Mystery Lake from Hwy 40

Nigel

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has taken the trail up to Mystery Lake (which is almost in Jasper National Park) from Hwy 40?
If so what is the Staging point?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ive been in there,the staging is Bembo's post camp off the highway between Hinton and Cadomin.Why would anybody want to go in there,It aint no family ride.Once your in the cabin is nice and the lake is good for a few good pics!
Have fun,bring spare parts!
catmando!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like Catman says real chore to get to this last 5 yrs. Was not bad but big tires on ATVs really dig it up. Heard rumor that group was to fix up trail possible reaignment thru bad stuff. Good luck you will need it

Nigel

Reaction score
Do you think I would be able to ride a couple of dirt bikes in Honda CRF250s?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think I would be able to ride a couple of dirt bikes in Honda CRF250s?

Ride them... not likely. Much better off to just walk in. You will be pulling, dragging and carrying those bikes for several miles.

At the first Snow and Mud camp out about a dozen of us started the trek in. Only three of us were determined or stupid enough to make it to the lake. It was very dry at that time.

Glen, I sat in a meeting with forestry just over a year ago and this trail was identified as needing attention. Discussions were not of realignment, but of an engineered re-location out of the valley and to the high ground to the north. I expect Forestry to put in much the same effort on a new trail as they did with Box Canyon/Cardnal River Trail. Forestry in Hinton has had funds the last several years for projects like this and several volunteer groups expressed interest in helping out. All at the meeting agreed that Mystery Lake required planning and that there was no solution to patch work or knee jerk actions to the existing trail. If there is a single trail north of the Brazeau that needs to be permantly closed, the existing trail is it, IMO.

cementfist27

Reaction score
7 years later and this thread is brought back to life! Just wondering if anyone has been on this trail lately. I think I know the answer but...Is it in any condition for a sxs to make the trek?

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 years later and this thread is brought back to life! Just wondering if anyone has been on this trail lately. I think I know the answer but...Is it in any condition for a sxs to make the trek?

As far as I know the trail is just the same as always. I have always wondered why they try and shut down all these areas where the trails are good and here we have a trail that goes right close to Jasper national Park and they never said much about it and is just one hell of a mud bog getting in there . Beautiful country back there but over the years the whole area has just gotten torn to hell because it is so wet. I honestly don't see a big deal with all the mud it's not like the earth is going to cave-in or anything and the whole area has been mined, but it would be cool to see an actual nice trail going in there however there is a trappers cabin back there and maybe they would rather it stay the way it is so less traffic? No idea but it would be nice to see that trail fixed up so people could take families in there and enjoy the backcountry because it is a really nice area.
There so many awesome trails around the Hinton/Cadomin area and it could be just a beautiful area to have maintained trails and would be a huge bonus to the Alberta economy but I don't think anybody wants to tackle that project and there are so many greenies and flower Sniffer's that try to shut all these areas down I think it would be a real challenge to get anything like that going .

surreyboy

Reaction score
i was in there about 2 months ago with a RZR 1000 with a wider than stock stance....trail is tight ! only had to winch once but we knew that as we got to the hole....everyone had to winch out...its about a 5`wall out......super rough ride...Cabin is cool....makes a guy wonder how they got all that gear in there......lake is super low

Top Bottom