My new Sled, and questions about summer storage

Elenor84

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally bought my first real sled. Before I have owned really old sleds just for ice fishing and booting around. I really want to get into snowmobiling alot more next season and hopefully do quite a bit of trail riding.

My new sled is a 1996 Polaris Indy Trail Touring.

I wanted a sled with reverse and electric start. I took it for a ride the other day and it runs really well.

Here are a few pictures.

I have a few general questions about storage for the summer. I plan on storing it in my garage under a cover. I should lift the track off the ground and suspend it right? Also this is my first sled with a battery. What should I do with this battery over the summer?

Thanks alot for any advice.

Also I think I'm going to try to get out one more time before the end of the season. Anyone going out for a ride next weekend? I definetly don't know to many people with sleds and would love to get out one last time.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 408
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 396

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on buying a "real" sled. :) (even if it's a polaris :p :p) Kidding. :d

We've only ever stored them with the track lifted when they were stored in the dirt floor shed. I leave mine in the trailer all summer. I put in fuel stabilizer and run for a bit. I remove the belts. As for your Battery, Dad used to have an old Wild Cat with a batt. he removed it for time being, then charged it before putting back in come next winter. I think as long as you disconnect it you should be fine. Dad also starts his a couple times during summer. If I remember I do to, usually I forget to. What riding areas are you close to???
:beer:

Elenor84

Reaction score

We've only ever stored them with the track lifted when they were stored in the dirt floor shed. I leave mine in the trailer all summer. I put in fuel stabilizer and run for a bit. I remove the belts. As for your Battery, Dad used to have an old Wild Cat with a batt. he removed it for time being, then charged it before putting back in come next winter. I think as long as you disconnect it you should be fine. Dad also starts his a couple times during summer. If I remember I do to, usually I forget to. What riding areas are you close to???

:) Thanks!

Well I live on the south side of edmonton. I've been out to saunders lake a few times. Other then that I don't know to many riding areas.

Elenor84

Reaction score

O, and I'm curious. What is the purpose of removing the belts? Does this help them not to get stretched out?

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we never bother but we pull it off before next season to clean the pulleys and wash the belt in soap and water itwould hurt to give it shot grease to squeeze any moisture in the bushings out .My qustion is why are you parking so soon the trail are still in great shape we just got back from Whitecourt still hittting 4' snow

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always put my sled on the little 4 wheel dollies so that I can move it around my garage. Fuel stabilizer is a great idea, disconnect the battery if you like but if you don't have drain on it and it is good shape you should be fine. Never put a battery on a concrete floor as it will kill a battery in a heart beat. As for taking the belt out that is a new one for me. If you are not a nutso rider we go to Whitecourt for some very decent trail riding. There are a number of trail systems if groomed trails are your speed(Whitecourt golden triangle, long Island Lake and I believe Devon has a trail system as well.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel preservative is a good idea, start with fresh gas ( siphon out the old stuff first) and run it through the engine. I also pull the plugs out and squirt some oil down the hole and pull it over a few times. Grease the skid frame and spindles to get the water out of the suspension. Also a good idea to check the chain case and change out the lube oil in it. Disconnect the battery and hook up a float charger, if you want it to last more than a couple of years. Like MXZ sledhead said , there should be lots of riding left this year.

Trench:beer:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O, and I'm curious. What is the purpose of removing the belts? Does this help them not to get stretched out?

Not too sure how true it is, but was always told to remove them because leaving them in would misshape them a bit and run rough until they get worked back in.

as for other riding area's I live East of Edmonton, usually ride Ministik (which I believe is closed now) and Cooking lake is a big area to play on. Whitecourt is a lot of fun, but makes for a long day.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is 2-3 months left of riding here.....the way it keeps snowing in the hills, we should be sledding right through summer lol........June 20th last year and this year is nothing like last year!

oh and nice clean looking sled! the kid has a 550 trail RMK that I put a 2 inch track on......if your going to the hills you might want to go a little bigger track but dont go any bigger than the 136x2 because that little fan engine just cant turn any more.......the 136x2 made a big difference!

Last edited:

Elenor84

Reaction score
we never bother but we pull it off before next season to clean the pulleys and wash the belt in soap and water itwould hurt to give it shot grease to squeeze any moisture in the bushings out .My qustion is why are you parking so soon the trail are still in great shape we just got back from Whitecourt still hittting 4' snow

Your probably right! I just see the forcast and keep thinking that all the snow is going to melt. I would love to try out these whitecourt trails...
Thanks for the summarization tips!

