New dirtbiker

Ava

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but:

I'm new to dirtbiking, my fiance is very big into it.

I have only been on the bike 5 times, and had very serious accidents two of them (went over the handlebars on the road and broke my wrist at Wabamun, and was trapped under the dirtbike after sliding, ended up with severe bruising and road rash over 50% of my body at Waiporous). I have bought better protective gear, but I am still very nervous about getting back on. I am wondering if anyone knows a place with easy, dirt trails that we can go to, as well as a few harder ones for him? I am determined to learn to do this well. I live in Edmonton for the record.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
This might sound harsh for you but you should find a local motocross track to practice on. You don't have to do any jumps just putt around and get some experiece going over obstacles and around corners, up hills and driving through ruts etc. Your hubby can take the faster approach if he likes. Most MX tracks are smooth and can be easlily negotiated at a very slow pace. My 6 year old daughter loves hitting the track in Whitecourt on her DRZ 70. Make sure you wear all the proper gear, have fun and good luck. :)

Ava

Reaction score
I don't think it's harsh at all - I ride like a 6 year old! Waiporous was a stupid idea, for my 3rd time ever!

Are there any particular tracks you recommend?

mat

Reaction score
Ava I'm new to dirt bike too, I bought my first bike this summer, (first week of July) and I went for a 250...I have been ridding in Bruderheim, I find it challenging with all the sand and roots, but if you stay in the main pit, the sand give you that feeling of safety. You have to learn how your bike react to different ridding conditions and until you master all controls you have to take it slow...Be carefull with that false sense of confidence... I also find it challenging to ride trails with experienced riders as I try to keep up with them and loose focus of the trail as my eyes fallow the rider in front of me. Body position and "tailoring" your ride are also part of good riding habits. I also bought a awesome book online from Chapters call :pro Motocross and off-road ridding techniques" Beside a good helmet this is the second best purchase I made...help me a lot...and gave me confidence. Last thing; don't be afraid to break your ride , those thing can take a serious beating...more than you...Happy riding...

Ava

Reaction score
Wow, so much info, thanks Mat!

We've been talking about going to Bruderheim (he's been a bunch), and I was hoping we'd get there this week. Through a change of plans, he and his friends want to go to Vega (I really hope it's not nearly as difficult as I'm thinking it is!)

I will definitely pick up that book and have a look, I have been reading this website : Dirt Bike Riding Techniques, Maintenance And Sick Pictures! over the last few days, and I'm getting some ideas!

I think if I could take it down a notch, and just go at my own pace, I'd be doing better.

Top Bottom