New vs old

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a dilema about buying newer truck and looking for advise
Currently driving '06 duramax that i bought brand new and is just turning 300000kms
I like it cause it been paid for since 2010 but,
paint is peeling and kinda tired of putting money into it
as heads were done 70000kms ago and front end work couple years back as well
The new at4 keeps calling me and have a deal pending on 2021 with 40000kms
Not stoked on parting with my cash as I'm paying for it upfront but,
the depreciation factor is making me sick
oh what to do guys

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At some point they need to be replaced. I sold my '02 at 330k, mechanically it was in decent shape, but the rust was getting out of hand, for me the final straw was when a brake line rusted through, kinda lost faith in that truck after that.

After 16 years I'd say you've pretty much got your money out of that truck.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in pretty much the same position. My 2011 LML is mechanically perfect but starting to rust some at 280k and l don't like it. Good deals on well equiped used diesels seem to be non existent. $100k for new is hard to swallow.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya dis all the brake lines bout a year ago as well
Starting to feel like im getting nickel and dimed at point if the paint wasnt needing to be replaced. Thats something im not able to do myself. Prob time to move on

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sad when diesels arent making it past 300 000

But doesnt sound like you guys put on a ton of miles either. Sitting around isnt great for them. Imo

Bite the bullet I guess.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
engine seems fine and runs strong but water pump will be next and then who knows what
its the peely paint that bugs me

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I looked for quite awhile to find a replacement for my 2013 F350 6.2l gas Lariat with 205,000km. I don’t need/want a diesel due to the extra cost and the simple fact that just can’t justify that expense for how little I actually use/need a diesel.
I couldn’t afford to buy new and I won’t finance but due to some logistics with needing my deck, I have financed for a couple of months.
I upgraded 4 years to the aluminum body to avoid future rusting problems and found a mint Lariat F350 6.2l gas with an 8’ box and only 61,000k. The nice trucks are out there and some are way over priced like everything else but look around and you will find something that will work for you Greg.

new indyguy

Reaction score
I was in the same position with my 05 LLY. Its deleted and a light tune. Only have 270K on it and mechanically the truck was fine but the fenders were getting rusty. Did the brake lines, head gaskets and water pump about 3 years ago. I weighed out my options and 2.5 years ago decided to buy a used half ton for running around and keep the diesel just for pulling and hauling. Bought the 2018 1/2T truck cheap before COVID pricing hit the used market.
2022 I went back and forth trying to decide if I should sell my diesel and upgrade to something newer like the new Ford 7.3 gasser or a good used diesel. Used market is nuts so I decided to put the money into my own truck. In November I decided to get new fenders, rocker and cab corners and get the cab repainted properly and put a decent deck on it. I also put a new front bumper on. After all said and done I put $15K into my 2005 LLY and its going to last me now another 10+ years i am hoping. No payments either. Plus I still like the looks of the old Classic's.
The newer trucks still have their problems also and some times they are sitting in the shops for a month waiting for parts. And I dont need all the fancy electronic stuff they throw on these vehicles now adays.

Attachments

• DR side view.jpg
    DR side view.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 114
  • Front bumper.jpg
    Front bumper.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 115

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I flip flop so much about selling my 08 diesel dually. But then I look at the market, with the going rate and mileage and I can't replace that truck for less than 30 thou. Do I keep it, and put money into it (body is rust free) or keep paying for mechanical fixes? Truck has 234K and I really don't think I need a diesel anymore and could go to a gas 3500, single wheel with 8' box.
I love the truck, but I have also been exposed to owning a 2018 Chev and loved the modern options.
What to do, what to do....... lol....... Will be following this thread.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya prices are dropping for sure. Have deposit on a 2021 at4 dmax. 40ks on it. $78000. Ouch
Needed a few days to let that $ number sink in

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used Sled market is gunna be "like a DC 10 garrenteed to go down" trucks will take longer!

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same position with my 05 LLY. Its deleted and a light tune. Only have 270K on it and mechanically the truck was fine but the fenders were getting rusty. Did the brake lines, head gaskets and water pump about 3 years ago. I weighed out my options and 2.5 years ago decided to buy a used half ton for running around and keep the diesel just for pulling and hauling. Bought the 2018 1/2T truck cheap before COVID pricing hit the used market.
2022 I went back and forth trying to decide if I should sell my diesel and upgrade to something newer like the new Ford 7.3 gasser or a good used diesel. Used market is nuts so I decided to put the money into my own truck. In November I decided to get new fenders, rocker and cab corners and get the cab repainted properly and put a decent deck on it. I also put a new front bumper on. After all said and done I put $15K into my 2005 LLY and its going to last me now another 10+ years i am hoping. No payments either. Plus I still like the looks of the old Classic's.
The newer trucks still have their problems also and some times they are sitting in the shops for a month waiting for parts. And I dont need all the fancy electronic stuff they throw on these vehicles now adays.
Lots of guys out there doing frame off restorations with new or rebuild powertrains for half the price of buying new. Then at least you know you got the truck you want. I agree in buying a POS truck or SUV as a daily driver or winter beater. JMO

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the used market calming down. The US just keeps hoovering up everything. Every hurricane and now flooding in California writes off thousands of vehicles. A big recession might do something but then I'm probably sitting on my wallet too.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya prices are dropping for sure. Have deposit on a 2021 at4 dmax. 40ks on it. $78000. Ouch
Needed a few days to let that $ number sink in
That does not sense to me, down 1-2 years of wtty & 40k + miles. The 2024 mid release is coming up very soon & I'm betting 2023's will be hanging around lots & pricing adjusted. Maybe even some nice low finance incentives like the olden days. If you are going to run this one until it's dead wouldn't you want to start fresh?

I will probably order a 2024.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think they are going to do with the built units waiting at the plant parking lots waiting for chips? They will need to have some deep discounts to move 2-3 year old vehicles?

Top Bottom