New and improved 4 stroke?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for some feedback here. I’m a big guy. 6’5 280 lbs. I can throw a machine around pretty good. Currently on a ‘15 pro. Need more power of course and Im thinking about making the jump to a 4 stroke. Just looking for some input from some guys that have made the switch. I love playing in the trees and creeks but not afraid to make a poke here and there. For a long time I considered these sleds to be a point and shoot machine. Are they really handling that much better now?

Cheers

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just spend a few $$ update, and turbo your pro. By the time you buy a newer sidewinder with what you want, you could be just as happy with a 2 stroke turbo.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just spend a few $$ update, and turbo your pro. By the time you buy a newer sidewinder with what you want, you could be just as happy with a 2 stroke turbo.
Have two sidewinders in our group and there will most likely be more in the future.

Even being sub 6ft and sub 200lbs I enjoy riding them. Even in the trees. They handle way better than the vipers.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently ride a 850 165 but had the chance on a sidewinder for a day last season and I must say they are a lot of fun and if it wasn’t for the 20 k price tag on a new one I would be riding one !

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently ride a 850 165 but had the chance on a sidewinder for a day last season and I must say they are a lot of fun and if it wasn’t for the 20 k price tag on a new one I would be riding one !
Holdovers are going for 15k.

Last edited:

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holdevers are going for 15k.

I just seen that. It’s funny the videos and pic I have seen there are a lot of guys that are smaller. Maybe motorcross guys which was surprising. I figured it would be some of the bigger guys that would flock to these machines. I’m a little surprised.

knh208

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not trying out the demo that T&T had at Revy last year. I was so revved up over the 18 Cat that they let me try that I forgot to ask!

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I like mods but I don’t have a tonne of time yet to spend on them. For right now I would have to say I’m a “unload and ride” guy. Also, on the other hand, the value on a used sled is really low so what the heck. Maybe throw a turbo on it an ride er till she blows. There are some nice plug an play systems on the market.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just seen that. It’s funny the videos and pic I have seen there are a lot of guys that are smaller. Maybe motorcross guys which was surprising. I figured it would be some of the bigger guys that would flock to these machines. I’m a little surprised.
I struggled on the nytros, no doubt.
These Sidewinder are about as close to the feel of a two stroke as you can get.

The best part is that with a CAI and Flash you can make 230 HP.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Adding a turbo to a pro will add zero to resale value.

If you sell your pro and get a Yamaha at the end of the day you have a new sled that is worth more.

I like my turbo pro, but they never pay back from an economic perspective.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old Yama pig wont go up in value either. These things depreciate, either way you are going to lose money.

What do you want to ride though is the question?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Adding a turbo to a pro will add zero to resale value.

If you sell your pro and get a Yamaha at the end of the day you have a new sled that is worth more.

I like my turbo pro, but they never pay back from an economic perspective.

True enough. What kit are you running in your pro?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old Yama pig wont go up in value either. These things depreciate, either way you are going to lose money.

What do you want to ride though is the question?

I wanna ride something so I can dangle like chris burhandt. Haha kidding. Like the 2 stroke I have right now. Just doesn’t have the power. Maybe a different brand of 2 stroke is the answer.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanna ride something so I can dangle like chris burhandt. Haha kidding. Like the 2 stroke I have right now. Just doesn’t have the power. Maybe a different brand of 2 stroke is the answer.

Yeah the new cats and 850's have a bit more Jam than a Pro, not like turbo power though.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a sidewinder and throw a riser on and flash it 1450km on mine now and I'm very close to your height and weight honestly the most fun I've had on a machine yes they handle way better than the old pigs the 36" front end is great. Anytime I jump on a stock 800 I think wow this is fun but not enough power to haul me around on the deep days no matter how hard I ride it. Turboing a two stroke is also an option these days adds extra issues yes but I don't think they are the liability they once were.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the original poster: You need to ride one. Either a new 17/18 sidewinder / king cat or a well set up M1100T. Both handle the trees fine in the hands of a capable rider. I'm 6'1", pushing 50 years old, and weigh 220 lbs in my shorts after eating all the goodies at Xmas. Personally, I prefer either 4 stroke over the 2 strokes, my signature gives you an idea of what is in my trailer. But I cannot stress this enough: Because the 4 strokes are a bit heavier, suspension setup is CRITICAL. One that is poorly set up will ride like a boat anchor, a good set up is very playful and very similar to a 2S.
The Sidewinder / King Cat has ZERO lag, and really minimal engine braking compared for 4 strokes of the past, which required a different riding style and superb throttle control.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the original poster: You need to ride one. Either a new 17/18 sidewinder / king cat or a well set up M1100T. Both handle the trees fine in the hands of a capable rider. I'm 6'1", pushing 50 years old, and weigh 220 lbs in my shorts after eating all the goodies at Xmas. Personally, I prefer either 4 stroke over the 2 strokes, my signature gives you an idea of what is in my trailer. But I cannot stress this enough: Because the 4 strokes are a bit heavier, suspension setup is CRITICAL. One that is poorly set up will ride like a boat anchor, a good set up is very playful and very similar to a 2S.
The Sidewinder / King Cat has ZERO lag, and really minimal engine braking compared for 4 strokes of the past, which required a different riding style and superb throttle control.

Did you have any belt troubles with the m1100. There was a tonne on the market a few years back for good price too.

Top Bottom