new 2012 Dodge diesel - not impressed so far !!!

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have less then 1000 km on it and NOT happy so far .....

1. Seems the turbo lags alot before it kicks in ... (you really have to step on it to get to go)
2. when it is in drive and I let it roll ahead 1-2 feet without touching the gas petal,
and then push it to Neutral it kinda bangs hard ... should not be any noise ...
3. the whole shifting of the tranny seems hard ...
4. tail gate cables- those little metal clips that you have to lift to get the cables off, already came off ...
5. have the get a mirror replaced already ... vibrates BAD (dealer already ordered...)
6. dealer (3rd patry) installed wrong 5 th wheel (dealer is making it right)
7. dealer ordered wrong seat covers, but he noticed and re ordered

One GOOD thing dealer seems very good so far to deal with ... but is 4 hours away ...

what guages is everyone adding
- thinking a turbo pressure guage is needed ...
anything else ???
will be used 95% for towing RV at 10 K pounds...

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. It sounds like my 2011 ford. But my 2012 dodge is awesome. Weird.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I deleted mine and did a hs minimax. woke up the engine BIG TIME and got better mileage too. I agree the engine has alot of turbo lag. Programmer fixed that.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should get a pyrometer to monitor EGT, dont be worried about the boost.

aaron_m

Reaction score
I deleted mine and did a hs minimax. woke up the engine BIG TIME and got better mileage too. I agree the engine has alot of turbo lag. Programmer fixed that.

That is what I did as well. Cannot even comment on how the stock turbo lag is, when i drove her off the lot, my deletes and removal of anything not needed, was done. I have been running empty loads, and just recently now averaging just a hair over 20mpg, where before was 16-17.

chromed

Reaction score
what guages is everyone adding
- thinking a turbo pressure guage is needed ...
anything else ???
will be used 95% for towing RV at 10 K pounds...

Not sure what guys are running for guages in dodges. I like to see what is going on as well even though my truck is stock. For my 2011 chevy I got the Edge CTS insight. It is not a programmer, but has some good monitoring options.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to post up some info I heard about the 6.7's from a few of the Big aftermarket companies. the 6.7 when tuned does have a tendency to break connecting rods the reason is the 6.7 uses a 5.9 connecting rod but has the different stroke this is causing the rod to flex and over time snap! the guys from H&S at the dyno comp in shelley idaho said they have had a few with just tunning,intake,exhaust bust connecting rods! I'm sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to put some info from H&S out there! Like i said they have only had a couple do this not all have or will but there is the possibilty just a good piece of info for ya! To bad to hear about the bad luck 3/4 of the people I talk to love there new cummins! sounds like the dealership is pretty stand up group of guys hopefully they can get the problems solved for ya

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to post up some info I heard about the 6.7's from a few of the Big aftermarket companies. the 6.7 when tuned does have a tendency to break connecting rods the reason is the 6.7 uses a 5.9 connecting rod but has the different stroke this is causing the rod to flex and over time snap! the guys from H&S at the dyno comp in shelley idaho said they have had a few with just tunning,intake,exhaust bust connecting rods! I'm sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to put some info from H&S out there! Like i said they have only had a couple do this not all have or will but there is the possibilty just a good piece of info for ya! To bad to hear about the bad luck 3/4 of the people I talk to love there new cummins! sounds like the dealership is pretty stand up group of guys hopefully they can get the problems solved for ya

First I've heard of this... For the average guy a basic programmer isn't gonna snap the rods, unless you crank it up and decide to run wot for minutes on end

My 2012 was laggy stock too. Solution is deletes and open up the airways on it. These engines are so choked off stock it's not even funny. Doing the grid heater relocate and deletes really woke my truck up, runs like my 04' does now. I leave it on stock power and the truck averages about 19mpg (hand calculated) on the highway. I've got a bigger charge tube and 2 micron filter kit to put on when I go on days off next:)

The transmission on mine seems to go into gear pretty hard too but I'm not too worried. Wanna feel a clunk? Go throw a cat 777D into gear, shakes the whole truck and is perfectly normal.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
For the guys with the H&S programmer, the transmission software fixes all issues, and makes the truck drive like an entirely new vehicle...Best 200 bucks I ever spent...

I agree, I deleted my 2011 basically right off the lot (1000kms), I'm at 50000 now and haven't had any issues. With that being said, I usually run the "no power" tune (which is still wayyyy better than stock) or "Mild" tune. The tuner and trans software turn the truck into a new animal.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Rebuttal: connecting%20rod.jpg

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys the info i got on the cummins rods snapping is from H&S DIRECT!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just passing on some info about the 5.9 rods in the 6.7 and yes people were snapping them with just a simple tune intake and exhaust! Like I stated some have issues some dont but H&S is aware of FLEXING RODS and that damage has been done! yes the rods are bigger than the dmax and ford but when the rod is flexing constantly on the stroke and when your putting a fair bit of heat to them it has a tendency to wear down and cause fatigue causing rods to snap! This is info from H&S,Adrenaline performance, Diesel outfitters of texas, and alligator diesel performance! All who have cummins and have them modified and all of them have seen the rods go! I was unaware of it to until i went to this dyno event and had a long talk with the guys about different vehicles and mods! When the rep for H&S says some are having issues then i do believe him as he is the sales guy for H&S! Talk to RYAN From F.A.S.S. Fuel systems he will back it up as his 2011 6.7 blow a rod through the side of his block towing a 13000 lbs trailer over a pass.

Myself i love H&S Love the cummins motor and have not heard of these issues until now. Like i stated I'm just sharing some info from the aftermarket companies on some issues that are out there. Sorry if i offend some of the cummins guys I had no intentions of it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of the rods going in a stock motor. Lot's of guys break them racing though. They are the same as a CR 5.9 rod the 24v and 12v had tougher rods. The issue is the R/S ratio in the 6.7's and the way it side loads the rods. That said I have seen a lot more 7.3's/6.0's and d maxes with rods poking out the blocks. Probably because I don't know many guys that hotrod their 6.7s, they use their 5.9's for that.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
never heard of the rods going in a stock motor. Lot's of guys break them racing though. They are the same as a cr 5.9 rod the 24v and 12v had tougher rods. The issue is the r/s ratio in the 6.7's and the way it side loads the rods. That said i have seen a lot more 7.3's/6.0's and d maxes with rods poking out the blocks. Probably because i don't know many guys that hotrod their 6.7s, they use their 5.9's for that.

talking with the shop foremans at several dealerships i deal with, and they've never had a crank or a connecting rod problem with a 6.7l yet..... I've never heard of a 6.7 lower engine problem yet and we've tuned and deleted many...... Just finished another '11 cummins today

Top Bottom