My experience with the Tesla Model 3

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty impressive Johnny, and I did catch up to a Telsa caught up in semi traffic by 3 valley gap eastbound last Saturday. When it opened up to the passing lane, he was gone, before I could even drop a gear.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I would love to test drive one of those. I'm still not convinced they are practical for most applications here in Canada,more of a novelty,but they are definitely getting somewhere. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing yet. Did they mention price? Weight? Range/charge rate,etc?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to test drive one of those. I'm still not convinced they are practical for most applications here in Canada,more of a novelty,but they are definitely getting somewhere. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing yet. Did they mention price? Weight? Range/charge rate,etc?[/QUOTE

Frankly I find the Tesla video to be hype more than anything, almost like a WWE presentation, the sham wow guy or one of those preacher shows. Peterbilt on the other hand seems more legit and added credibility to advancement of electric trucking.

Reactions: win

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to test drive one of those. I'm still not convinced they are practical for most applications here in Canada,more of a novelty,but they are definitely getting somewhere. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing yet. Did they mention price? Weight? Range/charge rate,etc?

$180-250k price. Cheaper to run per mile.
300-500mile range loaded
0-60 in 5seconds unloaded
0-60 in 20 seconds loaded
Will pull 65mph up a steep hill
30min charge time
Better drag coefficient than a $2million super car
Jackknife protection
Electronics already built in (don’t need third party stuff)
Autopilot features and convoy option to make a road train.
Will pull the maximum allowable weight for us highway but haven’t released specifics yet.

Won’t start production until 2020 it looks like.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$180-250k price. Cheaper to run per mile.
300-500mile range loaded
0-60 in 5seconds unloaded
0-60 in 20 seconds loaded
Will pull 65mph up a steep hill
30min charge time
Better drag coefficient than a $2million super car <----yeah but 10X the frontal area. :)
Jackknife protection
Electronics already built in (don’t need third party stuff)
Autopilot features and convoy option to make a road train.
Will pull the maximum allowable weight for us highway but haven’t released specifics yet.

Won’t start production until 2020 it looks like.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of BS and unicorn dust in that tesla propaganda vid. No specs other than performance, which I do not believe.
Tesla S Model is 4900lbs and supposed to do 0-60 in 2.3 sec. Its advertised the truck bobtailing will do the same in 5 sec??

Horrible looking truck as well, Thats alot of glass blaring at you trucking through the Arizona desert. That tesla is a long way from being practical.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, a whole bunch of very debatable propaganda.

A few examples, they say it can go 0 to 60 in 20 seconds, then on their website it says 25 seconds

It says it can maintain 65 mph up a hill with max allowed weight in the USA. Max allowed with how many axles? All their pictures are 5 axle, but what about 6 axle, 7 axle, 8 axle? 140000 lbs is the max allowed, not 80000 lbs.

Allot of hype. Im kinda interested in the Peterbilt stuff, thats a real world truck company who understands the needs of the truckers and companies. I would take their data to the bank.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, a whole bunch of very debatable propaganda.

A few examples, they say it can go 0 to 60 in 20 seconds, then on their website it says 25 seconds

It says it can maintain 65 mph up a hill with max allowed weight in the USA. Max allowed with how many axles? All their pictures are 5 axle, but what about 6 axle, 7 axle, 8 axle? 140000 lbs is the max allowed, not 80000 lbs.

Allot of hype. Im kinda interested in the Peterbilt stuff, thats a real world truck company who understands the needs of the truckers and companies. I would take their data to the bank.

I agree, the peterbilt is more practical. At least it has a drivetrain and its more versatile.

Direct drive electric motors.........

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0-100km/h in 25 seconds with a GVW of 36,000kg takes 744hp. Pretty sure that is more that any stock diesel semi.

acceleration is wonderfull, but with that comes problems. A company like Peterbilt has a long history working with drive lines, weight and torque. I know one thing, when you ramp up your horsepower, things break. Acceleration puts stress on allot of parts. With that kind of acceleration under load, how long will drive tires last? 3 months?

The big thing with trucks is long term reliability. Are the drivelines and electronics going to get you a million km's?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
acceleration is wonderfull, but with that comes problems. A company like Peterbilt has a long history working with drive lines, weight and torque. I know one thing, when you ramp up your horsepower, things break. Acceleration puts stress on allot of parts. With that kind of acceleration under load, how long will drive tires last? 3 months?

The big thing with trucks is long term reliability. Are the drivelines and electronics going to get you a million km's?

