Need help picking out my first sled, opinions wanted

meigsrock

Reaction score
I am looking at buying my first sled and would like any opinions out there. I live in Anchorage Alaska so I am mostly going to be doing mountain type riding, bowls, powder, with only minor trail riding, So I thik I am looking for a mountain sled.

Keep in mind this is my first sled, I a 5'7" and 140lbs. I have read a bit and the opinion seems to be to start off with a 600 and upgrade but I would like to buy a sled that I will enjoy for 3 or so years before upgrading if possible. Relibility would be nice too as I don't have a lot of extra $ to fix it if it goes crap house on me. It seems that most 2 strokes only get about 4k miles before they need rebuilding. If I am wrong please let me know.

I am trying to get the most bang for my buck and hopefully something reliable. I have been looking at 04-07 models because that is about all I can afford right now, something in the $3000-4000 range. I have wanted a Skidoo for ages and that was my first choice but it seems the cat m-series are good from what I have heard and I am open to polaris too.

There are some 04-07 skidoo revs 144" 800's out there for $3700-4000, and a couple of M7's in my price range. Also some f-series too but I don't know much about them. I also have my eye on a couple of 05 Polaris RMK 159" with low miles (1500). The price is better on these at $3500-3700 and they seem nice but I am woried it may be too much sled. It is a big engine and a little bigger track than I was shopping for. Weight is a concern for me as I am a small guy, but this may be an unfounded concern.

I am very mechanical so fixing stuff myself is not out of the question but I don't know crap about sleds yet. What should I look out for and check out under the hood when shopping, problem areas, wear parts etc.

Thanks for any advice.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
04 to 07 Revs good choice for the dough you have. I would recommend a longer track than 144. Back then I think 151 track. Good luck happy hunting and welcome to the best winter sport out there.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying my first sled and would like any opinions out there. I live in Anchorage Alaska so I am mostly going to be doing mountain type riding, bowls, powder, with only minor trail riding, So I thik I am looking for a mountain sled.

Keep in mind this is my first sled, I a 5'7" and 140lbs. I have read a bit and the opinion seems to be to start off with a 600 and upgrade but I would like to buy a sled that I will enjoy for 3 or so years before upgrading if possible. Relibility would be nice too as I don't have a lot of extra $ to fix it if it goes crap house on me. It seems that most 2 strokes only get about 4k miles before they need rebuilding. If I am wrong please let me know.

I am trying to get the most bang for my buck and hopefully something reliable. I have been looking at 04-07 models because that is about all I can afford right now, something in the $3000-4000 range. I have wanted a Skidoo for ages and that was my first choice but it seems the cat m-series are good from what I have heard and I am open to polaris too.

There are some 04-07 skidoo revs 144" 800's out there for $3700-4000, and a couple of M7's in my price range. Also some f-series too but I don't know much about them. I also have my eye on a couple of 05 Polaris RMK 159" with low miles (1500). The price is better on these at $3500-3700 and they seem nice but I am woried it may be too much sled. It is a big engine and a little bigger track than I was shopping for. Weight is a concern for me as I am a small guy, but this may be an unfounded concern.

I am very mechanical so fixing stuff myself is not out of the question but I don't know crap about sleds yet. What should I look out for and check out under the hood when shopping, problem areas, wear parts etc.

Thanks for any advice.

stay away from the older body po po rmk.... u don't weight enough to man handle it.... 600 ho rev with either a 144 or 151.... mabe a m7 but i'd only get a 153 till ya have some riding under your belt.... m7's don't have reverse [ where rev's do ] ....

meigsrock

Reaction score
I dont much care for the looks of the older RMK with the trailing arms. I think they are pre 2004 years. Tex78, is this what you mean by the older rmk, or do you mean the 2005+ model I am looking at? That is also good to know about no reverse on the m7's. I think I would prefer reverse and heated grips if possible.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
After you have ridden for let's say a month, there will be many times that the 600 will be under-powered for you. It is a great motor/sled to learn on but it won't take you long to want or need the 800.

As OCC ZigZag says, the longer the track the better. Saying that, stay away from the 04 Polaris Vertical Escape 800 159" (or any Polaris with similar qualities) as they are heavy pigs and way too front heavy. That definitely would be a problem with your height/weight.

Good luck and :welcome: to S&M the best forum out there........

