New m1100....need advice!

dirtroost

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and to the sport for that matter. I had posted earlier about picking up a used sled as my first foray into snowmobiling and received a lot of great advice. Well it turns out I was able to trade an old project I had in the garage for a 2013 M1100 turbo HCR with 1km on it. Now, given my limited knowledge of the sport I have done extensive research on this sled and it seems to have a few known issues ( reverse, weak tunnel, blown belts, weight etc). Fortunately there seems to be fixes for most of these issues however they are many and varied and it's getting confusing hence the reason I am here asking for help. If it were you in my shoes, what upgrades would you do and in what order would you do them in? Keep in mind that I am a novice on a sled and I don't have unlimited resources. The sled is bone stock I believe right now. Cheers! :beer:

Chrisp1

Reaction score
#1 is for sure ski's. On a budget look for some take off Polaris Gripper's $250ish. Cycle works has sales for $136/ea ski sometimes.

six buck

Reaction score
Talk to Gene at White Knuckle Motorsports in wainwright AB. He will get you all set with the right stuff. Straight shooter. He has done hundreds of these sleds including supplying all of my 2012 mods. Ive got 6500 km on mine and absolutely love it. Wont be waisting your time for sure.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all white knuckle is in lloyd not wainwright, guy must be on glue, change skis i run grippers on my 14 m8000 and had them on the turbo when i had it, tunnels arent weak not sure where u heard that, had a 13 1100 turbo a couple seasons ago and rode the $hit outta it and never had one issue with bending anything, vent the clutch side or both sides for that matter will really help with belt life, put an anti stab kit in as well, for an easy power mod put an easy jacker box on and a straight pipe, that boosts you to about 220hp, makes sled work way better, extra power makes it easier to ride i found, make sure you run the new belt not the one that comes on most 13's, i do believe its an 084, other than that its a fun sled but really wears a guy out after a few days in the mtns, which is why i rode my 11 m8 just as much or more while i had the turbo, bought a 14 m8000 to replace the turbo, miss the boost but dont miss the sore arms and shoulders

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all white knuckle is in lloyd not wainwright, guy must be on glue, change skis i run grippers on my 14 m8000 and had them on the turbo when i had it, tunnels arent weak not sure where u heard that, had a 13 1100 turbo a couple seasons ago and rode the $hit outta it and never had one issue with bending anything, vent the clutch side or both sides for that matter will really help with belt life, put an anti stab kit in as well, for an easy power mod put an easy jacker box on and a straight pipe, that boosts you to about 220hp, makes sled work way better, extra power makes it easier to ride i found, make sure you run the new belt not the one that comes on most 13's, i do believe its an 084, other than that its a fun sled but really wears a guy out after a few days in the mtns, which is why i rode my 11 m8 just as much or more while i had the turbo, bought a 14 m8000 to replace the turbo, miss the boost but dont miss the sore arms and shoulders

I believe the tunnel kinking was only on some 12's? so the 13's are good. personally I dont know if I'd recommend 220hp to someone new to the sport. Instead I would just add skis, vent the sides and ride the thing. The more you ride it the more you'll figure out little things you'd like to change. No point spending a ton of money before you even ride it!

dirtroost

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. So it seems to me that it's a sled worth keeping then and with a little work it will be a decent first machine. That's a relief as some of what I've been reading the last few days had me a little worried. I think that I will start with a vent kit,new belt and ski's and see how that does for me. I'm not too concerned about weight yet as I weigh 275lbs and it's cheaper for me to shed some first lol. Any good recommendations for vent kits? Are the ones at Menz Toyz what I should be looking at? What about their complete hoods? They are vented already I believe and they are a bit lighter too for not much more than a vent kit? As for ski's, are the Polaris ones the way to go for sure or is there a better option? Thanks again for taking the time to respond! Cheers!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. So it seems to me that it's a sled worth keeping then and with a little work it will be a decent first machine. That's a relief as some of what I've been reading the last few days had me a little worried. I think that I will start with a vent kit,new belt and ski's and see how that does for me. I'm not too concerned about weight yet as I weigh 275lbs and it's cheaper for me to shed some first lol. Any good recommendations for vent kits? Are the ones at Menz Toyz what I should be looking at? What about their complete hoods? They are vented already I believe and they are a bit lighter too for not much more than a vent kit? As for ski's, are the Polaris ones the way to go for sure or is there a better option? Thanks again for taking the time to respond! Cheers!

Ski's are a personal preference. I run Simons Gen 1 on mine and love them. A Buddy of mine runs the Slydog Powderhounds and he loves them. Another buddy runs the stock ski's and loves them.
Before forking out any cash for ski's I suggest you ride it and try some else's sled with other ski's to see what "you" like. Just remember that you do a fair comparison. Same ski's on different machines will handle differently.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your just starting out and not trying to keep up with the big players I suggest you just ride it. Minor venting to keep the clutch cool on the hot spring days and perhaps some mods as you go and when cash is availible. Remember hi perf stuff like tuners puts more load on the motor which makes more heat and causes stock parts to fail. From what i see its a great stock machine but as we push um they brake. Besides no use putting loads of cash into something that you could buy already done for half the price....if you choose but what's the fun in that...cheers

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The polaris grippers are way cheaper than aftermarket and are a huge upgrade, i put brand new in the box grippers on with carbides, polaris ski rubbers, bolts and nuts for $360 tax in, not an aftermarket ski out there thats gonna come within $200 of that

dirtroost

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but with the grippers, the site asks to specify what year and model polaris. Can someone tell me which ones fit best on the cat? Also, I have contacted Gene at White Knuckle. Hopefully he can assist me in coming up with a plan of action for this machine. Thanks for all of the responses. Definitely have a good idea as to the direction I'd like to go. Cheers!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just get ones for a new pro rmk, the last ones i bought said for a 15 pro rmk

Hicktown

Reaction score
I have run my '13 1100 turbo for 2 seasons completely stock other than 3 things:
*venting - MenzToys full 10pc.u
*Custom intake I built myself to get rid of the airbox (10lbs) and to suck in fresh cool airn
*And a striaght pipe to drop 20lbs and add a little snap.
I loved every minute of riding it and never had a major problem. I blew one belt in two seasons which isn't horrible. Also, the bolts in the steering at the top (I have the vertical steering tri-post support deal) come loose often, even with locktight. And I've had to rip the front of my sled apart to tighten the bolts at the tierods as well.
This year I am running Bikeman 4 stage tuning and full clutching - My favorite sled of all the previous turbo builds has just topped itself!

Best of luck with your 1100! I'm sure you'll find a real liking for it.

dirtroost

Reaction score
I think I'll run it stock for the first while anyways just to see if there is anything I'd like to change. I do have an opportunity to pick up a boondocker 2.0 for cheap though. Would it be a good idea to get it now so that I have it when I'm ready for a little more hp? Can get a set of clutch weights and a straight pipe too for not much more! Go for it or wait and see?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my money on a boondocker for the 1100T. There are far superior systems out there.

Chrisp1

Reaction score
Not sure if the 1100 turbo comes with a tether or not. A good tether/roll over valve is a pretty good investment. I almost learnt the hard way.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the 1100 turbo comes with a tether or not. A good tether/roll over valve is a pretty good investment. I almost learnt the hard way.

Yes forgot that, had same done, great idea

Top Bottom