Need parts for the King Cat

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbing yesterday blew something in the chaincase and want to upgrade it all. I am not sure what happened yet, but something went in the chaincase because the secondary turns like nothing and well, towing it was interesting without brakes....Just wondering what chain and gears I should go with? Change the gearing? It climbs really well right now, so not sure if it needs a gearing change but I sure don't want anything breaking again, considering it took a good extra 3 hours towing it out and my buddies rev was having problems running after towing it :rant:

Hoping to keep it on a budget, the sled is up for sale right now but I am hoping to get enough student loans that I am able to keep it and get out a bit next year, don't think I could go without a sled :d

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with Hyvo gears(made by polaris), if you don't want to break it ever again. Or just replace with stock gearing, if your looking at selling it.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im guessing it was the chain that broke,The only advantage to changing out stock gears is the amount of teeth you want to run.I have never seen a broken gear,A few chains though.It is important to check you tention on the chain lots,I do it before every weekend or outing.Lots of power on a loose or tight chain is a recipe for disaster.Remember a new chain will stretch too so it is even more important to check it on a new chain!
catmando!

javan

Reaction score
how much you asking for it ,, as is , cause i have a knig kat as well , i may be interested

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only have the one mountain trip, and then 2 short local rides since having everything apart and had the chain adjusted. I don't think I ever checked the tension after taking it out again though, might of been the problem :(

Was just crappy because we just got to a nice play area and then this happened, and worst part is last ride for me this year :rant:

I sent you a PM Javan

670X

Reaction score
i can easily see a king cat breaking gears. last year my brothers 440 ripped all the teeeth but one after seal ripped and all the oil drained out of his chaincase.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you only new the chaincase issues I went through last year(On my Kingcat) you would pay more attention.A mechanic put the offset gear on backwards after fixing my first broken chain,this means the chain is not lined up.I went through four chains and removed the mechanical reverse before we figured out what was wrong.Three trips to the mountains were lets say dissapointing at the least,With that being said I never even put a scratch on the gears,Oh ya Two chain cases as well.Once fixed not a problem and I have about 600 miles on those same gears since.
Secondly ,take a staight edge and be damn sure the gears are on right!
catmando!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would really suck, I felt bad enough that is broke on just a local ride, and messed up everyone elses day I was with.

I got it all apart today and yes the chain is done, snapped in one spot, and pretty close to in another. The only thing that gets me is there is maybe 250 miles since I had all this apart, though i'm not to sure to check if the chain is weak it might of been the original still. Question when you were breaking chains did you hear a grinding noise right before it happened? The last 20 mins before it happened or so when I was climbing there was a pretty decent grinding noise, I figured it wasn't a big deal and guessed very wrong :nono:

I think everything is back in right, I am sure the inverse gear is the right way. I checked it with a straight edge best as possible. Do you happen to rememeber which way the gear goes just in case?

Also am I just better off to get another chain from Arctic Cat or is there another good place? Hopefully i'm not in for a shock on the price....

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big torque of the King is tough on A/C chains. Part of my chaincase maintenance each year is a new chain ($90). The last chain I took out was in good shape, but had 500 miles on it and that is about my limit. If you push 700 miles, your asking for a failure.

You can upgrade to Hyvo gears and chain for about $350.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you checked with a straight edge and it looked ok its on right.It is easy to spot if your looking for it,Twenty minutes of grinding sounds like a bearing piling up to me.When a chain breaks its all pretty sudden.
catmando.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a Cat 800 or 900 in the older chassis should get a torque arm. Makes a world of difference in keeping the engine and drive in line. Better for the clutches, better for the driveline, better performance overall.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a Cat 800 or 900 in the older chassis should get a torque arm. Makes a world of difference in keeping the engine and drive in line. Better for the clutches, better for the driveline, better performance overall.

Not to sound dumb but what is a torque arm and how much does it cost? I understand what it does, but were does it go and how does it work?

I really want to fix it up right with good chain and gears and anything else that isn't insanly pricy and hopefully get it out a few times next year, but cost is a huge factor.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If the grinding you heard before it broke was only under high torque it could just be that your chain had streched and was slipping on the gears...I had this issue earlier on in the year....I babied it after I heard the grinding and took it easy going home...when I tore open the chain case my gears were both still fine but the chain had broken many internal links....I replaced the chain (twice first one was a 72...too long) then re-ordered a 70 which still seems too lose as my tensioner is at 3/4 already but haven't heard a grinding since....Catman's right gotta keep the proper tension on the chain.

Bogger

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbing yesterday blew something in the chaincase and want to upgrade it all. I am not sure what happened yet, but something went in the chaincase because the secondary turns like nothing and well, towing it was interesting without brakes....Just wondering what chain and gears I should go with? Change the gearing? It climbs really well right now, so not sure if it needs a gearing change but I sure don't want anything breaking again, considering it took a good extra 3 hours towing it out and my buddies rev was having problems running after towing it :rant:

Hoping to keep it on a budget, the sled is up for sale right now but I am hoping to get enough student loans that I am able to keep it and get out a bit next year, don't think I could go without a sled :d

Is it a efi looking for one are you selling it as is. Let mw know.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it's a carb, might as well be EFI haven't touched the carbs since putting the ATACC on, and i've already took apart the chaincase so can't really sell as is for any less now that I know it's about an hour and it's fixed. I am still considering selling it, but at this point it doesn't matter either way. I've got an ad on the classifieds for it, looking for $4500.

Fishtank

Reaction score
If you checked with a straight edge and it looked ok its on right.It is easy to spot if your looking for it,Twenty minutes of grinding sounds like a bearing piling up to me.When a chain breaks its all pretty sudden.
catmando.

I think I had this on the weekend. When fully pegged and going up steep inclines it felt like the track would shudder for a half sec. Both me and a friend thought the track might be hitting some rocks. 5 mins later it just blew something. No power to the track at all. No brakes either. Was thinking just the chain, but now sounds like something worse. 8(

After the tow down, noticed that the sides of the track had taken a beating as if the track wasnt on straight.... :S

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would really suck, I felt bad enough that is broke on just a local ride, and messed up everyone elses day I was with.

I got it all apart today and yes the chain is done, snapped in one spot, and pretty close to in another. The only thing that gets me is there is maybe 250 miles since I had all this apart, though i'm not to sure to check if the chain is weak it might of been the original still. Question when you were breaking chains did you hear a grinding noise right before it happened? The last 20 mins before it happened or so when I was climbing there was a pretty decent grinding noise, I figured it wasn't a big deal and guessed very wrong :nono:

I think everything is back in right, I am sure the inverse gear is the right way. I checked it with a straight edge best as possible. Do you happen to rememeber which way the gear goes just in case?

Also am I just better off to get another chain from Arctic Cat or is there another good place? Hopefully i'm not in for a shock on the price....

The recess ( on the top gear ) should be facing you when you install on the cross shaft. The recess accepts the large washer holding in the top gear. The grinding noise you heard was probally the broken links hitting the case and chain tensioner. Catmando advice is spot on - adjust the chain manually. Don't over tighten ( finger tight on the adjustment bolt plus 1/8 turn). Alignment is critical on the gears - use a straight edge and make sure there is no gap. I would change the chain every 1000-1500 miles ( espicially if you pin it alot ).

Cheers

Top Bottom