Need a winch for a sxs

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at all my options now for a winch. My last winch came with the quad and the one before that was given to me. Looking at what is out there now is crazy. Both in Pricing and what is available. I like the idea of the viper 5000 lb wide spool but conversion and shipping is crazy. Warn is just too damn expensive now. $800-900 should buy a truck winch not a quad/sxs winch. So there is Runva. I looked at them and the price is good but the 3500lb looks great with everything it comes from while the 4500 only comes with a crappy remote. And there is super winch. The 4000lb ( maybe 4500b) looks ok and the price is decent when on sale.

So again like the tires what and where is everyone buying and what are you paying? Pm me if you don't want to post up.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Put a runva 3500 synthetic on the Ace. Happy with it so far!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadas motorcycle has a warn 4000b with dash switch for 429 with free shipping. Seems like a decent deal.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Was debating on taking my 3500lb winch off my sled deck and getting one with a wireless remote. Would be interesting to see people's comments.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had better luck quality wise with viper winches than warn. I recently picked up viper max 4000lb synthetic with mount for 900 rzr trail $359 US shipped to the border.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you use your winch according to the manufacturers instructions most of them will stand up. All winches are rated with one wrap on the spool so every extra wrap reduces your pulling power significantly. Winching for too long without letting your winch cool will destroy the windings in the armature.
Always use a snatch block if your winch is sucking down.
If your the one buried in the mud/ water use buddies winch if you can because no matter what they say no winch is 100% waterproof and muddy sandy water doesn't do your internals any good.
Always try to winch in a straight line as off line pulls break drums and drive components. 85% of the winches I rebuild the problem is caused by operator error. READ the specs on your winch before using it.
Here is an example from a warn but they are all similar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440127108.808370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440127130.972539.jpg
Duty cycle and rated pull by layer are the two most important. You also have to pay attention to the amperage draw as you can see 150 amps is easily reachable. If you only have an 80 amp charging system you will lose power fast. Short pulls with rests to let it cool. Per Warn a ten second maximum pull requires a ten minute cool down. It's not that bad but a good rule of thumb is if it's too hot to touch it's TOO HOT TO RUN.
Look at line speed , some are very slow. Size of the motor and gear ratio are also important. Compare them all per the numbers you will see a lot of similarities. I can get you a lot better deal on a warn than what you posted.

Last edited:

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Warrior 4500 winch with synthetic cable from PJ Trailers in Nisku. It was under $400 a year and a half ago. I only used it a few times but it was way quieter and smoother than any other winch I have used. I don't know how it holds up to water but I saw a video with it and a warn winch under water and it outlasted the warn. I sold my RZR to a buddy and he hasn't had an issue with it. The salesman had a couple RZR's and he was very impressed by the winch.
He was very knowledgeable about them.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Runva ..... Don't get sucked into the warn BS......
As a matter of fact you get what you payed for.... The warn dealer gets your cash!:confused:

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Runva for me and so far so good! 200 for a 4500 shipped to the front door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 4500lb runva winch, still works good and have done some major pulls, it will get hot and the contactor also. for under $200 it possibly may be the best winch out there. as doorfx says let it cool down.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Runva for me as well.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best winch I ever used was always ... Someone else's.....that cat won't need a winch!

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to say for the money, Runva hands down. Have a 4500lb and it has made a few heavy pulls with no problem. Check the website Canadawinch

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you stick with a 4,000 lb you can get a sweet under hood mount for it and keep your existing bumper!
IMG_3203.jpg

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the run 4500 for $200? And what did it come with as for remotes?

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These Ruvna winches are subpost to be really good... never had one thou...

what i do know is that i have used WARN since 1992 till 2010... and had so many problems with them ... and ended up replacing them within a two year period.. .... since late 2009 i switched to Viper and never looked back... great price compared to warn .. but more money then the Ruvna, i believe... but for me Viper has been the winch for me and the best customer service .. bar none in the industry...

Last edited:
Top Bottom