New to sleddin'

sarkmych

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm trying to do as much research as I can as I'm in the market for a sled. Problem is, there's so much to choose from, what do I pick? I have a budget of about 5G and so far my sense is I'm looking for a decent crossover sled. I'm tired of staying cooped up indoors while my bikes sit in the garage. There's only so much prep work a guy can do before riding season starts so I though I'd like to get into sledding. Winter seems to be the slowest time for me as far as work goes. So In a nutshell, what do you guys recommend? It would appear that a 4 stroke would be what a guy wants if he's planning on doing mostly pedestrian stuff, hammered in trails, farmer fields, etc. For more mountain sledding a guy wants a good higher displacement 2 stroke, preferably an 800 or better. I live in the Edmonton area so mountain sledding would be rare unless I did some trips with buddies but if the opportunity presented itself I'd like to have the machine to keep up. Any info you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

Assaulter13

Reaction score
Find a good deal on a 2 stroke -- it will give you everything you need to get started. Anything from a 6 to 800 CC displacement is going to get you going. Of course if you are thinking of playing in the mountains Look for a good used 800 that doesn't have a bunch of mods that you will have to figure out --- just my $.02

Steve

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

sarkmych

Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks. I'll let you know when I decide which way to go. Until then, I'll keep on lookin'.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a crossover get the best of both worlds myself i like 800cc i ride a Renegade Backcountry it does real well sledding is a great sport enjoy it

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome. I think once u get going, and you have time, the mountains will be enticing. youre not that far from them. that being said, if t were me id look for a 2 stroke. best of both worlds. not a heavy beast in the deep stuff. also much simpler to wrench on. get a midsize track and can go either prarie or in the hills. jmo

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you go to the mountains, you'll be hooked. It doesn't compare to anything else.

I would say get something in the 140's for length...I found it was a good all around length for me to start, and realize I loved the deeper stuff, so I went to 155.

I started with a 600 Switchback, and bought another 600 Polaris, RMK. The Renegade's seem like a good bet too...

Top Bottom