**Need a little help here with a beater

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have a 1996 Ski-doo Touring E 380. I bought the sled two seasons ago for my kids and trap line. I bought it from a friend that had it stored for approx 10 yrs. Its only got 1700 kms on it now. When I picked up the sled, it had half a tank of old gas in it. The first thing I did was tore it apart and replaced all fuel lines, rebuilt carb with new stock jets, plugs, changed oil, flushed inj oil system. etc. It ran like a champ for almost one seaon then started fouling plugs on the coil side of the engine. Can only get maybe 50kms on a plug. One thing Ive noticed is when that plug fouls and that cylinder shuts down, if you pull the spark plug wire off just enough for the wire to Arc on the top of the plug, it starts firing that cylinder again and runs good enough to get you home. The plugs actually have good color, running 91oct and syn oil. BR8ES
Is it electrical or mixture? Thanks.

I was always tought " If you cant fix it with a hammer, then its an electrical problem"

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd clean the carbs again, especially the pilots. Fouling more when putting aroun?
I'd also run the BR(9or8) EYA spark plugs, they are supposed to be anit-foul design.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those were oil injected if I remember correctly (used to have an '05 touring LE w/380) but I can't remember if it had reeds? maybe check coil/wire connection, if the wires are black inside carbon can make weak spark, leading to fouling.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the plug cap may be bad, unthread it from the wire and test it with an ohm meter....should be around 5 k ohms....if its okay that way, next time you loose that cylinder swap the cap to the other cylinder and see if the problem moves too....then you know its the cap....the coils never give problems.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
the plug cap may be bad, unthread it from the wire and test it with an ohm meter....should be around 5 k ohms....if its okay that way, next time you loose that cylinder swap the cap to the other cylinder and see if the problem moves too....then you know its the cap....the coils never give problems.

Ya if i could switch plug wires that would isolate the problem.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ya if i could switch plug wires that would isolate the problem.
Are the plugs solid tops or threaded tops? Threaded tops have tendency to loosen off, even inside the spark plug cap. Change your spark plug caps and wires to the coil, even though they might look good (might cost you 20 bucks?). If none of this helps, get your coils tested and then start looking at your stator. Hopefully you don't have to go that far, to cure the problem.

Top Bottom