My Alpine Motorsports Turbo Nytro - it's on fire!

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No really. It's on fire. 2008 Nytro MTX with front mount turbo done by Alpine Motorsports last year. 7 rides total: first was a gas leak at the tank. Next was an ignition wire that was left hanging and cut by the disc break. Next was a wire at the fuel pump that was shorting out. Every ride was a failure, so Dean took it back and said he would go over it from front to back so it would be ready to ride. He delivered it back to me (which was really nice and conveinient) and the very next trip, this is how it ran:

Their response, "These things happen." Very expensive lesson for me. I will never shop there again. Now I have a 2010 rear mount from Alberta Cycle that is an awesome machine.
View attachment 72033

View attachment 72034[/QU

For anybody out there thinking of installing a turbo, go with MCxpress rear mount. They are by far the best kits available but dont go to Riverside Yamaha in St Albert, Alberta. They love you when they want you to buy the kit but after you pay your ten grand you are a worthless customer to them. Those guys suck in there and id leave my sled broken in the garage before i ever did business with them again. Stay away from them, seriously.

nothing wrong with alpine turbos i have a combined 8 years with there turbos & no fires seen some bad ones with everybodys kits even mcx & yes have seen a few of them on fire.:beer:

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate it when I see or hear of these problems, even stock sleds burn down. A good installation is a huge part of a turbo setup. Things can and do fail but attention to detail and hose routing, wiring, workmanship etc. are all part of helping to lessen the risks. Good work takes time and with everyone hunting for the cheapest, some installers are choosing to cut a few corners, install time is the biggest area for cost cutting opportunities. I think there are going to be more of these incidents. Those people with the skills to do their own installs know how long it takes to do a good job. I would never rush an install to be cheaper, there is only one way to do the job. I just shake my head at some of the stuff I see. Owner's of these sleds also need to be vigilant in their preseason maintenance and checking over for any problems that may have arisen from a season of use. An exhaust leak, sticking brakes or bare wiring next to a fuel or oil line will make short work of any sled.

I agree. I recently purchased a sled, the guy mislead me on the mileage, didn't give parts that were promised, and took a month to do some work on another sled of mine as part of the deal(2 hour job). The same guy (who has a sled shop) also worked on a friends sled who paid the large and he is now on his own to re-route the wiring to prevent melting from installed pipe. my take, shame on me, I should have known better. same goes for my friend.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with alpine turbos i have a combined 8 years with there turbos & no fires seen some bad ones with everybodys kits even mcx & yes have seen a few of them on fire.:beer:

7 rides - 4 problems? Shouldn't happen from a shop like Alpine - got lemon? You are only as good as the last sled you build. Bare wires, leaking fuel? Does the install kit come with a fire extinguisher? To tell the customer "these things happen"? No, they don't..... Not when you drop the kind of $$$ guys are paying to get these properly installed..

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anybody out there thinking of installing a turbo, go with MCxpress rear mount. They are by far the best kits available but dont go to Riverside Yamaha in St Albert, Alberta. They love you when they want you to buy the kit but after you pay your ten grand you are a worthless customer to them. Those guys suck in there and id leave my sled broken in the garage before i ever did business with them again. Stay away from them, seriously.

I totally disagree with you on this one as well. I've seen guys screw-up MCxpress kits as easily as any other kit. As SLY stated...the install of a kit is the easiest place to cut corners and is the main thing that can screw a sled up. I have well over 60 hrs into the install of mine...may sound like I'm slow, but I can guarantee you that you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner install...not to mention that I've had 2 seasons of riding without having to do anything more than change oil, clean clutches, do the odd fuel pressure regulator adjustment, add gas and ride it!! Attention to detail does pay off with any turbo kit install:d

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as HRT. My estimated turbo install time was supposed to be 12-15 hours. I took my time and it took closer to 70 or 80 hours. What was the result, a pull and go sled. Add oil, add fuel and ride.

Big Bark

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has had problems with Alpine Motor Sports?

Looks like it was freshly rolled. Probably had a oil vent in the wrong spot which dripped out on the charger... who knows.

The Alpine Sleds work the best from what I have seen. I have nothing negative to say about them.

I blew a crankcase line that was plugged on my Turbo XP and it sprayed fuel / oil all over under the carbs. High Boost does crazy things and ch!t does happen. If you dont like it buy a stocker! My business partner has a Pro RMK and just got his Siber? kit on it and the orings were cut on the injectors leaking fuel everywhere and could have easily caused the same thing.
I feel bad for you but your not the only one. People tell me to go back to a stocker and I think ya that would be fun to eliminate issues, until somebody blows past me on the hill with a turbo!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a used turbo sled had to do some work and spent hours cleaning things up. Replaced oil feed line to turbo with much higher quality line and fittings, just little chit, but in the end I had an absolutely flawless winter and don't think I could ever go away from boost. Cutting corners will cost everytime. My sled has a boondocker kit.

boosted metal

Reaction score
Man, Bringing back painful memories of my alpine apex burning down 2 years ago. Had 3 fires on my past front mounts, couldnt get the last one out!! Ride mcx now

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok I ride a MCX 310 06 Apex......what is going to catch me on fire????? what to look for?

#1 thing is going to be a fuel system leak!

One other thing I would advise would be to check out the heat shield above the 4 bellows - it has a fibrous insulation pad underneath that protects the fuel tank from exhaust heat. Just check to make sure it's there and in good shape.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I ride a front mount boondocker on my 08 apex. All I can say is the turbo itself gets damn hot!! Especially on warmer spring days. No fires but I keep an eye on it as well. This year I'm adding another vent kit right in front of it. I believe it is the nature of front mounts though. :beer::d:beer:

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_1335.jpg

dont fool yourselves. chit can happen.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No really. It's on fire. 2008 Nytro MTX with front mount turbo done by Alpine Motorsports last year. 7 rides total: first was a gas leak at the tank. Next was an ignition wire that was left hanging and cut by the disc break. Next was a wire at the fuel pump that was shorting out. Every ride was a failure, so Dean took it back and said he would go over it from front to back so it would be ready to ride. He delivered it back to me (which was really nice and conveinient) and the very next trip, this is how it ran:

Their response, "These things happen." Very expensive lesson for me. I will never shop there again. Now I have a 2010 rear mount from Alberta Cycle that is an awesome machine.
View attachment 72033

View attachment 72034[/QU

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vernon motorsports. Nick king. Best guy in the turbo game that i have dealt with and his reputation speaks for itself My sled came alive after he set it up. My friend Renne St onge rolls on at least 4000 km per yr climbing the baddest terrain around..also on one built by him

Coxy

Reaction score
Did that mcx phazer burn up the club side of the Norns in castlegar? Chassis is still there if so...

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey that is how I feel about martin, hmmmmmmmmmmm I deal with riverside ski doo and had nothing but good to say about them, can't say anything about the other side. Well they do a good santa claus on a apex that the kids sit on every yr, gonna have to hide those picks of him on apex before he gets to old. LOL There are always people that are going to say bad stuff about every dealer out there, all I can say is good luck to all and have a great 2012 sledding season.

Top Bottom