New to the Doo!! XM 174

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much for a extra key? and will it cost more later if i lose it?

im not sure what these new keys will retail for but i think the old keys were around 50$. and no it will never cost more if you lose it. all they need is the machine to match a new key too is the only pain. but they still need it anyways to make 2 keys to start with so it really doesnt matter other than they cant make you a new key on the hill so get a spare LOL

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no deffinetly not. it still changes the powerband but its much much less noticable than the mbrp

Do you think it'll be worth the couple extra lbs lost for a potential loss on mid range HP?

I'm asking because I'm going to be n-n-n-n-naturally a-a-a-a-aspirated next year. Wow that was hard to say haha

Also I wonder what a big bore would ride like...

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't bother with clutching

I got a clutch kit .. thought I liked it at first .. then going back and forth to stock sleds realized stock clutching was better, not to mention blowing 4 belts in a season.. even after tweaking it, and tweaking it again ..

If I do anything fancy I might go with a team tied secondary and leave the primary alone .. rode a xm with that setup and it was real nice

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
since im new to the xm and real new to the t3. the time i spent on a xm it seemed to trench. not that other sleds i have dont but more often and deeper. it might just be me needing to adjust to the xm.

ive heard its the way the suspension was setup..etc...but it was a bone stock rental.
and i dont even know if the t3 will have the same suspension.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Brp engineers spent a lot of time developing the clutching, exhaust, suspension and performance on the t3.... Just drive it..... You won't be disappointed!!! Forget about any mods until you ride it.... It's dialed in pretty good.....

Unless you turbo it ;) .... Ya, baby

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
since im new to the xm and real new to the t3. the time i spent on a xm it seemed to trench. not that other sleds i have dont but more often and deeper. it might just be me needing to adjust to the xm.

ive heard its the way the suspension was setup..etc...but it was a bone stock rental.
and i dont even know if the t3 will have the same suspension.

it doesnt trench any worse than any other machine. but the limiter straps do come set on the light side from the factory. pull it up one hole if you like but the factory position is nice keeps the front end feeling weightless in a climb and through the trees.

one reason why you may seem to think its trenching is because you can actually putz around much slower and continue climbing much slower than a 15 wide track with less power.

from my experience riding the cat and the pro you are WFO doing anything. and once you feel it losing momentum you are fawking stuck big time and fast. the XM just keeps tractoring along digging massive trenches but thats the nature of the beast traveling at 5km/h accross a steep hill with a 60kmh trackspeed. ive done some side by side tests and it pulls up on top of the snow the same if not better and keeps on chugging much further.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but the limiter straps do come set on the light side from the factory. pull it up one hole if you like but the factory position is nice keeps the front end feeling weightless in a climb and through the trees.

Lol put the doolaide down. Stock the straps are so loose that it can't climb, the slightest bump sent the nose sky high. Was it fun? Fawk yeah but also useless when even my fat azz can't keep the front end down. Tightened it up a hole and now it's slightly less fun but climbs well and doesn't rodeo when you're sidehilling and hit a lump.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol put the doolaide down. Stock the straps are so loose that it can't climb, the slightest bump sent the nose sky high. Was it fun? Fawk yeah but also useless when even my fat azz can't keep the front end down. Tightened it up a hole and now it's slightly less fun but climbs well and doesn't rodeo when you're sidehilling and hit a lump.

everyone rides different. but riding styles have progressed to other things other than climbing. having a light front end that is easily manipulated in the tight trees is a necessity for some. being able to flip a 163 on the spot and come down in your same track is a pretty important.

you can manipulate a wheelie happy sled with body position to perform and climb the way you want but you cant manipulate a nose heavy sled to dangle properly LOL.

if your like the average guy who puts his feet to the back of the running boards, stands up and pulls back during a climb YUUUP your going to have problems.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it doesnt trench any worse than any other machine. but the limiter straps do come set on the light side from the factory. pull it up one hole if you like but the factory position is nice keeps the front end feeling weightless in a climb and through the trees.

one reason why you may seem to think its trenching is because you can actually putz around much slower and continue climbing much slower than a 15 wide track with less power.