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hold a lot of value in what the people you will be riding with ride. If you are a newbie go with what you have for support with friends and local dealers. If they ride doos ride doos if they are cat people ride cat. You will not know how valuable this is until you are in the middle of no where with a one off machine. They are all pretty solid these days, the only ones to be very weary of are 2007 revs (bad engine) and dragon 800's bad engine as well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with M7 or M8 they are good handling and reliable. The EFI is nice as there is no tuning just pull the rope and go. But I would go with a big track, cause if you lack experience the bigger track could get you out of bad situations easier.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the guys I have talked to in Alaska (seeing how I have never ridden there) many of them have shorter track sleds. (136-144)

Go big, go long, or go home seems to be the motto for Western Canada, but is that the case for AK? You are already getting 6000' conditions at sea level. Are there endless days of power? Do you need long track sleds?

Keep in mind, a 600 won't have the HP loss in Alaska as it would here. Maybe starting out on a 600 etec wouldn't be a bad thing? You would have to spend a few more dollars though. Obviously there are other 600's out there.

If you are interested in ski-doo try doing some searching on dootalk. Lots of AK guys on there.

meigsrock

Reaction score
You see a bit of everything up here from 121" to 163", as anywhere I suppose. It seems like there is quite a bit out there for sale up here in the 140's-150's. I was originally thinking of a 136-144" but now am thinking something in the 144-159" would be better. I think the 140's seems to be a good all purpose sled up here and if you hit the pow a lot then you put a big 2+" track on it.

Track length may just boil down to what sled I like and what I can afford at the time of purchase.

I eventually plan on geting another for the wife so we can both go out on our own. Not sure if I can afford 2 this winter or not. Right now I only have $ for one, so we will have to barrow or rent the other when I get mine, but potentially this could be her sled next year if I have more $ next year to buy a better one.

All the skidoo rev's I can afford are 144" track.

Is there a big difference in carb vs EFI? Should I hod out for a EFI model?

Any thoughts on the 05 900 RMK 159" for me, preformance, size, weight? I have heard some bad and good on them. Some recall problems with some moddles, and vibration from engine to being heavy. Any more thoughts on this?

What about things to look for when inspecting a sled such as ware parts, engine, etc.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keeping your weight in mind, I would not go any longer track than 153 - 155, I have found that beginner to intermediate riders under 170 lbs (in birthday suit) do not like the longer tracks as it can take the fun out of the sport. The line up of sleds for 2012 might just change that!! However in your price range M7 or M8 both worked very well and should there new sled be a hit out of the gate the price on the earlier models may come down a bit in price. Only weak link in them may be the diamond drive/reverse, I have heard it can be a costly repair! As for Polaris, the 700 Dragon 155 is a solid machine (they may be around or just over $4000.00) The earlier Polaris (Edge chassis) worked good but as someone mentioned they can be a bit of a boat anchor. The 800 Dragon?? I have many miles on 3 different machines, with little to no problems, but I do know some folk had a lot of trouble with them. BRP, I'm not a fan (I carry a grudge from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they ruined to many outings) all though in the rev chassis, there are lots out there now, should be lots of parts available, and they do work and ride well. They had there share of engine trouble especially in 07 (I think 06 was there best year) but as for carburators, they had the best set up for altitude changes!! Most important thing is local dealer support, and or what do you see the most of in the parking lots?? It don't much matter what you ride, if you can't get parts!!!! Good luck, there is not a better sport!!!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first one was a 05 rev 800 144 ..

dont buy a 600 for 2 reasons, 1) people will constantly ask you if your sled comes in "Men's" and 2) you will have a really hard time selling it once. Go with the 800 and don't look back

A 144 track is a good one to learn on. The longer the track, the harder it is to throw your sled around and make it "go where you want it" .. you can have the biggest track but if you cant steer your sled you are going to get stuck !

some 151s are garbage too.. my 05 144 outclimed my 07 151 any day and I could throw it around like nobody's business !

an 800 rev with a 144 track is a perfect beginner sled.

oh, and buy a good shovel too, you will put more miles on your shovel the first year ;)

don't be surprised if you start changing everything else in your life to tailor to your new sledding addiction either .. be warned :)

and good advice on "ride what your buddy's ride" .. out here on the coast doo's out number the other 3 brands by a mile.. lots of spare parts / knowledge if you need it out there ;)

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry people but If he is not that experienced a rider you are gonna get him killed. (knock on wood) if you are serious about getting one for the wife then there is nothing wrong with a 600 I went from a 440 fan to a 600Ho with atac system it is a Huge difference. Are you riding in really mountainous area like Revy or Valemont or more subdued area like the foot hills? I have a 07 Polaris 600 Switchback( a crossover sled) and it is a blast. It ride the trails well as well as the deep powder. It has been great. I may go to a 800 but not sure if i need to go that fast, but that is me.JMHO.

meigsrock

Reaction score
The brands up here seem to be pretty even but I am not sure who has the most out there as I don't go out riding. If I had to guess I would say Skidoo is first with Artic cat second, Polaris in third, and of course yamaha in fourth.

