New and improved 4 stroke?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skid for sure. stock the sled over powers it . Shocks 174 then all the crap to make 300hp . Ok 27k still lots of money and yes i rode one in mtn and yes i have a apex . Not saying i dont like the sled i think it will be great just hate track skid shocks and the weight. As soon as i got on it all i could think or is my old apex. Have fun in bottom of a creek. 4 strokes still just to heavy.

Your comparing a SW with an Apex to base your opinion on. That is completely laughable and typical of so many.
Hey i have a news flash for you, did you know that the majority of snowmobiles of the 70's including some of the 80's were nearly 100lbs lighter then the lightest models found today. Does that mean your going to get your self antique, because its lighter?
The real world weight difference between a 2 and 4stroke, that is wet and covered in snow are very close. Add in the equation the power to weight ratio and elevation compensation of boost and this old BS argument is over.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a thread that was just started regarding weights. I must re-iterate. I’m not worried about weight at all. It’s just a question. There are some guys that have made the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. That 850 with the 174 probably hooks up good. I’ve spent some time on the 850 165 and it impressed me.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said i rode a s.w. and it felt just like any over weight 4 stroke like my apex they r just to heavy for tree ridin. Any new 174 2 stroke will be easyer to ride in tree's. I have both not trying to start pissing match. Cheers

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys. The 4 strokes aren’t coming in 174 yet. Any ideas why. I would think that kind of hp it would be a no brainer.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys. The 4 strokes aren’t coming in 174 yet. Any ideas why. I would think that kind of hp it would be a no brainer.

The biggest market for 4stroke is in the east, in the west we have the smallest portion of the market. That being said the 4stroke snowmobile is also the most expensive snowmobile to buy out of the box from the dealer. While you can always find deal's, your average price for a new 18 mountain 4stroke in a 162 will push you just over $20,000.
So basically the market is too small for a 174 sled that would have to be priced well over the $20,000 mark. The market in general is not really willing to pay that and those that have a hardon for a 174 will build one generally in that price range.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said i rode a s.w. and it felt just like any over weight 4 stroke like my apex they r just to heavy for tree ridin. Any new 174 2 stroke will be easyer to ride in tree's. I have both not trying to start pissing match. Cheers

If you think a sidewinder felt like a apex iam sorry you just cant ride.they have 0 in common,does it ride like a poo pro no but once you learn to ride one you will realize they are really close.
You need to learn how to use the 4 stroke power,some just cant or wont get it.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to try out 18 winder with evo stage 4. I love the 4 stroke power as I have had one for 7 years myself. The power delivery of the sidewinder is very nice and smooth. Best handling 4 stroke I have tried imo. But after trying a new 18 cat right after the winder you can still feel the weight. This was on pretty tracked out snow though too so in better snow conditions I think it would hide the weight a lot more. All in all I think the winder is best handling 4 stroke ever built. It would be a hard choice if I was buying new as they all are very good performers.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO I would buy the winder as yamaha clutches are second to no one. Change the skis to something different, I like powder hounds but that's my choice. And tear it up on the most capable 4 stroke ever built by an OEM.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO I would buy the winder as yamaha clutches are second to no one. Change the skis to something different, I like powder hounds but that's my choice. And tear it up on the most capable 4 stroke ever built by an OEM.

The Cats have a good decent clutching system imo, easy to tune, reliable and doesn't run like a furnace. I don't think they are up on pare with Yamaha but miles ahead of BRP's, the worst and most complex in the industry and really doesn't achieve much other then heat. Probably equal to the Polaris. JMO

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched comparisons of the sidewinder and the cat, the cat does build more heat than the yamaha, not dis ing the team clutches just have had awesome reliability and power transfer with sleds with double the hp of a any 2 stroke and no belt issues.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here ripping on the king cat?
I have a 17 King Cat, only two rides on it so far, so I don't have the suspension totally set up for my liking. I found it very smooth, great power, and definitely the best out of the box 4 stroke I've ridden. I will add that I ditched the stock skis before I even rode it, and am running Grippers. Fully wet (full of gas)it weighs 658 lbs with a spare belt, tool kit, mountain addiction rails, cat accessory front and rear bumpers, B&M Fab skinny boards, skid plate, handlebar bag, pro mtn windscreen (storage), 4 wheel kit on rear axle, gripper skis, and an EVO can added, maybe a pound of snow on the sled. This places it 2 lbs lighter then my 2013 M1100T with carbon fiber tank, mtn fit hood, Skinz Airframes, Kmod skid, 2016 front end, lightweight battery and exhaust, vented side panels, belt drive, 3" PC track, etc, etc. No, the King Cat doesn't have the HP of the M1100T with EVO's big chute kit, but it will at some point, and it is definitely rideable even in the crappy snow I was on - the throttle response and lack of engine braking is awesome. The King Cat / Sidewinder may be the closest thing to 2 stroke in terms of handling. I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs geared up, pushing 50 years old, and don't have an issue handling the little bit extra weight - which is 90.8 lbs heavier then my wife's 2013 Pro RMK 660 155 that weighs 567 lbs with Kmod skid with Evols, 153 x 2.6" PC track, 37" front end with Evol R's, mtntk 3' cooler, lightweight battery (E-start) tunnel bracing and bumpers with tool kit, belt, skid plate, etc. She is 5'3", pushing 50, and can / has ridden both my 4 strokes without much trouble. So it is doable.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if u really dont care about the weight then 4 stroke is for u but do your self a favor and get skid 174 and more power your friends will be so much happier when its upside down in creek

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my Boondocker sidekick on the 2smoke. It flat out works all the time. truthfully its kept me from buying a new sled this year because my 2016 with the sidekick is so good that I don't want to start over building a new set up, although when we put the kit on and geared the up the sled it was spot on and hasn't changed

Last edited:
Top Bottom