enjoy death all that much so i try to limit it as much as possible. and the wheelies...100% on purpose. i can make that thing stay flat in all my videos but it actually makes it even more boring to watch. you may think the wheeyling back and forth is not what everyone wants to do but my inbox is flooded with people asking me how i made my sled do that so someone wants to do it LLOLOL. i dont know how straight up climb performance is relative on a factory machine. they all suck at it if you want to climb big hills in deep snow you should have a turbo. throwing 10 sleds at the same steep deep hill of any brand they will outdo eachother by 2ft every time until they go over the top.

wait you watched my videos? i am so honoured.:d

So when you do climb, you track poach also !!! Sheesh. Get out there in the new snow, it's fun, and enlightening, you might be surprised what you find out.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone rides different. but riding styles have progressed to other things other than climbing. having a light front end that is easily manipulated in the tight trees is a necessity for some. being able to flip a 163 on the spot and come down in your same track is a pretty important.

you can manipulate a wheelie happy sled with body position to perform and climb the way you want but you cant manipulate a nose heavy sled to dangle properly LOL.

if your like the average guy who puts his feet to the back of the running boards, stands up and pulls back during a climb YUUUP your going to have problems.
I had a ton of fun with it at stock settings and I'm not climber but I couldn't even get it out of some cut blocks without poking and poking at it. Pulled the strap up one hole and problem solved. Still light enough in the front to boondock and have fun with but climbs reasonably well now. The breaking point for me was trying to climb and turn into a sidehill on a really deep day and this little knoll kept kicking the front end straight up. Many great days since.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right. because i just make this **** up for fun. get real. for what purpose would my information not be "honest"? i have nothing better to do than come on here and make **** up. appreciate your "honestly".

here is your ideal "climbing and no trenching suspension setup"

rear springs @ 5

front track shock softest setting

limiter strap 2 holes tighter.

replace rear rear shock with adjustable raptor set to clicker 20.

the soft front spring will allow it to soak up bumps in the climb and the stiff rear setup will keep the nose planted. the tigher limiter strap will increase your ski pressure and create a lower attack angle.

honest, but your sled will handle like crap.

there ya go maxwell !! now thats being honest!!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skid moves towards rear = better attack angle sled stays flatter on the snow while climbing. look at what mountain magic does with there specialty climbers. they can use a 155 skid in a 162 they move it so far back. now with the t3 being 27mm higher up i think they had to move the skid back otherwise the attack angle would be a wall.

thank you...see its not so hard.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suspension set up is different for different riding styles like Maxwell say's. Its all what you want to accomplish.

you have to assure maxwell your not bashing his brand...took a bit but got some good info out of him...lol :)

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im also a bit heavier of a guy. It seemed when i was on the 13 that it was set up quite soft, mayb thats how there supposed to be but. is there anything i should beef up suspension wise or watch for?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im also a bit heavier of a guy. It seemed when i was on the 13 that it was set up quite soft, mayb thats how there supposed to be but. is there anything i should beef up suspension wise or watch for?

i ordered mine with the front raptors, that should help stiffen the front when you need it. the t3 has improved suspension so it may not even be a issue.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front raptors should be a good combination. The 174 really bridges the bumps we'll and I didn't have an issue with the rear suspension at all. But the front still has the same kyb shocks on it which are definetly too soft for any big hits, rough trails or bigger riders. If you don't want to spend the 1100$ on front shocks check into Enzo triple rate springs and revalve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front raptors should be a good combination. The 174 really bridges the bumps we'll and I didn't have an issue with the rear suspension at all. But the front still has the same kyb shocks on it which are definetly too soft for any big hits, rough trails or bigger riders. If you don't want to spend the 1100$ on front shocks check into Enzo triple rate springs and revalve.

How much will that cost and what do they actually do to the shock?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure on both accounts. I do know they change the valveing, new synthetic oil and new springs but other than that not sure. Just heard lots of people rave about it

Carl Kuster is a huuuuuuge fan of Enzo's work. Considering Carls success in hillclimb competitions (aka uphill snocross) that is good enough for me.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only negative to stiff shocks is they don't initiate a side hill as nice as the stock shocks. Takes a little more effort even with my raptors down to clicker 2. The stock shocks are so soft when you pull the sled over they almost bottom out but it actually helps initiate the side hill. But at the end of the day my whooped out trail ride bumps and jumps are much more enjoyable now

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only negative to stiff shocks is they don't initiate a side hill as nice as the stock shocks. Takes a little more effort even with my raptors down to clicker 2. The stock shocks are so soft when you pull the sled over they almost bottom out but it actually helps initiate the side hill. But at the end of the day my whooped out trail ride bumps and jumps are much more enjoyable now

I have the Enzo set up on my 163 xm and its awesome. Rides a lot better than my freeride. It's softer than the freeride but yet ddoesnt bottom out on the rough trails. And Kuster is the guy who steered me that way also.

Top Bottom