New to GoPro cameras and have a bit of an issue...

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

Picked up a GoPro Hero3 black edition a few weeks ago and last weekend I got a chance to try it out. In the user manual I downloaded from GoPro it states that in the event of the battery dying, the film would be saved before the camera turns off. Well, I took it out to a small poker rally to give it a shot and of course it died (maybe got a whole hour out of the battery, pretty sad really). Now, I can see the last video it was recording (roughly 20 or so minutes long) but when I try to open it it gives me an error saying the file can't play as it's NFG.

Anyone else encountered this? Know how I can get the video to play?

Thanks. :confused:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their just like any other helmet cam, if the cam suddenly powers down the file can be corrupted.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What recording settings do you have set? I used mine right out of the box with I think the 1440/60fps and the battery sucked and my pc couldn't handle the video because such high quality. I changed the settings to 1080/30fps and no issues, battery lasts me all day and my pc can handle them. I've had it happen before where is open a video and it would be glitched and the video would freeze but the sound will keep playing. Only happened once though

Sent from a iPhone

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their just like any other helmet cam, if the cam suddenly powers down the file can be corrupted.

Damn, so even though GoPro claims they'll be saved there's always a chance they won't make it? That sucks cause the lost 20minutes has some of the funnest riding we got in :(

What recording settings do you have set? I used mine right out of the box with I think the 1440/60fps and the battery sucked and my pc couldn't handle the video because such high quality. I changed the settings to 1080/30fps and no issues, battery lasts me all day and my pc can handle them. I've had it happen before where is open a video and it would be glitched and the video would freeze but the sound will keep playing. Only happened once though

I have it set on 1080/30 I think...I might bump it down to help conserve my battery. Also picked up one of those battery back pack units too.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be a bad sd card. Mine dies all the time never had an issue with lost footage.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be a bad sd card. Mine dies all the time never had an issue with lost footage.

I updated the firmware and that solved many of the issues I was having including the above mentioned "power down lost footage" and freezing when I'd turn it on.

Top Bottom