MPI 180 kit nytro turbo , return pump problem, oil leaking.

nytro turbo

Reaction score
I bought a Mpi 180 kit for my nytro in the beginning of last season. Everything was perfect with the kit until I tried to start the sled after having it to sleep for 2 months in my heated garage. Smoke began to come out of the exhaust major after the sled's exhaust was getting hot. I checked the whole electric system that feeds the return pump, put apart the turbo exhaust and charge tube to find out that oil was coming out of the turbo both ways.

Pumps build water in it and then the bearing inside gets rusty. Rusty bearing = not good pumping wich translate into leaking of the oil trough the intake and exhaust by the turbo journal bearing. Guys at MPI working to solve the problem found a way to eliminate a good amount of the condensation in the pump by placing a rubber boot over it (see picture). They are suppose to sent me that new pump (warranty). MPI and E&S are very helpful and I'm very happy I'm dealing with people who takes care of their customer like that. Hopefully they will find a way to totally eliminate the condensation in their pumps because thats the only issue I had with the kit.

If you had that problem or have eventually, at least you will know what to check for.

nytro turbo

Reaction score
DSCN4654.JPG

Scott1

Reaction score
Pulled my oil pump last night, top half where motor is was full of rusty water. It appears to have entered through the hole where the wires enter the pump and the two holes on top. I suggest anyone running this kit check their return oil pump for moisture. If I had known this was a problem I could have just used silicone sealant to seal the problem areas.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe darren can give us some more info on this as it seems to becoming a common problem, also what mpi has done to resolve this issue.

blackford81

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. looking for a solution for my problem. didn't even get a year out of it and it is smoking.

vip

Reaction score
mpi has an update for pump same happened to mine and the new had a boot on top glued down so water can not get in

nytro turbo

Reaction score
I justinstalled my new pump fully sealed to prevent water penetration and condensation problem. Thx to Darren at E&S and Mac at Mac at MPI, quick answer and shipping. I started the sled and let it ran until temperature of coolant reached 178 degree and almost no more smoke..... I'll start it back soon and do the same to see if smoke is still present. Speaking with MPI they were not sure if it will solve the problem for good but they told me they would be behind it until it's solve, thx for support. They were talking about maybe relocating it....

nytro turbo

Reaction score
Just started back the sled and smoke all gone, so problem solved ! Let it ran for several minutes and looks like new !

Top Bottom