Need New engine...advice...

phatboy07

Reaction score
I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost, 160K, FX4 Fully loaded, great shape. Developed a ticking sound and its been diagnosed to be the bottom end. Recommendation is for a new long block (2 diff shops diagnosed). Used replacement engines aren't much cheaper than a reman long block from ford and I would get 3years unlimited mileage warranty. Cost is about 15-17G though. Is it even worth it? I was thinking of upgrading to a 1 ton diesel in a few years anyway but of course was hoping to get more than 160K out of the current truck. Worth trying to sell as is or probably not going to get anything for it? Seems the used market has lots of this Trim level and year available in the 20-26K mark. Just seems hard to spend 70% or the current used value on it now...wont get that back in a couple years when I decide to upgrade (1 ton diesel or not)...Thoughts?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fill er up with Lucas oil stabilizer and eliminate the knock, then go to a dealer and trade it off. Not worth spending that kind of money on a dying truck, may only get the cost of the motor on trade but you can move on. If your thinking of running it to 300k then do the motor, let’s not forget all the other repairs you will spend on it moving forward.
get yourself that newer truck, be better off in the long run.
don't kill it or you will be forced to replace the motor. Happy shopping.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think 160k is low.... I thought these EcoBoost were the cats ass from all the post on them. Not worth spending all that on the new engine

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trade in as is with knock...$3000....have been offered $5000 non dealer.

$5k seems really low if everything else is in good shape. I'd think parting out value would be closer to $10k on a full loaded one. But I guess one of the downfalls of ford is the 1500 body isn't the same as the 2500/3500 so the value probably isn't there as much for parts. Knock must be pretty bad if dealer notices it on trade in, or it was the odd one who actually looks at it. Oil stabilizer sure wouldn't hurt to try. If you can get it to run decent i'd run to the nearest dealer of the brand diesel you want and make a deal on the spot. It only needs to run decent for 5-10 mins for them to evaluate it.

If it's $17k repair and offered $5k as is, it would need to be worth like $25k after repair to justify IMO. However if the ecoboost has that kind of life expectancy and it's not a one off failing, a new motor would up the value a lot compared to others of same mileage on original.

I thought I was in a bad position with my 13 Ram, same mileage and needs a turbo/actuator probably $5-6k repair but that's a lot worse.

Last edited:

phatboy07

Reaction score
I don't believe this to be the norm for this engine at this amount of KM....its not even a knock yet...its a loud tick that follows the engine rpm. I initially though it was top end/valvetrain and wouldn't be too bad of a fix. Got it diagnosed by Ford and another reputable shop...both conclude its the bottom end. It runs excellent otherwise and you cant even hear it on when driving on the highway.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you be interested in a complete engine, truck got wrecked a couple of years ago

I would call the guy and see if he still has it

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not cam phasers or timing chain. Two diff shops...same conclusion unfortunately.

Yeh you mentioned ? It’s not something normal for bottom end problem.
Strange to be a rod bearing . Have you owned from new ?

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think 160k is low.... I thought these EcoBoost were the cats ass from all the post on them. Not worth spending all that on the new engine

In my opinion the ecoboost is garbage, mine went through three engines in two years, and it spent nine months in the shop of that two years. Only vehicle I've owned with a junk engine. Switched to Ram now, not a single problem with the truck years later.

Top Bottom