I have always put my sled on the little 4 wheel dollies so that I can move it around my garage. Fuel stabilizer is a great idea, disconnect the battery if you like but if you don't have drain on it and it is good shape you should be fine. Never put a battery on a concrete floor as it will kill a battery in a heart beat. As for taking the belt out that is a new one for me. If you are not a nutso rider we go to Whitecourt for some very decent trail riding. There are a number of trail systems if groomed trails are your speed(Whitecourt golden triangle, long Island Lake and I believe Devon has a trail system as well.

I am definetly not a nutso rider. I think my highest speed I have achieved this year is like 35. I would definetly like to head to some trails up at whitecourt...When would you guys be heading? Would I need a trail Pass?

Thanks again for the summerization tips....

Elenor84

Reaction score
there is 2-3 months left of riding here.....the way it keeps snowing in the hills, we should be sledding right through summer lol........June 20th last year and this year is nothing like last year!

oh and nice clean looking sled! the kid has a 550 trail RMK that I put a 2 inch track on......if your going to the hills you might want to go a little bigger track but dont go any bigger than the 136x2 because that little fan engine just cant turn any more.......the 136x2 made a big difference!

Thanks!

Ya I was wondering about tracks. This one seems to be quite good but I'm sure I could always use some more tracktion....

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking next sunday as Sat is the son's birthday better be there for that. Will keep you posted if you would like.:)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned a thing about storing the engine properly. A 96 will have a fuel shut off valve, close it and remove the air box so when you start the sled you'll be able to start spraying fogging oil into the engine just as it runs out of gas. The engine will run on the fogging oil. After you sprayed enough in the engine remove the sediment taps at the bottom of the carbs to get all the junk out of them. Put the air box back in, remove the spark plugs and spray alittle fogimg oil in each cyl. After drain all the gas out of the fuel tank and put alittle fuel treatment in the tank. This will protect the crank brgs against corrosion and i still use this method to this day. Once you have done the storage on the engine you will not touch the sled until the next season, dont even start it. Ive owned sleds that i put over 10000 miles on and the engine was never overhauled and still worked awsome. Plus i also stick a rag in the pipe to prevent mice from wanting to build a nest in the pipe.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Nobody mentioned a thing about storing the engine properly. A 96 will have a fuel shut off valve, close it and remove the air box so when you start the sled you'll be able to start spraying fogging oil into the engine just as it runs out of gas. The engine will run on the fogging oil. After you sprayed enough in the engine remove the sediment taps at the bottom of the carbs to get all the junk out of them. Put the air box back in, remove the spark plugs and spray alittle fogimg oil in each cyl. After drain all the gas out of the fuel tank and put alittle fuel treatment in the tank. This will protect the crank brgs against corrosion and i still use this method to this day. Once you have done the storage on the engine you will not touch the sled until the next season, dont even start it. Ive owned sleds that i put over 10000 miles on and the engine was never overhauled and still worked awsome. Plus i also stick a rag in the pipe to prevent mice from wanting to build a nest in the pipe.

Great advice, thanks!

Elenor84

Reaction score

Ya that sounds like really good advise. I just rebuilt both carbs and ya, I was wondering what that hose and tap at the bottom of the carbs were for. should make it fairly easy to drain it.

Thanks again!

Elenor84

Reaction score
I am thinking next sunday as Sat is the son's birthday better be there for that. Will keep you posted if you would like.:)

Ya definetly a good idea to show up for b-days :)

Ya Keep me in the loop, as of now I don't have too much goin on this weekend.

Elenor84

Reaction score
I got another one...

Turns out my friend I bought this sled off of, his parents had one that they wanted to get rid of too. Funny thing is it is the exact same sled! I got twins!

Here's a few shots....

This one needs some minor touchups here and there but it should be a great second sled.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 73

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What size is the engine? 600? Better than a kick in the butt with a frozen mucluck. The pictures suggest that they seem in good shape.

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel preservative is a good idea, start with fresh gas ( siphon out the old stuff first) and run it through the engine. I also pull the plugs out and squirt some oil down the hole and pull it over a few times. Grease the skid frame and spindles to get the water out of the suspension. Also a good idea to check the chain case and change out the lube oil in it. Disconnect the battery and hook up a float charger, if you want it to last more than a couple of years. Like MXZ sledhead said , there should be lots of riding left this year.

Trench:beer:

This is what you do before storing...Trench has it right!

Top Bottom