If there are no parts to break how do you break them? That is the bonus of direct drive motors, no transmission, no driveshafts, no u-joints, no differentials, no axles, no wheel seals to leak. Getting rid of these parts increases reliability. Even the frames should last longer as there isn't constantly changing torque on it from counteracting the drive-line forces. Brakes would last longer from regenerative braking. No emissions issues, or DPF deletes, or in-frame engine rebuilds.

Just because there is that much power doesn't mean it has to be used, but even with that much power I don't think you'd break the tires loose at max GVW.

Don't get me wrong there are few sounds sweeter than a straight piped straight 6 on full jakes, but I'm having a hard time justifying why a diesel truck could be substantially better than an electric for highway trucking in mild climates.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there are no parts to break how do you break them? That is the bonus of direct drive motors, no transmission, no driveshafts, no u-joints, no differentials, no axles, no wheel seals to leak. Getting rid of these parts increases reliability. Even the frames should last longer as there isn't constantly changing torque on it from counteracting the drive-line forces. Brakes would last longer from regenerative braking. No emissions issues, or DPF deletes, or in-frame engine rebuilds.

Just because there is that much power doesn't mean it has to be used, but even with that much power I don't think you'd break the tires loose at max GVW.

Don't get me wrong there are few sounds sweeter than a straight piped straight 6 on full jakes, but I'm having a hard time justifying why a diesel truck could be substantially better than an electric for highway trucking in mild climates.

Ahhh no. Direct drive motors also have there flaws, where is the fusible link??? Hauling heavy loads and having big power something has to break.

Electric motors have pole slip, broken and cracked rotor bars etc. A 600hp electric motor is about 25g to overhaul depending on its problem.

Even 797 haul trucks have a transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: win

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference between a Tesla car and a class 8 truck. They should work reasonably well on a flat road and a steady speed. Start working it hard in the hills and battery life will be very short, and the regenerative braking will be limited due to excessive motor temperatures, particularly a problem with the direct drive motors.
Stopping and starting with a heavy load in stop and go traffic will eat the battery in a hurry too. The start-up inrush current on an electric motor is much higher than the current required to run at a steady load and speed. Not good for battery life, and there’s little opportunity for regenerative braking in heavy traffic.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh no. Direct drive motors also have there flaws, where is the fusible link??? Hauling heavy loads and having big power something has to break.

Electric motors have pole slip, broken and cracked rotor bars etc. A 600hp electric motor is about 25g to overhaul depending on its problem.

Even 797 haul trucks have a transmission.

No something doesn't have to break, it far easier to design and control a system with a few components such as an electric motor. It's incredibly easy to program torque limits into the controllers of the electric motors.

The Tesla also has 4 motors, not a single one, a similar design as used in the cars, haven't heard a lot of failures on them.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference between a Tesla car and a class 8 truck. They should work reasonably well on a flat road and a steady speed. Start working it hard in the hills and battery life will be very short, and the regenerative braking will be limited due to excessive motor temperatures, particularly a problem with the direct drive motors.
Stopping and starting with a heavy load in stop and go traffic will eat the battery in a hurry too. The start-up inrush current on an electric motor is much higher than the current required to run at a steady load and speed. Not good for battery life, and there’s little opportunity for regenerative braking in heavy traffic.

Every time you step on the brakes in a traditional vehicle you throw away energy, every time a semi uses the jake brakes they also throw away energy, with electric motors this energy is recaptured and put back in the battery. Saying you lose longevity in hilly terrain or stop and go traffic is old school thinking. With an electric if all the energy of stopping can be recovered in the motors hilly terrrain or stop and go makes little difference. If you travel a route through hilly terrain as long as the start and end point elevations are the same the energy used will be similar to that of the truck on flat ground, because every-time the vehicle is slowed going down hill the energy is captured to use on the next uphill, the only loses are those of the motor and battery transforming this energy, each of which should have efficiencies of over 90%. This is exactly where an electric trucks wins over diesel, the diesel will take considerably more additional energy in these circumstances.

Inrush current makes little difference to battery life as this is such a small portion of the total energy used. That's like saying you loose a huge amount of fuel economy in a pickup when idling at a stoplight because the gauge maxes out at 99L/100km, it's not that energy consumption goes up, its because the small amount of energy being used is doing not work, so the efficiency is 0%

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its hard to find specs on this tesla semi, its not even on the road yet.

But I imagine it will use traction motors like a train. It will have gear reduction built onto the motor.

Pretty sure they have that on the Tesla cars as well.

Its not really a direct drive in the way you're thinking it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom