My Saturday

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't go riding today so figured it would be a good day to deal with the garage and work on the cat. After getting some of the garage cleaned up I went after the left lower radius rod that I had bent and then sleeved so I could ride last weekend. Highlifter rods look pretty good. I think after getting my wheel back on I might have to adjust the rod some. I made it the same length as the stockers but the wheel looks off a bit. Wont know for sure until its on the ground and moved.
radius rod.jpg

Next was to remove the hub retainer. Again I had to pry it off as the nut was starting to push into it. I had bought a couple sockets for this a month ago just to get this done. Welded the socket to a piece of pipe so I could slice it off in the chop saw. Worked like a charm. Cleaned up the stock retainer and tig welded the slice-o-socket on.
hub retainer.jpg
Next step was to remove the hub, push out the studs and drill. Although I am pretty pissed about having to pay as much as I did for the kit from Pace, everything was there and it saved me time. So not all bad. I would have preferred a press to install them but a hammer was the tool. I did use my vise and a socket to press them out. I will probably try the vise to do the next one. Got the hub reinstalled with red loctite with the retainer. The week is sure easier to install now with normal stud instead of the stock stuff.

new studs.jpg

Taking a break for dinner and will probably start the other side in a bit. I am just taking my time and enjoying the work instead of rushing through it. There my be a few twisted teas going down too.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are what cat puts on for stock wheel studs vs the new ones.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445123865.771902.jpg

Also a pic of the stock retainer with the wheel still on. Not the best design. The nut on the rear hub was trying to spin off already.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445123946.529378.jpg

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice work, Keith ....cat builds a great machine but sure mess up a pile of little things that could be better...
Hope the new wildcat has these little bugs resolved!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt they have been changed for the 16 model. Maybe for 17. I have mentioned these things in my arctic cat survey. Not sure if they will pay attention to things like this. It is a good machine. Just needs small changes.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like them a lot. They ride well and work well. Not sure how they will do in the snow and ice but will find out fairly soon I think.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta ask....why the funky retainer gizmo? Every other brand gets away with a cotter pin...?

I will add that I rode with a guy for many years who ran an AC 500 quad...and one rear hub was always breaking the cotter pin, nut would spin off and the wheel would fall off...usually not at a great time. Is it an AC thing?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. And from what I'm told just adding a cotter pin won't do anything. It will just break it off. Some guys are using a thicker plate made in the states and a roll pin. I copied this from another guy that did it and has worked for him. My left rear but was starting to back off so it was only a matter of time.

Top Bottom