Need New engine...advice...

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out car-part.com for any used auto parts. I just ordered a tailgate and a rear bumper for a buddy's dodge truck. I have ordered lots off that site

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a crazy repair bill. Lucas and/or heavy oil to get rid of the noise and trade it in or send it to auction.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love this I have a 5.4 . It’s the truck from HELL. Are you all saying that Ford is not good. I wonder what other motor will bolt up to the 5.4 transmission? Good luck!

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best advice I have had all week. Would some one really take my truck. I have a real real older sled.��

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't do that, it would stink to high heaven from the ep additive in gear oil and be a dead give a way something is up with it. I'd try 5W40 or 0W40 though without a second thought.

That STP oil treatment stuff. At plus 30 in the sun it it doesn’t like to poor. That would make it quieter lol

phatboy07

Reaction score
2 bottles of Lucas oil stabalizer and she still makes noise lol. It did quiet it down but it is still noticeable. Oh well. Used engines aren’t any better of an option as they are still about $5000-5600 with out a 3 year warranty (compared to a long block done at Ford). Sheeeeeet.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
That STP oil treatment stuff. At plus 30 in the sun it it doesn’t like to poor. That would make it quieter lol

Yep. It's not a fix, it's a mask. I worked with a Millwright that says when he was an apprentice he seen guys using it on the journal bearings of a 25000hp Westinghouse gas turbine when they set the rotor in. Thought it would be a good idea to do the same when he installed the crank in a 350 Chevy. Said after he tightened the mains he couldn't spin the crank lol. Had to take it a part and used luberplate and it was fine.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 bottles of Lucas oil stabalizer and she still makes noise lol. It did quiet it down but it is still noticeable. Oh well. Used engines aren’t any better of an option as they are still about $5000-5600 with out a 3 year warranty (compared to a long block done at Ford). Sheeeeeet.

Something doesn’t sound right to me. How has your maintenance been on the truck? Had regular oil changes? Usually a bottom end noise is either a thumping sound or a hollow knock. I’m not sure if you can get the oil pan off with the engine still in the truck but it might be an idea to have someone check the bearing clearances on the bottom end with plastigauge or something similar. If it does turn out to be a bad bearing you might be able to roll in a new bearing shell without stripping the engine down.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the ecoboost is garbage, mine went through three engines in two years, and it spent nine months in the shop of that two years. Only vehicle I've owned with a junk engine. Switched to Ram now, not a single problem with the truck years later.

If you went through 3 engines, assuming quality engine replacements, the problem wasn’t with the engines.

Top Bottom