Need help with info!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that there are some people out there can help the people in mcbride with a problem that is really upset some people here as it should.. There was a fellow that came to go hunting on horse back in the renshaw area back around mid to end of oct.. the story is that there was a big storm came in and for whatever reason he hiked out himself and left the horses behind.. As far as we know they were still in there a week ago.. There have been several people from town go into renshaw looking for the horses with no luck.. There has been sign of them seen but not able to locate them.. As i mentioned before we heard that they were seen last weekend, this was buy some guys from edson who brought the guy who owns the horses in on sleds.. We were told that they were seen down in the valley from the cabin to the left just before you go to the right and go over the saddle.. So I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any info that people could give on this sad situation as if the cold snap hits and they are still out there i am very worried for the poor animals that didn't deserve this by any means..There are some people heading to that area tomorrow to try and find them but i just thought that i'd start this thread to make some more poeple aware as they might be able to help locate them if they've seen them as the local people here would like to see them be able to be brought out and nursed back to health as they will be in poor health right now due to the snow conditions..

If you have any info feel free to call me at the shop or send me a PM..

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heard this in the cabin this weekend. Sure hope they get those horses out because its deathly cold up there right now. Hunter should be held responsible for leaving his horses up there.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I way I understood the situation was that the hunters were forced to leave the horses in the bush as there was too much snow at the time for them to get out on there own. Lets please not lay blame or bash any parties until ALL facts are known. Lets just find the horses like this thread is intended for.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not try taking up a few square bales of feed up on the groomer sometime during the weekend and dropping them off on the logging road that is b/w km 19 and 20 off of the trail a bit. This spot would be assuming that maybe the horses are farther down the valley and staying close to the river for a source of water and all the trees for cover and shelter from wind. The weekends are the busiest time with sledders rippin up the trail to the cabin so wait till early in the week and bring up 3 maybe 4 horses and set up a make shift corral where they are sheltered from the wind for a couple days. Horses are social creatures and maybe the presence of some other horses in the area will draw them 2 lost horses over and if the feed is there it should hopefully keep them around. All the sled traffic lately probably has them horses so spooked you'd be lucky to catch a glimpse of them while touring around on a sled. Better luck finding them using a helicopter now on the first blue bird day. I heard that them horses have been left up there since the end of October. How come it is/has taken the owner so long to put so much effort into finding them? Would posting a sign at the trail head and at the cabin making fellow sledders aware of the situation help or aide in finding them?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Might be an idea, that when taking trail pass monies, it is mentioned at that time, that way everyone heading up will be aware of the situation??? Maybe they already are dooin' this, but doesn't sound like it......

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what i was told the owner of the horses was taken in there by some sledders on the weekend of the 6th of dec.. He took in some hay and was at or saw the horses.. Hoping to make a trip in on sleds at the beginning of this week as we tried this past week but weather was so bad that you couldn't see anything.. Because they are supposdly off to the left down in the valley just before youturn right to go over the saddle from the left of the cabin.. the plan is to go in and drop into the valley and break a trail out to the main groomed trail as it is only about 2-3km's cross country,but not the easiest going as there are creek crossings that done freeze and stuff like that.. we are also planning on taking in some hay for them at the sameetime.. We figure that if they are still alive and we get a good set-up trail into that valley we can take hay in for them and also they will have alot easier time tring to walk out ot the main trail.. the reason that the locals have not done more to get them out is because most of us have just found out recently and there was a guy who has tried several times to go in and find them before i guess.. Just wish alot more people knew alot sooner.. i heard that there were horses up there on the remeberence weekend but was told that there was a couple of guys who where going up and spending lots of time trying to find and get them out so i wasn't to concerned at the time.. Sure wish i had of been more concerned about it back hen with the way the situation is now.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a number of wild horse running out west that got there under similar circumstances. They will likely move to lower ground to survive and will be tough to find the longer they are out there. There are two outfitters in BC that leave their horses intentionally all winter and come into the area early summer. They send out a couple of the studs they bring in and those hourse round up the mountian horses and their new colts and bring them in to camp on their own. This case could go poorly depending on the country but it may not.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there were people up there and saw them yesterday and one of the three horses isn't around anymore.. There is to much snow for them to really get around anywhere.. but since they have been found to be were we thought they might be there are people that are going to take hay in for them today and make an assesment of the situation and decide what is the best thing to do... We are want to bring them out if at all possible..

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Good luck and hopefully all that try to retreave the horses get them out. Best of luck.To nice of a animal to be left their for the winter.:)

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People are back up there today working on digging out a path for them as the cold weather has made it next to impossible to pack a trail down.. they are also taking up some more hay and some horse blankets for them and are going to build a little bit of a shelter for them..

Wanderlust

Reaction score
People are back up there today working on digging out a path for them as the cold weather has made it next to impossible to pack a trail down.. they are also taking up some more hay and some horse blankets for them and are going to build a little bit of a shelter for them..

More posts regarding this issue under the McBride and Area riding forum FYI! Thanks Glenn for making everyone aware of the situation up there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom