My experience with the Tesla Model 3

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thinking about the battery situation and the availability of the metal, I couldn't believe what I found today. I purchased a 4 litre jug of Killex and low and behold it is batter operated!!

I just shook my head and smiled. Yes just push/squeeze the button and the spray comes out.

So with all the competition for the battery metals, what has to be invented to secure the production?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone assume that all EV purchasers are doing it to save the environment? Maybe they just want a luxury class vehicle with exhilarating acceleration and inexpensive fuel costs?

What else could it be tho??? Most like the sound of a V-8 out the pipes, and can have all the luxury their pockets can afford.

Lol I keep hearing the sound of a electric RC car, when thinking of a EV.

Imo electricity is moderately cheap for so long, simple economics of supply and demand.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone assume that all EV purchasers are doing it to save the environment? Maybe they just want a luxury class vehicle with exhilarating acceleration and inexpensive fuel costs?

maybe. but nobody that has one ever says that.....they mostly try to sell the environmental side of them...... the technology is cool, and electric vehicles will one day be the dominant technology, but not until they move away from current battery technology, which at present contain some components that are the most destructive to the environment to produce....

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with most proponents of these “green” initiatives is that they believe that the emissions clock starts the day they turn the key on their car, the wind turbine starts turning or the sun rises for the first time on their solar panels. What occurred before then is conveniently ignored or dismissed.
When everything is taken into account, from the sourcing of raw materials, to construction, installation, maintenance, decommissioning and recycling, these green initiatives are marginally better, if at all, to the current alternatives. There’s no free lunch. Everything in modern society has energy and environmental costs.

And I/C vehicles are made from pixey dust and unicorn farts ?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe. but nobody that has one ever says that.....they mostly try to sell the environmental side of them...... the technology is cool, and electric vehicles will one day be the dominant technology, but not until they move away from current battery technology, which at present contain some components that are the most destructive to the environment to produce....

Oh so your dislike for EV just stems from your deep concern about the environment?

I'm not a performance car guy.....doesn't interest me

It must interest you a little bit, you're in here all the time :)

On a side note, has anyone following this thread tried an EV (full electric or plug in hybrid) yet?

Last edited:

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh so your dislike for EV just stems from your deep concern about the environment?

On a side note, has anyone following this thread tried an EV (full electric or plug in hybrid) yet?

I’ve been following your thread for some time and I have to give you a thumbs up for being so passionate

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i haven't drove one ever. my neighbor has a tesla though.

I personally have nothing against them, but it's not really my style. I'd rather a new corvette or something more like that.

the LAferrari is a pretty cool hybrid, but at 1.5million to 7million price range its out of my budget.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not tried one yet, however I do understand why electric vehicles have a place. I am interested to hear how you charge at home. Do you just plug into a extension cord or is there a special system that you need have installed? Also is it possible to use a regular 110 outlet at all?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is fawkin gold. Now guys are slagging you for not paying road taxes. The same guys that complain about the taxation regime in Canada. He found a loophole and is exploiting it, personally I applaud it the only shame is he wasn't able to get the $10k credit from the Gov't too. If they are stupid enough to hand out money why not get in line? I bet no one on S&M is running marked fuel in their highway vehicles either right.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is fawkin gold. Now guys are slagging you for not paying road taxes. The same guys that complain about the taxation regime in Canada. He found a loophole and is exploiting it, personally I applaud it the only shame is he wasn't able to get the $10k credit from the Gov't too. If they are stupid enough to hand out money why not get in line? I bet no one on S&M is running marked fuel in their highway vehicles either right.

I'd be stoked on not paying the road taxes as well.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don’t have a particular dislike for EV’s, in fact I find the technology interesting. What I have a problem with is with all these green initiatives that pretend to be better for the environment, but when looked at in totality, are at best a wash and no better environmentally than current technology. These technologies should stand on their own merits and economics without government subsidies. I’m probably not any more in tune with the environment than most people, but I’m honest about it.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with most proponents of these “green” initiatives is that they believe that the emissions clock starts the day they turn the key on their car, the wind turbine starts turning or the sun rises for the first time on their solar panels. What occurred before then is conveniently ignored or dismissed.
When everything is taken into account, from the sourcing of raw materials, to construction, installation, maintenance, decommissioning and recycling, these green initiatives are marginally better, if at all, to the current alternatives. There’s no free lunch. Everything in modern society has energy and environmental costs.
Spot on but remember same holds true for the fuel to run both too .... Whether hydro, solar, coal or oil each has some dirty secrets.
Both sides cherry pick "facts"! People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones applies to both camps.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not tried one yet, however I do understand why electric vehicles have a place. I am interested to hear how you charge at home. Do you just plug into a extension cord or is there a special system that you need have installed? Also is it possible to use a regular 110 outlet at all?

Ideally you want 240v charging. If you absolutely have to use 120V you would have no problems in the summer but the winter would not work well. In the summer time I'm using about 12-14 kWh per day. The 120V charging will charge at 1.4 KW. So I would actually be able to drive 100km per day.
In the winter you are going to see higher energy use. The problem with 120V charging in -25 is that it takes a certain amount of energy to heat the battery to get it ready to accept the charge.

My set up right now is just a manual transfer switch off the dryer plug (30amp 240v) which is right next to the garage. I am planning on pulling a new cable to the garage at some point but the basement is finished and it's quite a long run. Doable but not very fun.
With this set up I am charging at 6 KW (6 times faster than 120V plug) or 40km of range per hour.

If you already have the electrical panel in your garage or a welding plug you are set. If you have any questions about charging and don't want to post here, PM me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom