My trailer solution

Rickles

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had posted a message requesting information on trying to find a trailer for my new sled. I'm new to Alberta and just bought a 2009 RMK 800 Shift with a 155" track. My problem was that I'm driving a Subaru and even though it's all-wheel-drive it's still a small car. The owners manual says that it has a tow weight of 2000lbs and a tongue weight of 200lbs.

So, I bought a M8000HD trailer from Home Depot. It's the 4x8 utility that has gates on the end that fold down to make it a 4x12. I only fold down the back and the sled hangs over about a foot. Total weight with sled and trailer is only around 1150lbs and the tongue weight I would guess is around 110lbs.

I was surprised, but it works perfect and it only cost around $980.00. I just thought I'd share this with you guys as it worked out great for me and my requirements. I went out for the first time today in a farmers field south of Calgary just to warm her up. It was -26, so I didn't stay long. I'm going to head to crowsnest pass next weekend for my first time of real riding. I can't wait. This is my first brand new sled and it's my first mountain sled. I've never ridden in the deep powder or mountains before so I'm looking forward to having an incredible experience. Thank you to everyone on Snowandmud that have given me advice and guidance. Merry Christmas!!!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear i'm sure you'll have a lot fun :beer: I'm sure you've heard it a million times over but do you got all the avalanche gear beacon, probe, and shovel? And know how to use your beacon? Also a avalanche course is a really good idea.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Rickles.

I just joined the forum yesterday otherwise I could have guided you to the exact same solution only a bit faster. I could do this because I have the very same setup. I pull the same trailer from Home Depot with my Subaru built Saab - Saabaru. It works pretty good. I load mine up with my first brand new sled - 08 Rev XP Ski Doo Summit. I only hang off a couple of inches. I would like to pass on two suggestions. 1 make sure you have winter tires because the weight will really push the small car around on the ice and snow. 2 go buy some puck board from the store and install it over the wood to allow easy sliding for the skis. My set up in currently down in Leth but I am going to bring it home soon as I want to try and get some trips in to Golden. Maybe we can meet up at the hill sometime.

Rickles

Reaction score
Haha... that's awesome!! Thanks for the tips. Yeah, let's keep in touch about when we're going to go out. Cheers!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there Rickles & Calg_Rider Good to see that you out there sledding but you guys got to get serious about your rigs. I've seen too many of these Home Depot/ Canadian Tire trailers on the side of the road sitting on a brohen axle. These are light duty units meant for short jaunts in the cities, not long hiway hauls. As for the Subaru or Saabaru or what ever you wish to call it, be very careful as to how big a load that you tow. You don't want the tail wagging the dog. I've seen a lot of wrecks on the road and would hate to come across a "Subaru towing a Home Depot trailer with a 2009 RMK Shift" shiney side down in some ditch between Calgary and BC.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Pipes
I hear what you are saying. And trust me I am very careful when I am pulling my sled. This was why I suggesting to Rickles to get the winter tires. Also according to the specs for the vehicle I am running at half of the rated capacity. These cars and the trailers are rated for 2 thousand pounds - the trailer weighs in at 490ish and I would guess that my XP dry(439) would be close to 500 pounds wet for a total of 1000 pounds. My tongue weight cant be more than about 60 pounds - I can lift it with one hand and it seems no worse than the large bag o cat litter from the wallyworld. These cars are also built with a all time all wheel drive and have a lower center of gravity with the boxer engine which really helps keep things stable.

Is it a perfect long term solution? Well maybe not but it seems to work pretty good for now. In the last 15 years that I have been riding I have seen my share of bad towing rigs and I would have to score our set up well above those. And as far as the trailers on the side of the road - I have to wonder if most guys actually do the math and now what weight they are carrying. It seems to me from what I have seen a lot of them are way overloaded. Cant fault the trailer for that.

Oh and just so you know when I see the brite lights coming from some monster rig in my rear view mirror I will gladly keep to the right and let you by.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve. looks like youv'e got the math down and done your home work. I'll be the white 1 ton Dodge pullin' a white four place enclosed. I'll toot the horn as I go by. You can toot yours when you go buy the gas station that I will be refueling at. From what I hear those Subarus run on the fumes on an oil rag. :beer:

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve. looks like youv'e got the math down and done your home work. I'll be the white 1 ton Dodge pullin' a white four place enclosed. I'll toot the horn as I go by. You can toot yours when you go buy the gas station that I will be refueling at. From what I hear those Subarus run on the fumes on an oil rag. :beer:

