new to snowmobiling need help

tbro47

Reaction score
HI veryone I am a newbie to snowmobiling and just bought two new 09yamahas, a nytro MTX for me and an XTX for my wife. I've never ridin a mountain sled before and took my first ride last weekend. put on over a 100 miles it was awesome. I love the four stroke power and everyone we rode with was really impressed with the new sleds. Not being used to such a long sled I of course rolled lots. it seemed my MTX was really responsive and tippy. the XTX was awesome and super stable. I know i'm not used to the long sled and am new too riding but is there anything i can do to make it more stable and easier to balance especially when side hilling? I was thinking about getting some handle bar extensions and really need a left hand throttle. the skis seem to dart alot too how much difference would it make to get different skis? should just keep it stock til I get used to riding more or try and change some things?

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, on the Mtx you can take the skis and adjust the stance of them.. there are the two collers on either side of the knuckle, just remove the bolt and put the two collars on the inside of the knuckle and it will widen the ski stance. and if you are on a hard trail or have a crust on a lake the skis will dart all over the place do to the deep keel on the botom of the ski.. you could change the skis to simmons or what ever you perfer.. but alot of ppl keep going back to thestock skis. you could aslo try adjusting your limiter straps on the skid to help wiht the overall setup of the sled..

anyways hope this helps.. good luck

ride hard play safe!!

tbro47

Reaction score
thanks i'll try that. i'm thinking about a handlebar riser too i'm 6'2" how much of a riser should I get? i'm thinking 4" would be plenty.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is actually a trick you can use.. call chad at cr racing,, and it moves up ur steering shaft up 2" did that one mine and love it.. but yeah iam like 5'9 and the kit is like 25$ cdn.. or you can make one yourself like i did.. there ia bit of modification but it worts really well..ill see if i have pics of what i did on the comp. other wise ill have to to to the shop and take pics lol

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Sledslut stated....l lengthen the limiter strap so the track takes some weight off the skii's ....if you travel lots on hard packed trails it will affect the life of your sliders....the good side it will have a positive effect in deep snow.....

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mother was having the same issue with her phaser. I put on simmons GenII skis and now it is really stable and the darting is gone

Top Bottom