new garage build

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
concrete guy has gone silent... gotta pour that small pad next year I guess...

Waiting on Steel Craft for a door now....

LED Edmonton has some lighting in stock, local guy... probably support him. 6 big LED high bay lights and 10 pot lights in the soffits.

My younger cousin is going to wire it, his company can do the service work to put the meter on the garage and get rid of the overhead service drop to the house.

progress...

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well someone on here can say "I told you so..." SteelCraft has extended my order delivery date to Dec. 24 now FFS....

What are the other options? none? lol

I'm going to frame it in with a tarp for now I guess.... The trophy wife will be parkin outside in the snow....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well someone on here can say "I told you so..." SteelCraft has extended my order delivery date to Dec. 24 now FFS....

I'm going to frame it in with a tarp for now I guess.... The trophy wife will be parkin outside in the snow....

Could make temporary barn doors out of wood of something

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you’re finishing the inside, measure and note where the trusses are. If you don’t, “Joe garage door installer” will punch 87 holes in yer ceiling looking for support for the back-hang. Advice from an old garage door guy. My new place had pecker-holes all over the ceiling when I moved in. When I extended my shop, I made notes….when I reinstalled the big door, surprise surprise….no extra holes.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be using a wall mounted opener but you're right they need to hit the studs with the rail mounts.

I won't have heat for a while yet, so the drywall will likely go on after electrical and inspection but I won't be able to mud/tape until heat or the spring comes.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give them a stud finder lol They are only 20$

1666047580509.png

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took a marker and put a line where the studs are on the floor…and every one that supports a truss I put a “T”. I think the studs were 16”, trusses are 24”….in any case makes it easier to find backing later on.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do it your way, and I'll do it mine.....see who has less pecker-holes in the ceiling when we're done......been there, done that.

The nerve of me suggesting a 20$ tool that will make life easier. I use them all the time, but what ever....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people just like to work harder not smarter Dan.
Look...I deleted my last post. I'm sure the technology is amazing now, but the last 3 "stud finders" I've bought over the years were not great. I put my new garage door in with ZERO extra holes in the ceiling.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look...I deleted my last post. I'm sure the technology is amazing now, but the last 3 "stud finders" I've bought over the years were not great. I put my new garage door in with ZERO extra holes in the ceiling.
Haha it's all good man, you want it done right, do it yourself. 👍👍

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If someone isn't capable of finding where the trusses are without them being pre-marked or a stud finder, I wouldn't want them installing the door. Whether it's drywall or metal it takes all of 2 seconds to figure out where the trusses are for anyone with an ounce of common sense by looking at the fastener locations.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DaveB would love to hang the garage doors like this. Dave will spot the tracks.

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom