Moving to Revy!

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
With the way work is in the prairies right now, and the epic snowfall BC is supposed to be getting this winter, I'm thinking now might be a great time for me to make a move to Revy. Wondering if anyone could offer any advice on moving to a mountain town from the prairies. I figure there must be a few people on here who have made the jump. Hoping to find some good people to ride with when I am there, just not really sure how to go about it. I've been riding in BC for a few seasons now, but only ever with friends from Saskatchewan and Alberta. I haven't spent a lot of time in Revy, but I've heard a lot of good things about the area and the town.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You wont find a room to rent, or a place to rent, all you see on classifieds in Revy is people in town and looking for a room to rent, most from overseas.
Only option you really have is to stay at the powder inn for $1000 a month, but reading some trip advisor reviews, seen some bed bugs and that creeeeeeeped me out.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the way work is in the prairies right now, and the epic snowfall BC is supposed to be getting this winter, I'm thinking now might be a great time for me to make a move to Revy. Wondering if anyone could offer any advice on moving to a mountain town from the prairies. I figure there must be a few people on here who have made the jump. Hoping to find some good people to ride with when I am there, just not really sure how to go about it. I've been riding in BC for a few seasons now, but only ever with friends from Saskatchewan and Alberta. I haven't spent a lot of time in Revy, but I've heard a lot of good things about the area and the town.
What will you do for work???

Malikwa or sicamous is way cheaper and easier to find a normal priced place

Lots more work west also

I did 3 years ago ( Alberta all my life to sicamous ) just about to this day, would not go back ever

sent while drinking tea's

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sicamous is way better and you'll be able to find a room for winter summer is another story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
What will you do for work???

Malikwa or sicamous is way cheaper and easier to find a normal priced place

Lots more work west also

I did 3 years ago ( Alberta all my life to sicamous ) just about to this day, would not go back ever

I should be a 4th year electrical apprentice by end of this year and I've got a lot of industrial experience. Most likely going to try and find another camp job after I'm finished school. Figured that would give me some flexibility to live where I want. Would take local work too if I could find some that paid decent though. I guess one of the main reasons I considered Revy is that it seems like there's a lot going on there for such a small town, thought it might make it easier to meet people. I had considered Radium as well since I know a couple that lives there but I wasn't sure if I wanted to live in quite that small of a town. Was the lower cost of living your main draw for Sicamous or you like the town better overall?

Last edited:

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Sicamous is way better and you'll be able to find a room for winter summer is another story

What is it that you like better about Sicamous? I've only ever really driven through Sicamous on my way to Kamloops or Vancouver, never really explored the town much.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For starters less skiers, in the summer your on the lake, if memory serves me correctly the winter population is like 5000 where the summer is like 50'000 so service is exceptional in the winter and prices are reasonable during the summer rent is higher but if you lock in a one year lease now you'll be ok and there's always something to do where as revy is a one season town in my opinion I do like revy but it is getting really crowded in the winter and the prices on food and lodging are getting pretty steep just my opinion the locals in Sicamous are top notch and Sledded are treated well the hills are getting busyier but not nearly as bad as revy

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
For starters less skiers, in the summer your on the lake, if memory serves me correctly the winter population is like 5000 where the summer is like 50'000 so service is exceptional in the winter and prices are reasonable during the summer rent is higher but if you lock in a one year lease now you'll be ok and there's always something to do where as revy is a one season town in my opinion I do like revy but it is getting really crowded in the winter and the prices on food and lodging are getting pretty steep just my opinion the locals in Sicamous are top notch and Sledded are treated well the hills are getting busyier but not nearly as bad as revy

That's some great info thanks a lot. Think I might need to take a closer look there.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you fly in and out to camps on the companies dime?

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Yeah quite often the company pays for the flights. Sometimes means driving to a certain airport to catch the flight on your own time but I didn't mind it once I got used to it. The way theyve kept cutting out wages around home it's a trade I was willing to make. To live out west though I'd be willing to work for a bit less to stay local though. Plus I'd save a fortune on gas not driving to BC from Saskatchewan once a month haha.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should be a 4th year electrical apprentice by end of this year and I've got a lot of industrial experience. Most likely going to try and find another camp job after I'm finished school. Figured that would give me some flexibility to live where I want. Would take local work too if I could find some that paid decent though. I guess one of the main reasons I considered Revy is that it seems like there's a lot going on there for such a small town, thought it might make it easier to meet people. I had considered Radium as well since I know a couple that lives there but I wasn't sure if I wanted to live in quite that small of a town. Was the lower cost of living your main draw for Sicamous or you like the town better overall?
Revy fir a old, old house is like 300 k plus

Where sicamous is get a nice big new ish house for that

Cost of gas, food, you name is way cheaper

Revy has tourist tax built into every single thing

Only thing more expensive here than Alberta is gas, and booze was till nothead upped that

If you have any questions, pm me

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah quite often the company pays for the flights. Sometimes means driving to a certain airport to catch the flight on your own time but I didn't mind it once I got used to it. The way theyve kept cutting out wages around home it's a trade I was willing to make. To live out west though I'd be willing to work for a bit less to stay local though. Plus I'd save a fortune on gas not driving to BC from Saskatchewan once a month haha.
They have lots of flights to and from Kamloops or Kelowna airports now

For all the people that fly in and out of camp jobs for work

From sicamous 1 to 1.5 hours to Either airport

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Come to the Lower Mainland. You can work as much as you can handle. Its almost impossible to find a good electrician. It's expensive to live but the wages should help a bit.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also one more thing, Kelowna is booming right now, bet any money you would have no problem getting something around there for new house set ups

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also one more thing, Kelowna is booming right now, bet any money you would have no problem getting something around there for new house set ups

Wife and I drove through there this summer. Really liked it! If we lose our jobs here we are thinking Kelowna or Kamloops

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope it's not just you mark

Kelowna and Kamloops both sucks at rush hour

Top Bottom