My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
That information has been shared and debated on this thread and many others..... Not really the point of this thread

Guy decides to buy a Tesla
Guy shares his real world experience on a public forum - good/bad/otherwise

Full electric would never work for my lifestyle/schedule at this stage but I'm still very interested the facts

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of bankruptcies are coming... no doubt about it. Who knows the next industry that will be targeted for annihilation. Canada is not a place to invest in with its current uncertainty and lack of leadership. Nothing going to change with an unethical PM, and masked highwaymen terrorising this country.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of bankruptcies are coming... no doubt about it. Who knows the next industry that will be targeted for annihilation. Canada is not a place to invest in with its current uncertainty and lack of leadership. Nothing going to change with an unethical PM, and masked highwaymen terrorising this country.
Just a little bit over dramatic don't you think ..... Lots of short term hysteria over COVID and oil drop but look long term - Canada is still a very stable democracy with strong resources both natural and human with lots of opportunities for development.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little bit over dramatic don't you think ..... Lots of short term hysteria over COVID and oil drop but look long term - Canada is still a very stable democracy with strong resources both natural and human with lots of opportunities for development.
Really? Oil and gas is dead in Canada right now. Now if you want to invest in gender studies you could get rich.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Oil and gas is dead in Canada right now. Now if you want to invest in gender studies you could get rich.
Perhaps you should look deeper ....Canadian economy is more than one item ...IT has been steadily growing and pays good money .... little company started in Ottawa I believe called Shopify ... Here in NL a little one called Verifin employs about 500 people ....both relatively new businesses and lots more good stories out there too.

Not sure the the gender studies comment??? Its not govts role to make work - its the job of entrepreneurs. Times can and do change so adapt or get passed by ...btw I have 3 daughters who are very capable

As a business owner I know there are ups and downs ...in good times I leave more in the till for the down times. If i can afford to invest I do again knowing there are ups and downs. If you can only afford to be in the business or the markets in good times you really should be there.
In our business we've come off several great years - sure I would like it to continue but I also know that history shows it won't...this year it may very well **** the bed and some of our plans may change or timelines may be shifted but we will still be here ....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should look deeper ....Canadian economy is more than one item ...IT has been steadily growing and pays good money .... little company started in Ottawa I believe called Shopify ... Here in NL a little one called Verifin employs about 500 people ....both relatively new businesses and lots more good stories out there too.

Not sure the the gender studies comment??? Its not govts role to make work - its the job of entrepreneurs. Times can and do change so adapt or get passed by ...btw I have 3 daughters who are very capable

As a business owner I know there are ups and downs ...in good times I leave more in the till for the down times. If i can afford to invest I do again knowing there are ups and downs. If you can only afford to be in the business or the markets in good times you really should be there.
In our business we've come off several great years - sure I would like it to continue but I also know that history shows it won't...this year it may very well **** the bed and some of our plans may change or timelines may be shifted but we will still be here ....
All of the natural resources in Western Canada are under attack by powers outside our control and the groups doing it are using the First Nations as their tools to shut them down. Our naive gov't fails to see this and instead passes UNDRIP legislation playing right into these foreign organization's hands. Canada survives on exports we need an external flow of money to prop up our internal flows of money or it would all eventually grind to a halt as it accumulates in banks and over priced residential real estate. 500 IT jobs is great but a single pulp mill employs that many.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again a bit of drama ... Maybe a hint of paranoia ....Times change - the only real constant. Bricks and mortar retail is being hammered by online - some will adapt, survive and even thrive.
Op was about ev experience - its a big disrupter for sure and I'm curious to learn more.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much of that was at the Tesla exclusive, cost subsidized charging stations?

I had 9 months of free supercharging but I just valued all energy used at $0.20/kWh. Now that I am off free charging it is $0.22/minute under 65KW and $0.44/minute above 65KW. EV chargers are not allowed to sell by kWh so they have to charge by the minute.

Tesla supercharging is so much better than a “fast dc charger”. You just back up, plug in, and go. The price is fair. The speed is the highest. It just works. The petrocanada fast charger I used was a pile of junk. Low speed, high cost, randomly shut off while I was away. The flo/bchydro dc chargers seem a bit better.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 9 months of free supercharging but I just valued all energy used at $0.20/kWh. Now that I am off free charging it is $0.22/minute under 65KW and $0.44/minute above 65KW. EV chargers are not allowed to sell by kWh so they have to charge by the minute.

Tesla supercharging is so much better than a “fast dc charger”. You just back up, plug in, and go. The price is fair. The speed is the highest. It just works. The petrocanada fast charger I used was a pile of junk. Low speed, high cost, randomly shut off while I was away. The flo/bchydro dc chargers seem a bit better.

As long as you’re including the “free” charging in your computations then all is fair.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Total electricity cost for 51,000km..
$1825.80 assuming $0.20/kWh
9129 kWh
1 set of wiper blades was $59.99.
Probably 10 jugs of washer fluid.

This is very useful for me as a comparison. The vehicle that I drive most is a Nissan Altima with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. At 120 kms on the highway it consistently uses around 6.5 liters per 100 kms which I think is really good for a comfortable four passenger sedan and is comparable in size to the model 3 (ignoring for the moment that the Model 3 is faster). 51,000 kms at 6.5/100 kms =3,315 liters at an average cost of .95 per liter is $3,149.25 = $1,323.45 or about $5,300 saving in fuel costs over 200,000 kms.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
How do the 2 cars compare in purchase price?
This is very useful for me as a comparison. The vehicle that I drive most is a Nissan Altima with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. At 120 kms on the highway it consistently uses around 6.5 liters per 100 kms which I think is really good for a comfortable four passenger sedan and is comparable in size to the model 3 (ignoring for the moment that the Model 3 is faster). 51,000 kms at 6.5/100 kms =3,315 liters at an average cost of .95 per liter is $3,149.25 = $1,323.45 or about $5,300 saving in fuel costs over 200,000 kms.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How much was the Nissan though? Tesla is an expensive car, Or no? not sure you'd be farther ahead if saving $ is the goal?

Top Bottom