from my experience riding the cat and the pro you are WFO doing anything. and once you feel it losing momentum you are fawking stuck big time and fast. the XM just keeps tractoring along digging massive trenches but thats the nature of the beast traveling at 5km/h accross a steep hill with a 60kmh trackspeed. ive done some side by side tests and it pulls up on top of the snow the same if not better and keeps on chugging much further.

i did get the tractor feeling like it kept going when my other sleds would have made me want to turn out. however i did find myself pointing up and track way down.
im not saying its a bad thing i know it performs different. just my experience with the xm so far and was noticeable even with the other guys i was riding with that weekend.

maxwell im looking for info on the suspension setup guys are using not promoting a brand.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats the kind of honest info im looking for. im close to 250lbs with the avy pack and gear. the t3 is supposed to have the rear suspension mounting brackets beefed up and located further back on the skid, what is this accomplishing...or supposed to help.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone rides different. but riding styles have progressed to other things other than climbing. having a light front end that is easily manipulated in the tight trees is a necessity for some. being able to flip a 163 on the spot and come down in your same track is a pretty important.

you can manipulate a wheelie happy sled with body position to perform and climb the way you want but you cant manipulate a nose heavy sled to dangle properly LOL.

if your like the average guy who puts his feet to the back of the running boards, stands up and pulls back during a climb YUUUP your going to have problems.

i did find i didnt need to move my feet back at all during turns or initiating side hills. the xm is very easy to lay over, the trenching thing may be just because im not a skilled rider. but have heard of it even before i got on one from my friends who own them.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brp engineers spent a lot of time developing the clutching, exhaust, suspension and performance on the t3.... Just drive it..... You won't be disappointed!!! Forget about any mods until you ride it.... It's dialed in pretty good.....

Unless you turbo it ;) .... Ya, baby

i think your right, its going to be a different creature.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get some fat boy springs on the rear skid at predelivery. This will make a huge improvement for you if you are in the 250 range.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the kind of honest info im looking for. im close to 250lbs with the avy pack and gear. the t3 is supposed to have the rear suspension mounting brackets beefed up and located further back on the skid, what is this accomplishing...or supposed to help.

i did get the tractor feeling like it kept going when my other sleds would have made me want to turn out. however i did find myself pointing up and track way down.
im not saying its a bad thing i know it performs different. just my experience with the xm so far and was noticeable even with the other guys i was riding with that weekend.

maxwell im looking for info on the suspension setup guys are using not promoting a brand.

right. because i just make this **** up for fun. get real. for what purpose would my information not be "honest"? i have nothing better to do than come on here and make **** up. appreciate your "honestly".

here is your ideal "climbing and no trenching suspension setup"

rear springs @ 5

front track shock softest setting

limiter strap 2 holes tighter.

replace rear rear shock with adjustable raptor set to clicker 20.

the soft front spring will allow it to soak up bumps in the climb and the stiff rear setup will keep the nose planted. the tigher limiter strap will increase your ski pressure and create a lower attack angle.

honest, but your sled will handle like crap.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

skid moves towards rear = better attack angle sled stays flatter on the snow while climbing. look at what mountain magic does with there specialty climbers. they can use a 155 skid in a 162 they move it so far back. now with the t3 being 27mm higher up i think they had to move the skid back otherwise the attack angle would be a wall.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suspension set up is different for different riding styles like Maxwell say's. Its all what you want to accomplish.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right. because i just make this **** up for fun. get real. for what purpose would my information not be "honest"? i have nothing better to do than come on here and make **** up. appreciate your "honestly".

here is your ideal "climbing and no trenching suspension setup"

rear springs @ 5

front track shock softest setting

limiter strap 2 holes tighter.

replace rear rear shock with adjustable raptor set to clicker 20.

the soft front spring will allow it to soak up bumps in the climb and the stiff rear setup will keep the nose planted. the tigher limiter strap will increase your ski pressure and create a lower attack angle.

honest, but your sled will handle like crap.

Huh will ya look at that, I got the same skid set up after screwing with it

Other than I'm poor and no raptors

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Top Bottom