My Christmas week - Brain bleed - Stroke - Updated Dec 22, 2023

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose you know more about that feeding tube and out come? My sister in law stroke put her on a feeding tube, she is no where close to getting out of bed though.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I don't suppose you know more about that feeding tube and out come? My sister in law stroke put her on a feeding tube, she is no where close to getting out of bed though.
Im on a chest peg feeding tube as my entire esophagus area was not functional at all. This is done in a surgical suite while you ate out. Quite easy to do but they prefer not to as its quite invasive. They prefer a tube down your nose. Im my case and many that just is not feasible. So they feed a formula through a tube directly into your chest. I have been seeing a thoat refer and spew h therapist. On the first attempt with x-rays and barium mixed with food pr liquid i failed and all they gave mw would go into my lungs causing aspiration which leads to pneumonia. Which i ended up with, now that is gone and im able to swallow ice chunks/chips, pudding, thick lemon and cranberry juice and even a teaspoon of water which is confirmed by asking you to talk right after. Of the liquid is sitting in your throat she know and will put you through more therapy. In my case today a passes the visual exams well and am able to swallow so tomorrow at 2:15 pm i am going again for the VFSS exam which i will be under a live x-ray drinking and eating different barium infused items including diced foods. If i pass or where this goes i will start eating again. Thank god.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Today at the glenrose was very busy. 9;00 the PT lady came we walked down to the gym then i stood there she took the walker away i had nothing to hold onto and she said put your feet tight together and stand on the spot for 2 minutes. Well i tell you i never had it where i wanted two minutes to go by so fast but finally it did before i lost myself. So sat down for a minute and did that again. That was enough i was so disey and the room was spinning like those days when you knew you should have left that last shooter alone. Then she brought out a step. Well that was alsp interesting but i managed. Then for the end of the session we walked about at least 1.5 km in this building she made me push the elevator button and back up and then go back to the ward and my room. While i was honestly spent. Thats enough pf that for a day. Then had several other visits from OT therapists to doctors and the swallow doctor. Day 2 done.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ya definitely sounds like your just about ready for a sled trip. Take care Ron, your posts are inspirational to say the very least.

Cheers
Thanks Mitch this is a journey I really dont want to going down however the alternative is not a great one and im glad to still be around to enjoy things. My xBrothrr in laws 46 year old buddy died of a massive stroke last week. This hit my cerebellum which controls alot. Doctors here are already baffled on what i can still do and said im very lucky.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Today at the glenrose was very busy. 9;00 the PT lady came we walked down to the gym then i stood there she took the walker away i had nothing to hold onto and she said put your feet tight together and stand on the spot for 2 minutes. Well i tell you i never had it where i wanted two minutes to go by so fast but finally it did before i lost myself. So sat down for a minute and did that again. That was enough i was so disey and the room was spinning like those days when you knew you should have left that last shooter alone. Then she brought out a step. Well that was alsp interesting but i managed. Then for the end of the session we walked about at least 1.5 km in this building she made me push the elevator button and back up and then go back to the ward and my room. While i was honestly spent. Thats enough pf that for a day. Then had several other visits from OT therapists to doctors and the swallow doctor. Day 2 done.
That sounds like a very full day for someone who didn't have a stroke 2 weeks ago! Keep going buddy, you got this!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch this is a journey I really dont want to going down however the alternative is not a great one and im glad to still be around to enjoy things. My xBrothrr in laws 46 year old buddy died of a massive stroke last week. This hit my cerebellum which controls alot. Doctors here are already baffled on what i can still do and said im very lucky.
Wow, your going through a lot, good positive attitude , good family and friends and some goals will do wonders for you. Keep strong

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So today therapy was more intense. We walked for a bit then she said now we are going up and down some stairs. So ww went to one of the stairwalls on the noth side 2nd floor and i had to go up to the third floor then back down. I did better than I thought I would. Then walled with walker at a decent pace for 6 min. Theb meet with ot therapy for 1 hr now waiting for VFSS - Xray swallow assessment. Cross my fingers

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well that didn’t go so well. I swallowed water and barium, apple juice and barium, pudding and barium then had issues swallowing a capsule and pudding. My esophagus is still being a bit lazy (retarded in my words) and i guess there is too much residual sitting there to remove the risk of aspirating again. Well i guess i get a sippy cup that gives me a certain amount of water each time to wale up those muscles. He said i would need to wait 2 more weeks and i said lets do again in 10 days. Ill work on this and will pass next time.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Thank you to jason at Phoenix roofing they got my railings installed so fast.

Today (Saturday) i go do my business, brush, shave then went to shower, had about a 20 minute shower, dressed myself and walked with assistance of walker to my room. Nurse came and i was sitting in bed. Think surprised a but, this assists by record here for my independence. Now relax for a bit then go for a walk or two/three.
Resized_20231208_170045.jpeg

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Found out that while I arrived in Fairview hospital they didn’t have the drug I needed for strokes no nothing was done. I was taken to peace river by ambulance - no rush as they thought I had a headache, arrived there and the same no wonder stroke drug there which can reduce the effects of this. So while I sat there getting worse for 2 days then airlifted to Edmonton it’s now to late to administer the drug as the effects are now irreversible. Nice heath system we have. .

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found out that while I arrived in Fairview hospital they didn’t have the drug I needed for strokes no nothing was done. I was taken to peace river by ambulance - no rush as they thought I had a headache, arrived there and the same no wonder stroke drug there which can reduce the effects of this. So while I sat there getting worse for 2 days then airlifted to Edmonton it’s now to late to administer the drug as the effects are now irreversible. Nice heath system we have. .
Bro… so wrong. . 😑. Was it tpa?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Bro… so wrong. . 😑. Was it tpa?
Tpa?
As I been so busy with content therepy I did not have much time for visitors other than my mom, and in RA we were always under Covid watch or lockdowns. I minimized visits however my laptop died and I had to buy a new one right away. Jade and Dean delivered it today and we had a nice long visit. Thanks.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tpa?
As I been so busy with content therepy I did not have much time for visitors other than my mom, and in RA we were always under Covid watch or lockdowns. I minimized visits however my laptop died and I had to buy a new one right away. Jade and Dean delivered it today and we had a nice long visit. Thanks.
Nice for you to get that visit Ron!

Scary to hear that they didn't have that stroke drug on hand in those hospitals.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Yes. I consider myself very lucky again. I can already stand on my own and get around here well. I cruse all over the 4th floor all day. This week I’ll be allowed to cruise all over, I’ll wear the wheels of this walker. I’m not as tired and my stamina is much better. Taking more risks now and feeling better. Need to work on my swallow as well. If ifs not changing mid week I’ll be going for some manipulation surgery therepy where they push the esophagus muscles with forceps to attempt to wake them up more. I’m all for anything. Already have a hole in my stomach with a feeding tube that was easier than going to the dentist.

Top Bottom