New home build costs wow.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put plans out for tender with 3 builders thinking lumber prices are back in line… not so much. Prices year over year for quote $250/ft now $370/ft. Builders comments, suppliers holding out for top dollar as supplies still short better wait to spring.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably can’t even get the wire to wire it up at the moment. Wire prices are crazy if you can find it.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going forward with build back better. Inflation will stop a lot of things from happening.
I own a commercial and residential painting business. Can’t get most semigloss paint. Can’t get elastomeric paint. They tell me it’s going to get worse

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a commercial and residential painting business. Can’t get most semigloss paint. Can’t get elastomeric paint. They tell me it’s going to get worse
Your suppliers have any comment on when you’ll be able to phone in and get what you want?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your suppliers have any comment on when you’ll be able to phone in and get what you want?
For now it’s been very sporadic. Couple weeks ago eggshell was hard to get. This week semigloss is hard to get. So far I’ve been able to manage. We’re smashing out lots of exterior work right now and I’ve pre-bought all my material

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder how people are going to like it when there is food shortages

I don't think we should concerned about that, farmers are the only ones that didn't stop working through this. Besides, western Canada produces far more food than we consume.

Maybe we will be short on things like bananas, but I'd be pretty content to live on bread, potatoes, 'Berta beef, and beer.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lumber won't go down, major stumpage hikes are happening. 2 years ago $35-45/m3 now pushing $135

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either that is one fancy house at $370 sq/ft or the builder wants to retire off it, there's a lot of things high right now, but labour prices haven't went up, nor has many trade prices in general. Still IMO now is not the time to build, it's the time to sell current real estate, and wait prices of houses and material to drop.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lumber won't go down, major stumpage hikes are happening. 2 years ago $35-45/m3 now pushing $135
Stumpage is irrelevant to market pricing. Mills are simply cutting back production for the next quarter, burn off current inventory and cut costs. Keep the record profits in the bank.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stumpage is irrelevant to market pricing. Mills are simply cutting back production for the next quarter, burn off current inventory and cut costs. Keep the record profits in the bank.
bound to be another price jump due to “ unprecedented “ wood shortage from fires ,along with holding back production. Keep those profits up! Lumber is below 500/1000 on the world markets and prices have come down on retail but not even close to where they were pre pandemic.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds cynical but I say they set prices on what people pay. Trivial reasons fir inflation are excuses. We build big custom houses and bosses said it's been our busiest season ever and every type of material is "up".

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds cynical but I say they set prices on what people pay. Trivial reasons fir inflation are excuses. We build big custom houses and bosses said it's been our busiest season ever and every type of material is "up".
I think that’s part of it, lot is in a bit of a nicer “small acreages“ subdivision, same house probably less elsewhere.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either that is one fancy house at $370 sq/ft or the builder wants to retire off it, there's a lot of things high right now, but labour prices haven't went up, nor has many trade prices in general. Still IMO now is not the time to build, it's the time to sell current real estate, and wait prices of houses and material to drop.
No sadly this is a true cost. I’m Just starting a build and nothing is cheap. Describe fancy, not saying $370 is low end but I’m getting bathroom vanity quotes starting at $6000. See where I’m going here. Freaking nuts.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to build a house on my rec property, looking at modulars. Prices seem stable there but will see once I get further in.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sadly this is a true cost. I’m Just starting a build and nothing is cheap. Describe fancy, not saying $370 is low end but I’m getting bathroom vanity quotes starting at $6000. See where I’m going here. Freaking nuts.

Odd. I only know pricing of a few trades like excavation, weeping tile, cribbing, all flatwork none of that has went up here, concrete has actually dropped. I also don't think many trades like framing, roofing, electrical, plumbing, etc have raised labour prices, only material to make up for increases. I know the small builders I work for haven't raised prices to compensate for that kind of increase. I wish I could raise my prices a fortune, but still plenty of guys willing to work for real cheap.

I built in 2015 and went reasonably high end and it only cost me about $130 sq/ft, but I did a lot myself. It's been awhile but I seem to remember cabinets and granite being like $40k for my place. Square foot prices vary so much though. You could have a 3000 sq/ft two storey compared to a 4000 sq/ft two storey and both have the same kitchen, same amount of bathrooms, etc and the 4000 sq/ft house will end up being a lot cheaper per square foot because it doesn't have extra of those expensive areas.

Putting it up for sale, i'd be insanely happy to even get 200 sq/ft.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Odd. I only know pricing of a few trades like excavation, weeping tile, cribbing, all flatwork none of that has went up here, concrete has actually dropped. I also don't think many trades like framing, roofing, electrical, plumbing, etc have raised labour prices, only material to make up for increases. I know the small builders I work for haven't raised prices to compensate for that kind of increase. I wish I could raise my prices a fortune, but still plenty of guys willing to work for real cheap.

I built in 2015 and went reasonably high end and it only cost me about $130 sq/ft, but I did a lot myself. It's been awhile but I seem to remember cabinets and granite being like $40k for my place. Square foot prices vary so much though. You could have a 3000 sq/ft two storey compared to a 4000 sq/ft two storey and both have the same kitchen, same amount of bathrooms, etc and the 4000 sq/ft house will end up being a lot cheaper per square foot because it doesn't have extra of those expensive areas.

Putting it up for sale, i'd be insanely happy to even get 200 sq/ft.
I’m not in residential but our electrical rates will be going up. Already started with new clients and will increase the rates for existing clients after current projects are complete. If you have service trucks on the road, rates gotta go up just to cover fuel alone.
Combine that with being busy as fawk for too long and we will be better off. Even if we loose a few tight wad penny pinch jobs.

Top Bottom