I live in the big city so lots of dealers and shops so no problems there, and there should be plenty of the big 3 out on the hills. I do not have a group of people to ride with yet so I can not test ride their sleds or buy the brand they are riding. I know a couple of people who ride, one owns newer M8's, the other I am not sure what he rides.

I have a polaris sportsman atv and i love it. I also have a yamah motorcycle and love that but I don't think I would go yamaha for a sled because not as many people riding them, parts, aftermarket etc.

How critical or useful is reverse? Cat may be an option but if no reverse is this a possible deal breaker? I do like the fact that most cats are EFI in the years I am shopping. Only some of the skidoos are efi that I have come across. I thik the ones I was looking at (can afford) are carbed.

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you want reverse ! comes in handy when turning around on trails, unloading your sled, and occasionally backing away from a cliff or river or drop off or somewhere you decide you no longer want to go ;)

nothing wrong with carb'd sled ..

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 14 year old who weights 145ish rides an 07 m8 which is pushing about 160hp. and handles it extremely well and is very comfortable on it. great sled however if you found one under 4000.00 would be a good deal. same with the m7's, but like mentioned no reverse which is nice to have.

meigsrock

Reaction score
07'S are probably pushing it for price range but I may find a deal or 2 out there. Most seem to be 04, 05, 06 in my price range, and of course eairler models but I am not looking there.

I just found an 05 RMK 900 151" for $3k, but needs an O2 sensor he says. Any thoughts? Is this a bad sign or a possible engine problem cover up?

Also, there may be no good awnser here but I am going to ask anyway:
What is better or less likley to cause problems, a sled with minimal mods and stock original engine etc. with low miles...say under 2000 miles or one that has a new or rebuilt/worked on engine with higher miles........around 4K?

Thanks for all the great advice. I can't wait to get one but still need to learn as much as I can before I pull the trigger. I may go look at some tomarrow after work.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get an m series seen a few 7/8 series in that range with high miles, good excuse to learn and then big bore, the diamond drive is better than it's made out to be and with proper maintenance tend to last pretty well, I wanted a scud and after one ride on the m series I was sold, do find the scud climbs better but the handling isn't what I like and they are pricey, bang for the buck used I'd go with a moderate miled M7 and you'll be happy, trying to get the girlfriend one once I sell my 900 then I have a back up for myself and she will have the handling and more than enough power, even at 6'2 and 240 I had fun on a buddies M7, so at 140 it'll be a rocket for you, reverse is over rated, only time I use mine is unloading

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Polaris but would not advise anyone to buy the 900, they had lots of problems, and were only made for 2 years for that reason. The 04 and newer Revs were good sleds and started the push to the rider forward design that all the manufacturers use now. At your size and the fact that the sled your buying might be your girlfriends sled in the future you should go for a 600. They last longer than an 800 are better on fuel and are easier to toss around. The only time a 600 (with enough track) will not be enough is on the big climbs in super deep snow.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like it has been said a 600 will not have the power of the bigger 800s and on i agree with what has been said that an 800 witha 144-146 is best all around sled but not for a beginner.
a 600 will be awesome. 146 or so track with 2" paddle. witha machine like this you will have to learn to ride to keep up with your buds. will have wayy more fun rippin the 600. there will be no just point and go riding in the hills like to many guys have now adays. everybody is running big sleds with big tracks and no expierience gets alot of guys in trouble thatthey would otherwise not be in if they knew how to ride to the level their sled is capable of being ridden.

once you get some expierience on the 600 and hand it off to the wife/gf/mistress/other and you move up to the 800 you'll be burning circles around all your can't ride buddies that were bugging you about rocking the 600.

in the 600 cc class i think they are all pretty eqaul sleds, and you will have no problem getting rid of it in the future if you plan to sell it. we looked for 3 months before we even seen a decent one for sale for the wife. there is a reason nobody is selling them. way to good of an all round machine and rarely have any issues. last forever and can be ridden anywhere you need to go.
have fun.

Top Bottom