New here and new to sledding, also have a question.

24V E30

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Nick im new to this site and new to sledding, just started this year. Im from Calgary and am a mechanic, I work at Nurburgring Ltd fixing mainly European vehicles. Anyways i picked up a 2010 Summit x 163" with a freshly built Rk tek 860BB and some other mods, has just under 1300km on the sled now.

Now onto my question. I was out riding on Saturday and sled ran great all day then the battery started to die, starter wouldnt turn the engine over and eventually lost all power to even spin the starter motor. So pull start it and it starts right up. We start heading towards the truck and 1/4 of the way there all my gauges turn off and just the CEL is on and then the sled just stalls completly. So we try and pull start again with no luck. So we end up towing it to the truck and go home.

Now the sled should run with out the battery so to me i have a failed stator as that is what supplys the sled with power once its running, like the alternator in your car. Am i wrong in thinking this?? I havnt had time to do any troubleshooting but i just want to be sure im on the right track. Is there any common parts that fail that would cause this or just he stator/magneto??

Thanks.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can test the stator but I'm not 100% sure its that. Your theory is good but the sled only has 1300 kms on it, shouldn't have burnt through a stator just yet unless its pulling a big draw somewhere. I'd start with the stator and if it is really gone, replace it but also be checking all ground connections. 1300 kms that sled should barely be broken in.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
I,m a mechanic to and you have to go back to the old school way fixing things,don't guess it can really get expesive.Charge battery and make sure sled runs.
sled runs check output at battery
No charging check voltage regulator
regulator good check wires to stator check plugins realy good
and last the stator stator no good open wallet and cry

Have a great day

24V E30

Reaction score
Ya i downloaded the service manual I just havnt had time to do any trouble shooting yet. Im not trying to guess or just throw parts at it, I know it doesnt work that way. Im just trying to get a general idea of where to start looking or if theres any common parts that fail that cause this. The positive wire from the battery post to the starter solenoid did look like it got hot and melted the insulation a bit, so i probably have something else going on. Belive me i rather fix some wiring then have to buy a stator or some other over priced part.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a red wire kinda behind the oil tank that broke on these sleds if I remember right. Worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24V E30

Reaction score
Thanks, I did read something about that while searching on google but it seemed that it was only a problem on 08's and brp did a service recall/repair on it. I will still check it out though.

24V E30

Reaction score
Damn, well i hope im lucky and its something simple like that.

DTMVTEC

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but as soon as i saw your Username name i thought 3 series E30 and then saw the name of the place you worked.. gotta be a car nut. Ahh the Nordschleife …miss that place.

good lucky with your sled I'm a newb too.

24V E30

Reaction score
Well i recharged my battery and checked the stator as per service manual instructions and it is all in spec. I still need to run the engine and check the charging voltage buuut i left my key in my buddies truck so that has to wait.

One thing i forgot to mention when it wouldn't start on the hill was when i pulled the rubber boot off the battery positive terminal the small red wire that goes to the charging fuse was just hanging there, probably just held up against the positive terminal by the rubber boot. So i'm sure that it was just making contact once in a while. I reconnected it on the hill and the sled did run for a bit until it stalled out completely. What am I overlooking here....It doesn't make sense why the sled stalled completely all electrical systems down.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i recharged my battery and checked the stator as per service manual instructions and it is all in spec. I still need to run the engine and check the charging voltage buuut i left my key in my buddies truck so that has to wait.

One thing i forgot to mention when it wouldn't start on the hill was when i pulled the rubber boot off the battery positive terminal the small red wire that goes to the charging fuse was just hanging there, probably just held up against the positive terminal by the rubber boot. So i'm sure that it was just making contact once in a while. I reconnected it on the hill and the sled did run for a bit until it stalled out completely. What am I overlooking here....It doesn't make sense why the sled stalled completely all electrical systems down.

Load test on battery? Is the charging fuse blown? Just thinking if the charging fuse was disconnecting and the battery drawn way down, after you connected it and it did start charging, the battery drawing a big charge too much for the fuse and popped it? I would also check voltage regulator as well once you have it running.

If the fuse connection was loose, check all other connections.

24V E30

Reaction score
Battery load test is good.

Charging fuse was not blown.

I will get the key tomorrow and run the sled to make sure its charging properly along with checking all plugs and connectors.

Only other thing that i found that PO did was have the charging relay zip tied upside down so all the snow that collected on it was melting into the connector and wires.....SMRT.......If that has anything to do with my problem i dont know but i relocated the relay to where it should be.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that relay may be the prob, but I had my rev do the same thing you described and it was the voltage regulator that sheet the bed.

either way, let us know wot you find out ...

24V E30

Reaction score
Alright im back from vacation and had a chance to check the charging. Its charging 12.4V at idle and does not increase to the specified 15V @ 5000rpm. So im thinking the voltage regulator is probably the issue. Ill get one ordered on tuesday and hopfully ill be able to go ride on the weekend.

24V E30

Reaction score
Well it wasn't the voltage regulator....F$%K. Wiring is all good. I jumped the Charging relay once it was running still nothing. So i guess the stator is the problem like i originally thought....Anyone have a used one???

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rm stator has resonable prices and fast shipping. Got one from them for my mxz. And there Canadian eh!

24V E30

Reaction score
Yup, I just found their site, priced one out at $210 and it could be here by Tuesday.....Wonder what the dealer wants for one.

24V E30

Reaction score
Order the Stator from Rmstator on saturday and recived it tuesday. Got it installed and shes up and running again.

Old and new comparison....i think it got a little bit hot.

Top Bottom