need help deciding which motorhome for pulling

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Heya,

I am looking at purchasing a used Class C Motorhome to camp in and pull my toys (atv, motorcyle, stump grinder). I am purchasing an 18' light car hauler to carry the toys.

I am confused with the amount of different unit out there,

25' with 460
25' with 460 efi
27 with 460
24 wtih 350

Will the 350 be gutsy enough to pull that trailer in the mountains. My buddy has a 27' 460efi and he actually powered out going up a hill, he thought he was a gonner and almost came to a complet stop. Thankfully he made it up and we were good to go.

Will the 460 carbs be just as good as going efi? Not as much choice out there for efi, price really gets steep.

Your help and thoughts are appreciated.

Pointe

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heya,

I am looking at purchasing a used Class C Motorhome to camp in and pull my toys (atv, motorcyle, stump grinder). I am purchasing an 18' light car hauler to carry the toys.

I am confused with the amount of different unit out there,

25' with 460
25' with 460 efi
27 with 460
24 wtih 350

Will the 350 be gutsy enough to pull that trailer in the mountains. My buddy has a 27' 460efi and he actually powered out going up a hill, he thought he was a gonner and almost came to a complet stop. Thankfully he made it up and we were good to go.

Will the 460 carbs be just as good as going efi? Not as much choice out there for efi, price really gets steep.

Your help and thoughts are appreciated.

Pointe
I`d go with the 460, depends how heavy the stump grinder is. as far as the normal toys the 460 should be good.

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
The stump grinder is only 600 lbs, I may get a bigger one but that will never go travelling.

I was hoping the 350 had enough balls cause there are several chevy motorhomes out there that have a great configuration. I so wanted to stay away from the monster 27' plus units.

Pointe

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 460 efi would be a little better. You see a lot of people towing horse trailers with Chey motorhomes.

Could always change the diff for pulling power and you would not need major speed.

Fuel consumption is another thing to consider.

A friend of mine had a 460 efi motorhome and towed a trailer with 4 quads,he never had any problems other than fuel.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the 460 efi or better. I have the v10 in my 2004 31 custom koach and it pulls anything I want. The 350 would pi## you off in a wind storm or trying to pull hills with a trailer behind it.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had an older 20' with the 350 and through the mountains it always worked hard, even empty. We upgraded to a 1999 24' that has a 7.4L(454) Vortec and this thing passes cars going straight uphill with a car trailer and my 06 Mustang on it. Is hard on fuel when driving that way but I would definitaly go with the big block and EFI for a bit better fuel milage.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an old '76 Bendix Citation 28' with the 454, pulled the boat (17.5 Fibreform i/o, t/a trailer) no problem and made many trips over the passes into BC and back. they use the fuel, but pull great. Was in the family since new, just sold it last year for $5K.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will defintitly want to go with a big block (460) those motors were made for pulling, as for efi or carb i think you'll only really notice it in cold starting and fuel econonemy not power in a big unit like a motor home

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Okay, I ended up purchasing the unit (1988) with the 460efi. what a dog with a trailer, the unit had no power whatsoever. After spending the summer enjoying motoring around I am selling the unit and have two options to purchase now
2001 v10 or 2001 7.4L Vortec

Which will be better for pullling/Gas mileage/repairs?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The V-10, only way to go if you are pulling and dont want to go with the diesel.

Okay, I ended up purchasing the unit (1988) with the 460efi. what a dog with a trailer, the unit had no power whatsoever. After spending the summer enjoying motoring around I am selling the unit and have two options to purchase now
2001 v10 or 2001 7.4L Vortec

Which will be better for pullling/Gas mileage/repairs?

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the V10 used to have one in a truck and it had lots of power.

grizzly se

Reaction score
I run my 91 27 ft citation with the 460 fi and have no problem pulling a 14 ft trailer with 2 adult 2 kids 1 dirt bike, and the motor home loaded down with way to much stuff to camp on a weekend, except the beer.

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Yeah my buddy has a 91 28 ft and has no problems. I dont know why mine is sooooo gutless with the 12ft trailer behind but it is. Without the trailer it is a spry nimble machine, totally different.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
The Ford v-10 (1999-2004) has a common (and nasty) problem of popping the spark plugs out of the heads and it takes out the coil pack.

if this happens you're likely going to replace the heads for about $7 grand or you can heli coil it and hope it doesn't pop again.

It seems there aren't enough threads machined into the heads to keep the plug in place.

I haven't heard of a recall on this problem.

IMHO if it were me, I'd look at something else...

pointe_blanke

Reaction score
Well thanks for your help. I purchased a 1999 27' vanguard with the 7.4L vortec. Going to pick it up this week.

Pointe

Top Bottom