My quad is cold....

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '06 700 polaris sportsman that I use for plowing in the winter.... but I hate to start it when it is cold. Is there such a thing as a block heater or something that that will warm it up prior to starting??

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Polaris makes block heater pads. I would just call them and ask for the part # for your quad.

TB800

Reaction score
Arctic cat makes an inline heater. about $50

Attachments

• Arctic Cat inline heater.jpg
    Arctic Cat inline heater.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 334

DieselDemon

Reaction score
Im a big fan of the garage method myself. Also it keeps the snow off lol. But it would be a cool uh warm idea to plug the quad in when its in the box of my truck going for a long drive to go quadding...

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I use a magnetic heater to get mine warmed up,,,,, no fuss ,, no worries of adding stuff and having it ripped off in a mud hole in the summer. I stick it to the block where ever it fits,,, just dont let it touch wires or plastic. also works good on diffs and brakes that are froze up.

mudhunter

Reaction score
The battery tender is a great idea if it isn't running every few days(still a great investment).. I've found if you have a unwilling quad to start a halogen light directed near the carb or top end will help out a lot..

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help....

I called the local polaris dealer and he had nothing in the way of a heater...:confused:
The quad doesn't have much problem starting..... I just cringe having to start it when it is this cold. I would put it in a heated garage if I had one.... but no cigar...:(
What is a battery tender? Is that like a charger??

I'm liking the inline heater idea as well as the magnetic heater.... but where do I get the magnetic heater.... just at an automotive shop??

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Royal distributing had universal inline block heaters for quads, may want to cheak it out. Or just use an old alaskan patch.

nightmagic

Reaction score
you can get the inline heater at canadain tire. also you can get the heating pads at greggs distruting i beleive they are made by wolverine

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys.... I'll check it out tomorrow... my quad will be much happier!! :d

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tell your local polaris guy that kimpex makes an inline heater. just put it inline of one rad hose, plug it in and it will heat and circulate coolant. I think they are about $45.00 bucks.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
tell your local polaris guy that kimpex makes an inline heater. just put it inline of one rad hose, plug it in and it will heat and circulate coolant. I think they are about $45.00 bucks.

Does that inline heater warm up the coolant enuff to open the thermo stat? other wise its not goin to cycle properly, u'll just warm the coolant in the hoses and rad. Just a thought
Side question:

What is best to warm up, the coolent or the oil, or something else?

Warm the oil, U wont be able to crank over cold , thick oil. I tell alot of peeps to hand pull the motor over to free up the crank in the cold. seems to work.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the inlines really circulate it to much. More so just cundution of heat through the coolant, so i would imagine the closser to the engine the better. I have always found a warm battery makes the biggest diff when its cold. I have charged batteries inside and let them warm up and take it back out and bang chit fires right up.

UMACHME

Reaction score
Warming the engine oil would be the best way as compared to a circulating heater for the coolant...

Top Bottom