My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. ABRP takes into account wind and temperature. It was a headwind and 3 degrees.

I’m not sure how you are confusing 11minutes for 10 hours. It says right in the table. I’m saying that when I get to the destination I plug in before I go to sleep and wake up with a full charge. Total duration of trip is 5h2m.

he is saying it took a total of 10 plus hours of charging to complete the trip, including precharging in order to have full batteries when you left.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I charge while I sleep, so I don't really factor that in as something that I'm spending time doing.
That also assumes that my battery was completely dead the day before the trip.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
  • Thanks
Reactions: win

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I charge while I sleep, so I don't really factor that in as something that I'm spending time doing.
That also assumes that my battery was completely dead the day before the trip.
I can't wait until I get a bunch of visitors staying over (like Thanksgiving) and all of them want an extension cord run out to the street to plug in the car. Good luck! They better get up early to go find a charging station to hang out at. And there are no superstations near me.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until I get a bunch of visitors staying over (like Thanksgiving) and all of them want an extension cord run out to the street to plug in the car. Good luck! They better get up early to go find a charging station to hang out at. And there are no superstations near me.
You'll give 'em the cords when they decide to plop the portable solar panels up to charge the cars....be staying an extra 5 days at your place drinking all yer beer!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that i even care about your batteries, but you better get up to speed on charging and life of batteries because changing those things is really expensive. This also applies to other lithium batteries so it is a good read for everyone.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/26/the-secret-life-of-an-ev-battery/

Nice link. And where does it say that going below 40% SOC effects the maximum number of cycles?

I will worry about my batteries at the 500,000km mark.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice link. And where does it say that going below 40% SOC effects the maximum number of cycles?

I will worry about my batteries at the 500,000km mark.

Now that’s funny

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why would you invite people with EV to your thanksgiving dinner? Don't you want to have a civilized meal with no arguments?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I think its 8 batteries 44kw and 800lbs each
[FONT=Open Sans, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]From the exterior, there are only a few clues that you’re not dealing with a conventional diesel-powered Model 579 tractor — chiefly the “eight-pack” battery assemblies on the frame behind the cab. These are 44-kw battery packs that give the truck up to 250 miles of range in highway driving conditions. Vito said each individual battery pack weighs approximately 800 lbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yes,looks like 6400lbs of batteries.That's a little more believable.[/FONT]

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
44 battery packs each weighing 800lbs. So there is 16mt of battery packs.....

I may have missunderstood, but I thought it was 8 - 44 kw battery packs at 800 lbs each?

It is interesting, and I can see a value in having those trucks for in city use

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have missunderstood, but I thought it was 8 - 44 kw battery packs at 800 lbs each?

It is interesting, and I can see a value in having those trucks for in city use
Yep, my bad. Agree that 6400 lbs is actually pretty good. Depending in the weight of everything else, I would think that it could be lighter than a diesel?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, my bad. Agree that 6400 lbs is actually pretty good. Depending in the weight of everything else, I would think that it could be lighter than a diesel?

Well, once you factor in the tranny, the electric motors, the extra components, I suspect it would still be heavier, but I havnt seen any specs one way or the other.

They say a max 250 mile range? But based on what? Is that bobtailing or running 5 axle loads at 39500? Is that up hill, down hill, or flat ground?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not including the weight of the diesel fuel tanks, the fuel supply on a electric truck is approx 4200lbs heavier, if a diesel truck had dual 150gallon tanks.

No mention on the weight of the control system under the hood, but it looks like the ET is at a performance disadvantage.

Going from a range of 250miles ( no mention if the range is bobtail or loaded) from 1000miles isnt very profitable.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
So not including the weight of the diesel fuel tanks, the fuel supply on a electric truck is approx 4200lbs heavier, if a diesel truck had dual 150gallon tanks.

No mention on the weight of the control system under the hood, but it looks like the ET is at a performance disadvantage.

Going from a range of 250miles ( no mention if the range is bobtail or loaded) from 1000miles isnt very profitable.
That's a good range for city p&d trucks. And that's where pollution is more noticeable than out on the highway. Leave the big diesels out on the road doing what they do best and leave these "zero emissions" trucks in the city where they can deliver granola and Starbucks.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a good range for city p&d trucks. And that's where pollution is more noticeable than out on the highway. Leave the big diesels out on the road doing what they do best and leave these "zero emissions" trucks in the city where they can deliver granola and Starbucks.

I agree on the p&d trucks, but unfortunately the 250mile range was highway miles.

Top Bottom