Hey Pipes,
Thanks for the reply. Didnt mean to sound like a rant - just wanted to give you the goods but I think I got a bit worked up. And as far as passing you I expect we will be meeting up at the gas station. My fuel economy kinda goes in the toilet when I am dropping a gear all the time going up the hills. I'll just let you break trail and do my best to encourage the chipmunks under the hood to keep up with you. lol.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not sure what size tires are on those HD(Home Depot not heavy duty)LOL trailers,but if they're really small you need to keep an eye on bearings.Seen trlrs with tiny tires have bearing failures due to four bazillion rpm at trlr wheels.Just my 2cents:d

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike
If memory serves they are 12 inch and they are highway rated. I will just have to make sure I keep up on the maintanence. I wish they had grease fittings on the hubs. Maybe I can get the caps tapped out and install some.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hey Mike
If memory serves they are 12 inch and they are highway rated. I will just have to make sure I keep up on the maintanence. I wish they had grease fittings on the hubs. Maybe I can get the caps tapped out and install some.

Crappy tire sells hub caps with grease nipples in them.They might have some that fit...:beer:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Pipes,
Thanks for the reply. Didnt mean to sound like a rant - just wanted to give you the goods but I think I got a bit worked up. And as far as passing you I expect we will be meeting up at the gas station. My fuel economy kinda goes in the toilet when I am dropping a gear all the time going up the hills. I'll just let you break trail and do my best to encourage the chipmunks under the hood to keep up with you. lol.

I think we both got a little worked up. Check the thread on "how cold does it have to be for Gibsons to freeze" the answer might be there:beer: As for greasing the bearings I would look into installing a set of bearing buddies. Anybody with a boat trailer will tell you they are the greatest. I have a set on my boat trailer and my partner and I have similar set up on our four place. Wise investment for anyone pullin' a trailer. I don't know if you've ever done a bearing job in -30 C in a Canadian Tire parking lot? I have, not much fun:eek: If we do happen to meet at a gas station we'll have to have a :beer::beer::beer:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Crappy tire sells hub caps with grease nipples in them.They might have some that fit...:beer:

I think we both got a little worked up. Check the thread on "how cold does it have to be for Gibsons to freeze" the answer might be there As for greasing the bearings I would look into installing a set of bearing buddies. Anybody with a boat trailer will tell you they are the greatest. I have a set on my boat trailer and my partner and I have similar set up on our four place. Wise investment for anyone pullin' a trailer. I don't know if you've ever done a bearing job in -30 C in a Canadian Tire parking lot? I have, not much fun If we do happen to meet at a gas station we'll have to have a

YA thats what I meant:d

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I am definately going to get a set of the bearing buddies. I just looked at the website and they said they can make a custom set if your size isnt one that they mass produce.

This is the first trailer that I have owned and therefore have to maintain so I really appreciate the advice and tips for trouble free operation.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I am definately going to get a set of the bearing buddies. I just looked at the website and they said they can make a custom set if your size isnt one that they mass produce.

This is the first trailer that I have owned and therefore have to maintain so I really appreciate the advice and tips for trouble free operation.
Anything for a fellow sledder, even if he drives a Subaru. LOL:beer::beer:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm loooking to get into the game for next season and currently have a honda crv and would prefer a trailer setup as my summer lifestyle suits a small suv ... but a dodge 1500 is an option. At this stage I'm not a sled owner, just a lurker.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm loooking to get into the game for next season and currently have a honda crv and would prefer a trailer setup as my summer lifestyle suits a small suv ... but a dodge 1500 is an option. At this stage I'm not a sled owner, just a lurker.

HI: ALL LURKERS WELCOME, AND IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS..... POST 'EM. DODGE 1500 WITH SLED IN BACK - ISN'T THAT WHAT EVERY VEHICLE IN YOUR AREA LOOKS LIKE IN WINTER? LOL.........;) WELCOME ABOARD SHADAM! CHEERZ:beer::d:beer:

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Shadam

our trailer setup would likely work out for you pretty well if you dont have the truck option. Its pretty light and affordable. That said if you have or are looking at a full size truck it will offer way more possibilities - in box hauling, single trailer pulling with more power and double sled trailer hauler (open or enclosed). This light duty trailer works for me as a full size truck isnt in the cards just yet but I plan to take the little ones out when they are big enough so I will be upgrading to a full size unit and trailer.

Whats the towing spec for the crv?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda CRV 1998. acording to the manual ... 1000lb tow weight. 110lb tongue weight. and all with a 2litre 4 cylinder motor. haha, it couldnt tow more than a light weight sled on a dinky little crappytire trailer. A dodge 1500 and a XP-DOO is looking like the weapons of choise this coming fall.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1998 honda CRV tow weight of 1000lb tongue weight of 110lb, and all with a 2L 4 cyclinda engine, haha!!! looks like the dodge 1500 is getting closer.

Top Bottom