My fix for worn out recoil housing!!!!!!!!!!! Never buy one again!!! Hopefully

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, Ijust thought Id share how i fixed my recoil on my 06 REV 800... Recently I rebuilt the recoil, used a new washer,etc... I then went on a trip ti Vale...3rd day my recoil flew apart right when the motor caught..... Pulling the little washer off of the stub inside the recoil housing and jamming it all up...

When I got home, I cleaned it up a bit, installed a new washer, installed on sled, same thing happened... I guess what happens after you remove the washer multiple times you end up wearing the plastic out that the washer locks to.... Nothing holds the washer there, then it just falls apart again...

I dont know if anyone else had tried this, but I decided instead of buying a new housing for big $$$, I'd put my mind to work and try to find a simpler way.... ENTER BRIGHT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!

IMG00546-20120108-1355.jpg Here you can see a 7/16 washer pressed onto the little stub on the recoil housing... Apparently a Grade 8 Flatwasher is a perfect snug fit onto the stub.... But i figured it would just fly off again, so I then decided that it wouldnt hurt to TAP the stub to 3/8" coarse thread

IMG00547-20120108-1356.jpg You can TAP this stub to 1" deep, but any farther you risk popping out the other side..... Once it was tapped, I then used another 7/16 washer, installed on top of the original one..... Once that is done, all you need is a 3/8" Lock-washer and a 3/8"X1" Bolt..... I found just to be safe, I decided to Shave half of the thickness of the bolt-head off, just to make sure nothing was going to rub.... Used a little Loctite on the Bolt and VOILA!!!!!!!!!!

IMG00548-20120108-1357.jpg Here's the end result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you can see, the bolts and washers fit quite well, and hold just the right amount of pressure to let the recoil function properly.... And hey, if this doesn't work.... At least I tried!!!!!!!! I pulled on er lots since the repair and all seems good!!!!!

Hope all can use this info....... CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if the pics are fuzzy, hope you get the jist of it....

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Got yourself a good "thinkin cap" on.What loctite did you use?

Red, There wasn't an actual requirement so i used whatever I had LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually had it together before pics were taken so i had to tear apart again to show thew S and M community!!!!!!!!!! Within 5 min the Loctite was already curing!!!

P.S
apple don't fall far from the tree ;) :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also done this but drilled it all the way. Used a bolt with a nylon lock nut just the right length so the nut has had a few turns into the nylon. Tightened it up so it wasn't loose. Never touched it again

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also done this but drilled it all the way. Used a bolt with a nylon lock nut just the right length so the nut has had a few turns into the nylon. Tightened it up so it wasn't loose. Never touched it again

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

So far works AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad my mind was working that day LOL!!!

Top Bottom