My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post I paid 12$ for that charge at petrocanada. Think I’ll stick to the Tesla chargers.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that could be an awesome project for Alberta. upgrading the power grid

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one needs a 200amp charger. A 30amp dryer plug is enough for 2 EV.

2 questions..... how long would it take to charge 2 Ev's on a 30 amp dryer plug, and how can these 250kw fast chargers you refer to run on a 30A circuit?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 questions..... how long would it take to charge 2 Ev's on a 30 amp dryer plug, and how can these 250kw fast chargers you refer to run on a 30A circuit?

Home charging (ac) is a slower overnight charge. Dc charging is fast and more suited for someone travelling a long distance.

How long it takes is a huge variable compared to how far you are driving but in my case about 3 hours charging for 90km drive. So think of it this way.. drying 4 loads of laundry is the energy equivalent to pushing a 4100lb car down the highway for 90km at 110km/h.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Home charging (ac) is a slower overnight charge. Dc charging is fast and more suited for someone travelling a long distance.

How long it takes is a huge variable compared to how far you are driving but in my case about 3 hours charging for 90km drive. So think of it this way.. drying 4 loads of laundry is the energy equivalent to pushing a 4100lb car down the highway for 90km at 110km/h.

DC charging at home would take the same time as AC charging as you’re still using the same 30 amp service.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DC charging at home would take the same time as AC charging as you’re still using the same 30 amp service.

You can't DC charge at home, AC at home uses the cars onboard charger to convert to DC for the battery, DC fast charging is high output and specific to superchargers. No one has a home service with enough power to run a supercharger. Being the reason DC fast charging is faster.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't DC charge at home, AC at home uses the cars onboard charger to convert to DC for the battery, DC fast charging is high output and specific to superchargers. No one has a home service with enough power to run a supercharger. Being the reason DC fast charging is faster.

He meant if you used a converter.
Because it would still only be the same amperage.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jhurkot, have you looked at any of the hybrid vehicles? Especially the plug in hybrids? Considering our recent vehicles issues we have been looking at possibly getting an SUV, in particular the Toyota Rav4 Prime, looks like it has 60km EV range and should come with a heat pump cabin heater good to -10 like the Prius Prime has.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jhurkot, have you looked at any of the hybrid vehicles? Especially the plug in hybrids? Considering our recent vehicles issues we have been looking at possibly getting an SUV, in particular the Toyota Rav4 Prime, looks like it has 60km EV range and should come with a heat pump cabin heater good to -10 like the Prius Prime has.

Not really. I don’t see the point of having an ICE in 2020. The volt was a good car but the thing that bugged me the most was that if the battery was just bigger it didn’t need the engine.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really. I don’t see the point of having an ICE in 2020. The volt was a good car but the thing that bugged me the most was that if the battery was just bigger it didn’t need the engine.

I see. For us full electric isn't quite practical yet, the charging infrastructure doesn't exist up here yet. I'd be pretty much landlocked, I don't think I'd quite make the Edmonton supercharger from here in a model Y. Not to mention the nearest service center is in Calgary would be an issue for us.

For the $25k difference in purchase price I can go a long ways paying for fuel in a PHEV. The cool thing I like is 60km EV range will cover 90% of our around town driving, plus the range of gas with service stations on the highway. Also in really cold weather it will run the ICE for cabin heat instead of electric heat.

And maybe then I can justify putting another 10 solar panels on the roof...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see. For us full electric isn't quite practical yet, the charging infrastructure doesn't exist up here yet. I'd be pretty much landlocked, I don't think I'd quite make the Edmonton supercharger from here in a model Y. Not to mention the nearest service center is in Calgary would be an issue for us.

For the $25k difference in purchase price I can go a long ways paying for fuel in a PHEV. The cool thing I like is 60km EV range will cover 90% of our around town driving, plus the range of gas with service stations on the highway. Also in really cold weather it will run the ICE for cabin heat instead of electric heat.

And maybe then I can justify putting another 10 solar panels on the roof...

Yeah those are pretty good points. I think in 2 years having an EV will be more realistic for that location. I wouldn’t have done it either if it wasn’t for the supercharger network.

Top Bottom